No Odd Ball Band this Year Glenn?

Ah, the fun of overlabeling and pigeonholing.

If you have to debate whether a certain band is an "oddball" or not, then they probably aren't one.

:)

Ken

It speaks volumes about how narrow the definition of acceptable is to some folks. I like reading the "oddball band" question every year.

Then again, I tend to think my taste lies somewhere outside the statistical bell-curves

You want "ODDBALL" then get GHOULTOWN, a combination of Dark, progressive rockibilly.

That's just Evil being in his regular dick mode during the announcement process. Any other time, he's a good guy.

:) thats me mr. dick :)

seriously tho, i respect glenn and like him... and in respecting glenn i have not made ANY negative comments regarding this years line-up despite really only being into 2 of the announced bands.. Firewind and Vanden Plas

and there really wasnt anything "dickish" about that comment just called it like i saw it with no disrespect to anyone or any band.

An "oddball" for a headliner such as Devin Townsend would be a bigger flop than having Whitesnake headline. When an oddball like Devin headlines this fest, it is the beginning of the end, and the start of the transformation of ProgPower into, "Oddfest". :puke:

CLearly Devin Towsend would not be a good option. Now Whitesnake would rule:headbang:

Are me, Pellaz, and BenMech the only people on this board who have listened to "Ocean Machine?" I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all of Townsend's bands, so maybe I've only heard albums that sounded like they would fit into ProgPower.

I mean, yeah, Strapping Young Lad would not be appropriate for the festival. Yeah, the guy has an off-kilter appearance and stage presence. And yeah, I doubt that he lists Helloween as one of his primary influences. But I'm always wondering what it is about the guy that elicits the abuse. I can't even really even think of him as an "oddball" because it doesn't sound too far afield of what I thought progressive metal was supposed to be like.

...FWIW, Whitesnake would be cool.

Eh, I'd definitely pick Devin Townsend over Whitesnake - and Ruthven, I just picked up Ocean Machine a week ago. Haven't given it the proper listen yet, but after enjoy Synchestra so much, I bet it's just as brilliant as I've heard.

Dont worry ..all yer girly wine coolers will be there ;)

LOL yeaaaaaaaa oooooooook!!! Last I checked I wasnt the guy that needed to water my beers down with lemons and oranges ya lightweight!

These look like wine coolers to you? ;)

JCbeer6pack.jpg

Are me, Pellaz, and BenMech the only people on this board who have listened to "Ocean Machine?" I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all of Townsend's bands, so maybe I've only heard albums that sounded like they would fit into ProgPower.

DTB is definitely not 'odd' to me. Although he is eclectic, most of what he does is his own version of musical styles that already existed. But some people do think he is odd, which is okay. He has a goofy personality, but it's not really strange. Most of us probably have a wacky friend who behaves a lot like Dev, it's just they aren't famous.

I mean, yeah, Strapping Young Lad would not be appropriate for the festival. Yeah, the guy has an off-kilter appearance and stage presence. And yeah, I doubt that he lists Helloween as one of his primary influences. But I'm always wondering what it is about the guy that elicits the abuse. I can't even really even think of him as an "oddball" because it doesn't sound too far afield of what I thought progressive metal was supposed to be like.

Ocean Machine kicks some serious ass :headbang: