Perfectly tune guitars, chords ring out 100% tuned?

I own 2 SE's (Mike Mushok Baritone and the SE One) and they stand up to my Custom 22 and 24 in terms of tuning stability and intonation.

I own the Musok and the thing is golden in terms of tone and intonation.

Get a better guitar. That's really what it comes down to. A real great guitar will play in tune nearly anywhere. Key word, nearly.

Yes, Gibsons are notoriously horrible when it comes to intonation issues. This is specially true from the 12th to 1st frets, because the scale length is SLIGHTLY shorter from the 12th to the 1st than it is from the 12th to the 22nd; this is an inherent design flaw that has existed on the Les Paul since it was first produced.

And to add to my earlier comment, obviously programming the guitar parts isnt ideal but its a good fall back and last resort

but in My experience its more about the player and technique.
I have will a guitar player who throws parts completely out wack and tune and then I tell him to tune and its perfect and then we check its setup and nothing has change and then after the band falls asleep I pull up the same guitar with the same exact settings and setup and I play it fine and no tuning/intonation problems.
Things I make bands do when I notice this stuff happening is have them switch fingers, say he is using the index finger to bar the chord, I would have him switch the the middle. Different finger pressures can make a huge difference and most of the time players dont know about that.

Just some food for the brain and some more ideas to help you with the problems you are having :)

As for the fact of new Strings tuning out faster, try Dunlop strings, they need only a bit stretch then they never get out of tune!

As it's been said before, a guitar with perfect intonation all over the neck isn't ganna happen anytime soon. If you can't get over this, well, you could always invent something to make it work and become rich with it.
Otherwise, just make sure you use a good pick attack when tuning, because if you pick like a sissy when tuning and then beat the strings hard when recording, you will be way sharp, tuning-wise. Then again, a lot has already been said, like not bending, no useless pressure on strings, etc...

but in My experience its more about the player and technique.

This usually. the first thing I would do is check each individual note in the chord your trying to fret. If they're all close, then you may be pulling it out just a bit by how you're fretting the chord. I'm not a great guitar player, and I struggle with this ALL the time. When recording guitarists I've tuned to the chord shape many times before, and just punched in that chord, then moved on.

Also, do you have a nice tuner? Try one of the Peterson virtual strobes. They're 10 times more accurate than a chromatic, and I hate recording guitars without them.

What is the deal with Gibsons ? I have a SG Standard that sounds godly, but in fact I have a few intonation issues with it. The first 3 or 4 frets on the thickest string always sounds sharp and the first two frets on the G string sound flat - always. . Further up the neck, from the 5th fret, it sounds awesome.

Anyway, if a particular chord sounds bad, just tune it note by note. I don't tune chords unless I REALLY notice it and it is annoying.

Don't use a guitar with tall frets or scalloped fretboard. Some lead guitarist like tall frets and/or each fret sanded down, but this wreaks havoc for intonation, since putting more pressure on strings makes them go sharp, Also, if you had a pro work on your guitar, and you are having intonation probs, get your money back.
If you are looking for a cheap guitar with good intonation - go with BC Rich Warlock around $150

OMG, the Gibby-Hate in this thread makes me want to shit in someone's cereal. And for fuck's sake, whatever happened to ballsy chord-banging rock n' roll? Here's a simple rule... If it sounds good, it's good. If it's sounds like shit, then it's shit. Damn.

Don't use a guitar with tall frets or scalloped fretboard. Some lead guitarist like tall frets and/or each fret sanded down, but this wreaks havoc for intonation, since putting more pressure on strings makes them go sharp,
I always thought that tall frets and scalloped fretboards were made so you didn't need to put as much pressure on the strings when fretting and made fretting easier. If the guitarist is pushing the strings down more, it's just his shitty technique, not the frets.

I always thought that tall frets and scalloped fretboards were made so you didn't need to put as much pressure on the strings when fretting and made fretting easier. If the guitarist is pushing the strings down more, it's just his shitty technique, not the frets.

Yeah, not like you go trying to squeeze the life out of the neck right after a fresh fret-crowning. Nothing wrong with high-crowned frets or a scalloped neck if it's what you're comfortable with. Even without these things, you shouldn't have to press the tips of your digits flat against the wood. No matter what your fret type, you should only be applying enough pressure for the note to resonate.

If anything, going for too long without dressing/crowning your frets is worse. When there's not enough fret there to resonate the note... well, you get the point I'm sure.

OMG, the Gibby-Hate in this thread makes me want to shit in someone's cereal. And for fuck's sake, whatever happened to ballsy chord-banging rock n' roll? Here's a simple rule... If it sounds good, it's good. If it's sounds like shit, then it's shit. Damn.
I don't think it's hateful to point out a known issue with a brand as it relates directly to the original question. Nobody said they hated anything.
I largely agree with the second half of your post but the question wasn't "how much should I care?"

I don't think it's hateful to point out a known issue with a brand as it relates directly to the original question. Nobody said they hated anything.
I largely agree with the second half of your post but the question wasn't "how much should I care?"

No, you're right Egan. And really... I need to work on not posting when I come home drunk. So... yeah.... sorry about that.

Just remember, if you tune every chord to itself by ear, you will in fact be forcing any accompanying lead line to either be out of tune with it's backing or out of tune with itself.

As it's been said before, a guitar with perfect intonation all over the neck isn't ganna happen anytime soon. If you can't get over this, well, you could always invent something to make it work and become rich with it.

yellowttfb.jpg

Like this maybe?

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php

Vai has it on all his players.