No Odd Ball Band this Year Glenn?

Melodicrock.com gives out Soundscan numbers as part of membership privileges.

I'd say Raintime and After Forever are oddballs, at least by the standards of previous progpowers(they have death vocals).

Primal Fear has some death vocals too. So will Threshold. Death vocals aren't 'oddball' anymore.

There is no oddball this year. There doesn't have to be. Raintime will surely be the closest (and I thought Glenn stated they were an oddball selection), based on their style... but I don't think they are. If Mercenary wasn't... how can Raintime be?

Primal Fear has some death vocals too. So will Threshold. Death vocals aren't 'oddball' anymore.

There is no oddball this year. There doesn't have to be. Raintime will surely be the closest (and I thought Glenn stated they were an oddball selection), based on their style... but I don't think they are. If Mercenary wasn't... how can Raintime be?
PRIMAL FEAR doesn't use death vocals at all. I believe you're mistaken.

SOrry, but Primal Fear does NOT use death vocals at all.

Listen to Carniwar. Its pretty close to a growl when the chorus sings 'Carniwar' (This song kicks some serious ass btw. I hope they play it -- the Seven Seals album is great all around, I hope they play a lot off of it). You'll also hear some (again close not full gutteral) on Diabolus.

Listen to Carniwar. Its pretty close to a growl when the chorus sings 'Carniwar' (This song kicks some serious ass btw. I hope they play it -- the Seven Seals album is great all around, I hope they play a lot off of it). You'll also hear some (again close not full gutteral) on Diabolus.

I agree with your assessment of Seven Seals, and I too hope they play Carniwar. But the gruff vocals just aren't that extreme. At best you could say they are more akin to Thrash, but it would take a real stretch to call them Death vox.

I agree with your assessment of Seven Seals, and I too hope they play Carniwar. But the gruff vocals just aren't that extreme. At best you could say they are more akin to Thrash, but it would take a real stretch to call them Death vox.

Fair enough. I kind of feel the same I guess.

Umm...no death vocals in Threshold...or Primal Fear as others have pointed out. Your point fails.

Aye, but my point about Orphaned Land, Mercenary, & Epica not being the oddballs at their PPs nulls the original comment about Raintime & After Forever being oddballs because of death vocals.

Aye, but my point about Orphaned Land, Mercenary, & Epica not being the oddballs at their PPs nulls the original comment about Raintime & After Forever being oddballs because of death vocals.

Where does the concept that there can only be 1 oddball per year come from?
People keep saying THE oddball as if another unusual band isn't odd enough, even if they don't fit the ProgPower mold. Last year I counted 4 oddballs: 3 stylistic and 1 status. Every band you listed I'd consider an oddball, even if they weren't dubbed THE oddball. How PC69 is somehow odder than Orphaned Land is beyond me.

honestly if freak kitchen isnt different enough for ya then i dont know what to tell you.

they might have been last year, but they are definatly the group that "fits" the least.

dont get me wrong though, as ive said many times, i thought freak kitchen put on the best prog power show ive seen out of the two i have been to..

Are you aware that Sonata Arctica last album sold more copies in the U.S. than Stratovarius? Their last album sold more copies worldwide than Angra? Are you aware that Sonata Arctica sold a hell of a lot more tickets on their debut U.S. tour than either Stratovarius or Angra? You may not like Sonata as much as either "old school" power metal band, but they have surpassed both in popularity in the U.S. The torch has been passed and anytime that happens, a certain faction of fans of the previous leaders will refuse to acknowledge it.

After Forever is a co-headliner, not the headline on Saturday. The combined billing of After Forever & Primal Fear has a larger status by far than a similar situation in the past (IV- Rage & Evergrey).

I have posted on VS before. They have not drawn more than 50 people at the previous shows in NYC or at Jaxx. They could not headline this festival. Your taste/preference is blinding your ability to look at things rationale from a business perspective.

Thanks for the support though.

Oh wow, I never noticed your response to this until now!

Sonata Arctica I agree with you on and understand -- it was mainly After Forever that I was moaning about. Before you even responded with your defenses, I already knew Virgin Steele drew low crowds in New York. And without a doubt, Sonata Arctica and Dragonforce are the two biggest bands in the power metal scene right now -- just like Dream Theater and Opeth are the two biggest titans in the prog scene right now.

I picked up an After Forever album for the first time a week ago and enjoy it, but I still don't understand why hey are headlining. Maybe I'm just getting older and more crotchety over the years :lol:

And by the way, the comment that implied I'm "old school" for thinking Stratovarius should be above Sonata Arctica is making me feel very old thank you! :lol: I'm only 26!

I'll show all these young whipper snappers how the double kick was meant to be!

The Michael