Pessimism

Demiurge

This user has no title
Aug 12, 2003
lunar stonehenge
Visit site
The world around me is constructed in a manner that makes simple tasks seem near impossible, particularly when these tasks involve communication with others. It seems to me because of the dominance of bureaucracies, which stand as towering monuments of frustration and inaccessibility. Firstly, they're constructed of many separate entities. The more parts to the mechanism, the greater the likelihood of one going awry. The less the probability of the parts being connected. To make matters worse, technology is used to separate us from these organizations, which it's supposed to aid communication with. You can't get ahold of the person with the information you want. Even their identity eludes you. What I find is that nothing can be assumed to be intuitive. I need to suppose that I am dealing with a computer program, so as to make certain I micromanage. The structures I'm dealing with cannot be expected to be composed of constituents that transmit data effciently, so I need to control all aspects individually, if in any way possible. All my efforts are tied up in minutiae, lest everything go to pot. This is business, education, government. None can be engaged. Ultimately, we feel frustrated and alienated. Over time, being subjected to these conditions changes us. We lose creativity in becoming mired in a landslide of details and fragments.

i would agree with this assessment of modern social structure, but add: that when these conditions become severe, those of creative nature derive interesting methods of escape from the prison so that art in its free form may not be crushed

Demiurge said:
The world around me is constructed in a manner that makes simple tasks seem near impossible, particularly when these tasks involve communication with others. It seems to me because of the dominance of bureaucracies, which stand as towering monuments of frustration and inaccessibility. Firstly, they're constructed of many separate entities. The more parts to the mechanism, the greater the likelihood of one going awry. The less the probability of the parts being connected. To make matters worse, technology is used to separate us from these organizations, which it's supposed to aid communication with. You can't get ahold of the person with the information you want. Even their identity eludes you. What I find is that nothing can be assumed to be intuitive. I need to suppose that I am dealing with a computer program, so as to make certain I micromanage. The structures I'm dealing with cannot be expected to be composed of constituents that transmit data effciently, so I need to control all aspects individually, if in any way possible. All my efforts are tied up in minutiae, lest everything go to pot. This is business, education, government. None can be engaged. Ultimately, we feel frustrated and alienated. Over time, being subjected to these conditions changes us. We lose creativity in becoming mired in a landslide of details and fragments.

I totally agree. I wonder, what is your background Demiurge? If I may flatter you, your posts and threads are always well thought out, interesting, and original.

NeverIsForever said:
Sometimes it seems as if "pessimism" and "realism" are practically synonymous. In my experience, things rarely go right if there's a way for them to go wrong :Spin:

Murphy's law?

Reminds me of Kafka's The Castle . Maybe that's what inspired this thread?

Silent Song said:
i would agree with this assessment of modern social structure, but add: that when these conditions become severe, those of creative nature derive interesting methods of escape from the prison so that art in its free form may not be crushed

Yes, mainly: suicide.

I'm not advocating suicide. My point is that your point is batshit; if your world is controlled by lunatics, "finding freedom in art" is a huge hunk of shit.

Silent Song said:
my point is they can never truly CONTROL you.

My point is that you don't exist independent of your world. I think your point boils down to "keep mental discipline" but realize that even that has limits, unless one is a solipsist.

To Demiurge: most people are fucking stupid. They've made a giant fucking stupid thing, and like all shitty designs, it's now falling apart. The time for smart people is again coming... and if we're lucky, it will involve absolute shitloads of morons to be slaughtered. We're talking mass graves and funeral pyres the size of Kansas. Never give in, but don't lapse into solipsism either... wise words worked out by Silent Dong and myself.

Silent Song said:
infoterror, the time for smart people is always...

they are just too lazy to do anything about the problems.

No, existentiality is determined by facticity. Regardless of how smart and capable I am, I will not be able to overthrow the socio-economic structures. Creating a work of art isn't going to crush the status quo. There needs to be a convergence of the wills of the capable and a weakening system. All the better if you can weaken it somehow as you go through life, surviving.

As for my brief life story, I started out as a business major. I found the classes uninteresting, though, so I switched to philosophy. I enjoyed it. The faculty was courteous and helpful. The classes, after the introductory stuff, were mostly empty, which was good. In "advanced logic" there were 40-some seats left. ;) Eventually, I realized that to get a degree, I would need to take a year of a foreign language. Knowing only english and a touch of Italian, I didn't bother. Now, I work with my father and others.

i agree, and by lazy i meant that such people are not converging when it could improve conditions.

i was a compositional music major wannabe, but feared the lack of employment in that field. moreso i feared the lack of decent education on the subject, so i became an electrical engineering major. like you, i found that the classes quickly went from 300 to 10, but now i am making an audio-electrical path for myself so as to never relinquish my interest in a musical career.