Best metal frontman

• Halford

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Ozzy

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dio

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
I wouldn't call the Halford of today very flamboyant as he barely moves around at all. His voice is going down as well and he seems to be moving to Ozzy-land pretty fast, sadly.
Dio (the oldest of the bunch btw) is still as great as ever though. He was never one for acrobatics but he has that commanding aura around him and the voice has aged very well too. He can still pull off any song from his back catalogue which is not the case with Halford.

But as desert_demon said, Dickinson is missing from the list and he'd get my vote for sure, whether it's now or the golden days we're talking about. As a matter of fact now just might be his golden days, he was very convincing when I saw him last July. He actually sounded a lot better than on the last few studio albums, in the high notes especially. Loud and clear, no strain. When it comes to showmanship, he's always been a perfect 10.

Dio is 66.
Halford is 57.
Ozzy is 60.

My vote goes to Dio. The way he still sings at his age is incredible. Halford is still fine in the studio, but very disappointing live, where he barely moves at all and struggles with the high parts. Ozzy has become a joke now, and it's sad cause he was an important part in the history of metal. He was never a great singer but did a great job w ith his distinctive voice back in the day.

Bruce Dickinson should have been in this poll IMO. Still sings great at age 50 and his by far the frontman with the most energy on stage. The guy is fit for sure.

Dio is 66.
Halford is 57.
Ozzy is 60.

My vote goes to Dio. The way he still sings at his age is incredible. Halford is still fine in the studio, but very disappointing live, where he barely moves at all and struggles with the high parts. Ozzy has become a joke now, and it's sad cause he was an important part in the history of metal. He was never a great singer but did a great job w ith his distinctive voice back in the day.

Bruce Dickinson should have been in this poll IMO. Still sings great at age 50 and his by far the frontman with the most energy on stage. The guy is fit for sure.
i loved Ozzy's new album Black Rain, idk how he is live but i found it great, same thing with Nostradamus and i figured it wouldnt be a poll w/o dio...and yes bruce is amazing but imo i dont see him being better then dio or halford

I picked Ozzy just to keep him in the running. :D He's probably my favorite anyway. His voice is one of a kind and that scores points for me. Plus, Ozzy was a hero of mine growing up. I remember way back in 10th grade (1980-81) using a blue ink pen to write OZZY on my fingers to match his tattoo. His catalogue with Sabbath is legendary, and Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman were masterpieces. He chalked up a few more really good albums after that as well.

I don't hold The Osbournes tv show against him (I thought some of it was hilarious) or his bitch/wife Sharon. Ozzy's still cool to me, and always will be.

I'll again revert back to my high school notebook-cover days and simply state: OZZY RULES, DIO DROOLS! :lol:

Can anyone help me...for the longest time i have not been able to decide who the best metal front man is. Im down to either Rob Halford, Ozzy Osbourne, or Ronnie James Dio. Now if your going to answer dont go with your favorite band obviously. All the guys(and more) are awesome and have done so much so there really isnt the best i just want opinions.
It's a matter of personal taste and personal opinion... no one vocalist is the "best" if not everyone agrees so therefor it is mute to say which one is the best... that being said my personal choice is Ozzy... his voice was distinctive of the three and he was the most entertaining... showman wise..

I picked Ozzy just to keep him in the running. :D He's probably my favorite anyway. His voice is one of a kind and that scores points for me. Plus, Ozzy was a hero of mine growing up. I remember way back in 10th grade (1980-81) using a blue ink pen to write OZZY on my fingers to match his tattoo. His catalogue with Sabbath is legendary, and Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman were masterpieces. He chalked up a few more really good albums after that as well.

I don't hold The Osbournes tv show against him (I thought some of it was hilarious) or his bitch/wife Sharon. Ozzy's still cool to me, and always will be.

I'll again revert back to my high school notebook-cover days and simply state: OZZY RULES, DIO DROOLS! :lol:
+10 .. Ozzy!!! :worship: Ronnie the midget :lol:

I stand by Geoff Tate's statement:
"After hearing Dio-era sabbath stuff the Ozzy stuff just doesn't thrill me. Melodically is just "bleh!" - simplistic and one dimensional".

At the time I was rather taken aback, but when I compared the two it became very apparent. Dio slays Ozzy (as a singer), although I love Ozzy's nut personality.

i mostly wanted to see the arguments that would come out of the thread, why people chose who but yes it is up to who you like the most but that kinda comes down to the overall question of why do you like them the most

+10 .. Ozzy!!! :worship: Ronnie the midget :lol:

Well the midget is 100 times better frontman than Ozzy in his prime, he still have the voice, composes, had scenic presence and doesn't have a wife that commands him, a pathetic TV show and a daughter in rehab following his father footsteps :heh:

And whatever people like it in here or no, as much as Black Sabbath with Ozzy is a cornerstone of all metal and modern doom, "Heaven And Hell" IS the best metal album in history...and Ozzy is not part of it.

And in case people wonder why I come so vehemently on this is because is al about an argument:

ar·gu·ment
Pronunciation: \ˈär-gyə-mənt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin argumentum, from arguere
Date: 14th century
1 obsolete : an outward sign : indication
2 a: a reason given in proof or rebuttal b: discourse intended to persuade
3 a: the act or process of arguing : argumentation b: a coherent series of statements leading from a premise to a conclusion c: quarrel , disagreement

And of course to piss Larry off :lol:

Well the midget is 100 times better frontman than Ozzy in his prime, he still have the voice, composes, had scenic presence and doesn't have a wife that commands him, a pathetic TV show and a daughter in rehab following his father footsteps :heh:
I don't think Ozzy has lost his voice because what he sings is not high pitched ala Dio and Halford so it does not strain his voice. He always has scenic presence so you can take that back. As for the wife, show and daughter. That has nothing to do with the music. But just to be fair we do not know what goes on in the Midgets' personal life. He could have a wife commanding him, kids with drug problems etc. but the point still is it has nothing to do with the music.

As for why I said Ronnie the Midget, it was because Ozzy used to use a little midget in his show ala 1983 Diary of a Madman tour nicknamed Ronnie the Midget...

And whatever people like it in here or no, as much as Black Sabbath with Ozzy is a cornerstone of all metal and modern doom, "Heaven And Hell" IS the best metal album in history...and Ozzy is not part of it.
Really Rolondo... H&H is a great album (really overrated imo but good album) but it is certainly not the best metal album of all time... not even close... that is just personal taste and opinion not fact... and i rather think Ozzy is glad he was not a part of that album... he knows his Sabbath albums were ALOT more influential... :Smug:

And of course to piss Larry off :lol:
::: glues Barbara Bush's shaven "bush" onto your head so you don't reflect sunlight anymore ::: :lol: Btw I'm going to CR for a week end of Feb til March 2nd. Not sure if I'll have free time though. Things to do.

Ozzy played a small part in a few great songs, but his voice is nassel as hell, his melodies predictable and his range and dynamics non existant. There are two vocalists whos voices always grated on me and Ozzy was one of them and Neil Young the other.

there is no best metal album

Has to be one Greg, otherwise what's the point in life? :cry:

Really Rolondo... H&H is a great album (really overrated imo but good album)

Overrated? o_O You need a brain scan seriously :p

::: glues Barbara Bush's shaven "bush" onto your head so you don't reflect sunlight anymore ::: :lol: Btw I'm going to CR for a week end of Feb til March 2nd. Not sure if I'll have free time though. Things to do.

See? I made you jump :heh: When you come here call me, so I can rant at you live :D

Ozzy played a small part in a few great songs, but his voice is nassel as hell, his melodies predictable and his range and dynamics non existant. There are two vocalists whos voices always grated on me and Ozzy was one of them and Neil Young the other.
small part? Um no...

few great songs? More like alot of great songs...

Nasal as hell? I don't hear it.. enlighten me..

Melodies predictable? How do you predict something before it comes out? ... even if they were predictable.. who cares it's great songs/albums (not all but most)... AC/DC, Motorhead and other bands are "predictable" but we love them for it regardless...

Range and dynamics non existent? Again who cares... he's not a wailer nor does he have to be... it wouldn't fit his songs anyways... his voice is distinctive and you know when it's Ozzy while others copycat each other and sound alike... Other vocalists do not have range and dynamics but they are great imo and fit their songs etc... Like Lemmy...

Neil Youngs' voice annoying? Only thing I agree with you on...