Question about the voice

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Im a wannabe singer :) that want to sing but doesnt feel 100% satisfied with my voice. Its a little bit childish and I want to sing some raspy notes (not growl) but my voice cant do that.
I want to sing rock/british pop or something. (dont ask me why)
Im almost 18 years old and offcourse in late puberty (almost full grown).
My question is how much the voice changes over the years from that? Lets say 18 years to 25 years old. Will it be more mature? more/less raspy? And will it be easier to do high notes?

Just curious...
None experience of that you know :)

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead

My question is how much the voice changes over the years from that? Lets say 18 years to 25 years old. Will it be more mature? more/less raspy? And will it be easier to do high notes?
Your voice will change quite a bit. I recorded a few demos of alternative rock stuff when I was 17 and my voice was quite high pitched and immature. Now when I play guitar (I'm 22) it's much more 'hard', if you want to call it that. Not terribly raspy, but a lot stronger. I also have the ability to make it a bit growly if I want to.

So just keep singing and your voice will develop, most likely in the way you want it to. :) Good luck.

Take one hand and cover your ear. Now, try to match the pitches to all the songs you listen to when you sing.... When you cover your ear you hear what everyone else hears (your "real" voice). Just practice for years and years and someday you'll sound good. Good luck.

But its impossible for me to reach the high notes on standard E tuning...It hurts when I sing in that mode so I always have to play them down to C#. I feel quite comfortable in that tune.
How much have you improved in high notes since some years of training? How much is it possible to improve?

But its impossible for me to reach the high notes on standard E tuning...It hurts when I sing in that mode so I always have to play them down to C#. I feel quite comfortable in that tune.
How much have you improved in high notes since some years of training? How much is it possible to improve?

Of course, the pitch of everyone's voice changes from person to person. It might be easier for you to sing lower notes than the high pitched ones. I suppose it depends on what you're singing.

I rarely practice scales, instead preferring to just sing the songs over and over again (and better still, write new ones. I found that each song that I wrote was a little more daring and demanding of my voice than the last!)

Remember that there are many different ways of sounding good. Jonas from Katatonia sounds great with his high pitched, gentle wail, whereas people like Devin Townsend love to cover the entire spectrum, and most often keep their voices strong. Just go with whatever feels right and don't try to make something of your voice that it probably isn't suited to. :)

At the moment I have some probs with my vocal chords, that's quite bad cause I love singing a lot. Last week I even could no more make myself understood properly :/ Today it's a lot better, sung a couple of songs yesterday and now my voice is quite flexible. I can sing very high notes as well as deep ones, I can scream and sing in a melancholic way; seldem has my voice been that good, but I fear it won't last for long :-(
Well, I'll be 17 at the end of October, and I guess my voice will also still develop quite a bit. Over the years my singing always became better because I sang more and more, the songs became more manifold and so my voice developed. I tried to make the singing more interesting and emotional etc. and it became. It's the best method I know, use your voice in the way you like it and it will become better, but if it doesn't manage those high note you better shouldn't overstrain them cause else you could eventually get probs with your vocal chords ;)

I recorded myself yesterday playing Nirvanas "Polly" and discovered that I sound almost like Mr Cobain himself.
Like I said...almost :)
But then...I cant do his broken screams. Offcourse...

Can somebody on this forum do a broken scream? :)

I recorded myself yesterday playing Nirvanas "Polly" and discovered that I sound almost like Mr Cobain himself.

uh oh..... ok.. breathe really deeply and let out an almighty death metal roar.

Then forget you ever recorded Polly (a good song, but one left for Kurt.)!;)

Originally posted by Domson as TIOBS
Is my dictionnary fucked up or what's the prob? Well I always thought that "vocal chord" sounds weird :rolleyes: it's the organ that creates the sound of your voice.

Yeah, you're right.... I'm not sure exactly what it is, but that's what we normally call the 'thing that makes you sing'!

Well we Germans say "Stimmbänder" and that's quite a well-known word, it's very familiar you know, but when I looked it up in the dictionnary some time ago I thought the translation "vocal chords" souds strange... but I didn't find anything else so I used that one ;)

Well, I do understand "Das ist en" because it's nearly the same in German ("Das ist ein") if I haven't misunderstood it, but "vattenspruter"? Wattepfropfen? :D

I once had a few Latin lyrics in an old song, and my Song "Abschaum" ("Scum") contains German, English and even Frensh lyrics :eek: