No Odd Ball Band this Year Glenn?

If Poisonblack is any way ProgPower-worthy, that's something I'd almost be interested in sponsoring. I just sort of assumed they'd be too far outside the "ProgPower" realm.

And Scar Symmetry is...Scar Symmetry. I absolutely love that band.

I wouldn't mind seeing November's Doom as the oddball, haven't they played ProgPower Europe?

If Poisonblack is any way ProgPower-worthy, that's something I'd almost be interested in sponsoring. I just sort of assumed they'd be too far outside the "ProgPower" realm.

And Scar Symmetry is...Scar Symmetry. I absolutely love that band.

I wouldn't mind seeing November's Doom as the oddball, haven't they played ProgPower Europe?

I'm not sure if they'd fit or not either, but I sure do love me some Pale Haunt Departure.

A real oddball and semi-fave of the forum members would be Riverside. I know Glenn has said in the past that the visa issues prevent this from happening, but maybe that's changed. However, based on the slots left, I don't think they're worthy yet. I would've picked them lower...

I don't consider these bands oddball but the fact that they don't sing in english or it's hard to understand their english might put them in that category, all that aside they play kick ass music that stands on its own regardless of lyrics.

1> Wizards' Hymm
2> Echo of Dalriada

Ruthven, Novembers Doom would be awsome but not for progpower. something local maybe.

IMO an oddball band would be something like Diablo Swing Orchestra. It is swing music with distored guitars and an operatic female vocalist. The whole thing has a sadistic feel to it. Mix Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Nightwish and Silence of the Lambs together and that's DSO.

Haha, so I found this interview a few months ago and reading the comments about Glenn never promising oddballs made me think of it. From Metal-Rules.com:

Some might say: ”wouldn't the festival grab more fans if you included death and black metal bands on the bill?” BUT, isn’t the whole point of ProgPower to showcase a form of metal that isn't very "popular" in the US, which is what makes the festival different from Milwaukee Metalfest, for example, which is almost all death and black metal bands. That's what makes ProgPower special!! Isn't that right??

Correct. If you want chicken, go to a fast food chain. If you want Filet Mignon, then come to the steak house. That said, I do like to throw the crowd a curveball every year. There will always be one band that I book that makes people go, "WTF?"

:heh:

IMO an oddball band would be something like Diablo Swing Orchestra. It is swing music with distored guitars and an operatic female vocalist. The whole thing has a sadistic feel to it. Mix Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Nightwish and Silence of the Lambs together and that's DSO.

I have to find this album.

After Forever as headliner is odd ball enough for me.

I'm still scratching my head on that one. How do we go from Angra/Stratovarius one year to Sonata Arctica/After Forever?

Mad bogosity. Virgin Steele would make a better headliner.

Still, I love and support the festival.

The Michael

I'm still scratching my head on that one. How do we go from Angra/Stratovarius one year to Sonata Arctica/After Forever?

Mad bogosity.

The Michael

Are you aware that Sonata Arctica last album sold more copies in the U.S. than Stratovarius? Their last album sold more copies worldwide than Angra? Are you aware that Sonata Arctica sold a hell of a lot more tickets on their debut U.S. tour than either Stratovarius or Angra? You may not like Sonata as much as either "old school" power metal band, but they have surpassed both in popularity in the U.S. The torch has been passed and anytime that happens, a certain faction of fans of the previous leaders will refuse to acknowledge it.

After Forever is a co-headliner, not the headline on Saturday. The combined billing of After Forever & Primal Fear has a larger status by far than a similar situation in the past (IV- Rage & Evergrey).

I have posted on VS before. They have not drawn more than 50 people at the previous shows in NYC or at Jaxx. They could not headline this festival. Your taste/preference is blinding your ability to look at things rationale from a business perspective.

Thanks for the support though.

Glenn,

Speaking of record sales, where can this kind of information be found? Are you getting it from the record labels? Just curious, as I have looked online a bit in the past for this type of info but have not found anything that is available to the public.

Sonata is huge... that's a givin, There headline status at progpower is long overdue in my mind... and After Forever are deserving of a shot because they one of the leaders in the new wave of FFBs!!! ... And I think they are going to slay!!

Glenn,

Speaking of record sales, where can this kind of information be found? Are you getting it from the record labels? Just curious, as I have looked online a bit in the past for this type of info but have not found anything that is available to the public.

Soundscan numbers are only available to those merchants/labels/distributors etc. that pay for the service. Thus, my sources are varied.