__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Persefone – Truth Inside The Shades
Adipocere Records – 2004
By Russell Garwood

persefone.jpg

Let us first clear one thing up; I’m an absolute sucker for well used symphonics. It was only a few weeks ago that I got Shade Empire’s Synthetic, a symphonic death/black metal album that made me squeal with joy like a kid in a candy store. Now along come Persefone. Here we have another helping of symphonic death/black metal, again with contemporary yet grandiose synths. These vary greatly; at times solitary, contemplative piano lines haunt Truth Inside The Shades, while at others dramatic and completely synthetic tones are just as fitting. Everything in-between said extremes is used as well, always to great effect, from theatrical string arrangements, to melodramatic vox tones. These bring to mind not only classical influences, but clear progisms, at times, as well. Fronting the music we have the – again, notably varied – vocals. Clean singing is well placed and performed, adding an immediacy to some of the choruses, while there are numerous styles of distorted vox. The most notable are a guttural death metal growl, and a higher black screech, often layered or interwoven. Recitation rounds off a diverse yet excellent performance.

The guitars show many neo-classical leads, sometimes betraying the slightest hints of a power metal leaning, while countless graceful and melodic leads morph into fleeting solos and bombastic orchestrals. Dual lines are pervasive, and the rhythm work holds real crunch, creating a reasonably heavy sound. Occasional acoustics even go far enough to show flamenco refrains. The rhythm section is of an equally high standard. Slap-heavy bass is always a major presence, and usually melodic. Finally we have the drums, which are almost mechanically tight, with lots of kick drum and effective fills.

As you would expect from such a sound, this is all topped off with a clear and well balanced production job, allowing every single layer in the (sometimes mind-bendingly complex) music room to breath. And, cementing all of this, we have some top-notch song writing. Reflective passages, intricate metallic sections, and theatrical crescendos all fit perfectly alongside one another over the course of the six superlative tracks.

As you can probably tell, I was very pleasantly surprised by Persefone’s music. There really is something here for everyone. Prog fans will love the technicality and graceful composition, death enthusiasts will appreciate the heavier elements, black metal lovers will find something in the vocals and rhythm guitars, and those with even a passing interest in power metal will salivate at some of the solos and leads from the axe section of this sextet. Need I say more?

8.5/10

Official Adipocere Records website
Official Persefone website