Per's voice on next release?

Apr 23, 2006
im of the opinion that every opeth album sounds different, and in my contemplation of what there next release might sound like (not that i know) i was wondering if Per's voice in the next release might be more prominent. Mikael has said a number of times how gooder singer he was. dont get my wrong, Mikael IS the voice of opeth and i wouldnt change that, but is it a possibility?

I think that'd be great... even if it's just Per putting his voice down in the studio on the harmony sections that he'd sing live

I know some folks here won't agree, but even if Per sung a full song by himself, I'd find that interesting. it'd be something different. making him more of a "second" vocalist instead of a "backup" vocalist, if that distinction makes any sense

also, regarding Per, as I've said in another thread, he also plays guitar, so he could even serve as a 3rd guitarist when necessary - for songs on the new album, or for enhancing older songs live

basically he's a talented guy, and bringing him into the band added many more potential elements than just keyboards alone. it just depends on what they want to do. we'll see

Reactions: Tybud
im of the opinion that every opeth album sounds different, and in my contemplation of what there next release might sound like (not that i know) i was wondering if Per's voice in the next release might be more prominent. Mikael has said a number of times how gooder singer he was. dont get my wrong, Mikael IS the voice of opeth and i wouldnt change that, but is it a possibility?

This is a hard question. Mikael has just begun showing us what he can do with his clean singing, i hope Mikael uses Per's voice on the next album as a harmonizer, not silent backing vocals. But it's hard to say what will happen, no matter what it will fucking rule as usual.

Shit, I didn't know Per could play guitar! Maybe instead of pushing keys in everywhere possible they could leave some sections alone and add him on 3rd guitar? I'd be interested to hear his voice, maybe not as a full feature just yet but definitely give him a shot at maybe one song, or a few standout parts, and see how it sounds.

Yeah, let him sing a bit!
And after all, Mikael plays "additional mellotron" on GR so why not let Per play some "additional guitar" on the new album? :)

I think it is a very logical progression for Per to actually record backing vocals, and possibly even sing certain parts, ala Steven Wilson.
And, for certain songs, i think it'd be great if Per were to play guitar instead of keyboards.. But that i'm not too fussed about.

But seeing as Mikael is always about doing it different.. It'd be a bit silly of him not to try it.

A (hopeless) dream of mine is that on record and live, the majority of the band could harmonize in vocal parts, rather than Mikael just having several takes (with different notes in the harmony) of the same thing mixed together on a CD - or just him singing alone live.

Sort of like the 'Dead, or The Band. Per is the closest thing to that so far.