Performance and Reaper?

AgeOfGeburah

Jun 3, 2009
Enköping, Sweden
Hi another Reaper question, how is the performance in Reaper?

I'm running a computer powered with 2 Xeon processors 2.8Ghz Each and 3Gb Ram and Reaper is stuttering when I'm monitoring 2 Guitar tracks with about 7 Plugins together.

I've been looking allaround in reaper to fix this performance issue, but cant find anything.

Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks!

Thats strange, I've had no such problems and i'm running an old version of reaper on a pretty similarly spec'd machine.
The performance on mine is so flawless I use it as my live guitar rig and mix FOH on it running lots of plugins on many channels

Yeah I've heard people saying it works flawless, I get much more out of Cubase however I'ts far from what I feel I could get out of this sytem.

I use my Firewire Interface Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Options / Preferences / Audio / Buffering / FX processing... / checked, 2, checked, 200ms, unchecked, checked
Optimize checked
Use native checked

Follwed your instructions there and this is what I have currently.

Stutter.JPG

You can also increase ASIO latency to something like 100 or even 200 miliseconds if you are just monitoring without live playing that MIDI.

Performance on reaper has always been 2x better for me than in cubase. However, when I get around 30-40 tracks with midi and symphonic vst's reaper starts crashing very often... I found out that if I render all midi tracks to .wav it stops crashing... but its not as convenient. Just wanted to post this complaint somewhere.

Performance on reaper has always been 2x better for me than in cubase. However, when I get around 30-40 tracks with midi and symphonic vst's reaper starts crashing very often... I found out that if I render all midi tracks to .wav it stops crashing... but its not as convenient. Just wanted to post this complaint somewhere.

Heard this before... seems like Reaper has issues with heavy virtual instruments, such as symphonic orchestras and stuff. That's quite disturbing but Reaper is developing incredibly fast, it's hard to say if it'll keep on crashing in the next patch... they fix so many things all the time.

What's the RAM usage like when it starts to crash?
Any Windows program will start to crash if it tries to go beyond 2GB, unless you activate the 3GB switch in the Windows boot file and Reaper is Large address Aware.

With synths you can reduce the max polyphony for better performance.

What's the RAM usage like when it starts to crash?
Any Windows program will start to crash if it tries to go beyond 2GB, unless you activate the 3GB switch in the Windows boot file and Reaper is Large address Aware.

With synths you can reduce the max polyphony for better performance.

it is around 1,5 gb usually. Thanks for the tips though!

Anyway reaper is my best choice at the moment, no flying way my cpu would keep this performance in cubase or protools.

P.s. the midi tracks are samples, they aren't synth tracks... i don't see where I can adjust polyphony in that particular vst.