No Odd Ball Band this Year Glenn?

Are me, Pellaz, and BenMech the only people on this board who have listened to "Ocean Machine?" I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all of Townsend's bands, so maybe I've only heard albums that sounded like they would fit into ProgPower.

I mean, yeah, Strapping Young Lad would not be appropriate for the festival. Yeah, the guy has an off-kilter appearance and stage presence. And yeah, I doubt that he lists Helloween as one of his primary influences. But I'm always wondering what it is about the guy that elicits the abuse. I can't even really even think of him as an "oddball" because it doesn't sound too far afield of what I thought progressive metal was supposed to be like.

...FWIW, Whitesnake would be cool.

I don't understand the abuse either... Ocean Machine was incredible and Devin is a riot on stage. I fully agree with whoever said that DTB seems fitting. I never thought of them as an oddball...

Devin's industrial project is going to co-headline Sat ;)

Are you talking about Front Line Assembly? I think they're pretty cool, but I admit the only reason I checked them out in the first place was because Devin did their guitars. However I think it's been about a decade since he worked with them. Not that I'd be unhappy if he went back.

Buckethead would be an oddball... and not so unlikely to happend... Opeth would be too (but I doubt anyone would put Opeth to co-headline as opposed to headline this type of festivals), Dillinger Escape Plan would be odd but VERY unlikely to happend (their music is waaay off of what usually fans of the festival like), Primus could be one (but I doubt they would co-headline too), Meshuggah (but the venue would explode), Porcupine Tree (but they wouldn't be co-headlining)... it's really a toss up.

Dillinger Escape Plan would be odd but VERY unlikely to happend (their music is waaay off of what usually fans of the festival like)

And dangerous...l experienced them at Gigantour. When the water bottle that the lead singer threw went over the soundboard & whizzed past my head...l came to attention real quick. Singer & 1 of the guitarists had a love/hate relationship. The singer dodged a headstock all during the set & everybody (including audience) dodged a mic stand...whew.

SymphonyOfDreams said:
Meshuggah (but the venue would explode)

Ain't that the truth. :heh:

And dangerous...l experienced them at Gigantour. When the water bottle that the lead singer threw went over the soundboard & whizzed past my head...l came to attention real quick. Singer & 1 of the guitarists had a love/hate relationship. The singer dodged a headstock all during the set & everybody (including audience) dodged a mic stand...whew.

Funny enough I had a dream last night about being in a concert where they where playing, and I clearly recall them playing "43% Burnt" as I was dodging them throwing stuff at the crowd and me trying to stay alive inside the mosh pit. It was a fun dream. :)

Ain't that the truth. :heh:

Hell yeah! and if the venue dont explode, the crowd will! :headbang:

Are you talking about Front Line Assembly? I think they're pretty cool, but I admit the only reason I checked them out in the first place was because Devin did their guitars. However I think it's been about a decade since he worked with them. Not that I'd be unhappy if he went back.

Naw. He's got another project but it's actually ambient and not industrial.

You can now order Devin Townsend's latest creation, HUMMER, via the Hevydevy Records web site. HUMMER is Devin's second ambient release (after DEVLAB), and only 500 copies are available. Devin previously said that the "recording (like DEVLAB) is really different so don't expect something similar to the DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND or STRAPPING YOUNG LAD."