Peter Lindgren leaves Opeth (if anyone cares)

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
From Lindgren:

"It is with sadness I announce that OPETH and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.

"The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a worldwide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way. The massive amount of touring has taken its toll.

"OPETH has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier. I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100%, and from both sides this will not be good enough for what OPETH stands for. I will always love playing, listening to, and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

"These years has easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together.

"I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.

'I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!!"

Fredrik Åkesson (ex-ARCH ENEMY, KRUX, TALISMAN) has been confirmed as the new guitarist in OPETH.

As I indicated on another board, I'm not surprised one bit by this - in fact, the only thing I'm surprised by is that it took this long to happen. When I first fell in love with the band, there was no way I could ever envision their popularity exploding the way it did based on the complexity of their sound and the effort it took to absorb what they were playing at the time. There were no clear cut trends, label demands, expectations of any kind in those days, just 4 humble guys with humble backgrounds jamming & creating something truly unique, pressure-free & special. It was never meant to be commercialized (even in an "underground" sense) and once that started happening, the short term rewards were great, but the end result was inevitable.

Jason

a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a worldwide industry

lol...we later discover that Peter has moved on to KISS

I don't know that Fredrik guy, but considering he played in Arch Enemy, this is a hella bad choice. It's Opeth, they could have taken any one they wanted... and I think they demand more than a standard Melodic DM guy... oh well, at least it's not Satriani.

I like how everyone is ranting about how he was in Arch Enemy, but really all he did was session for tours for the last 2 years or so...

Motherfucker plays guitar and does the solo's in Krux. Motherfucking K-R-U-X. Nobody wants to focus on that though.

then maybe mike will decide to leave next. that would be awesome.

hahaha

about the bassist - are you guys talking about DeFarfalla or some shit? Mike was actually their first bassist -after he replaced some other loser who's name I can't remember. Anyway, Orchid and Morningrise do indeed rule.

yeah, that dude.

man, some of the things said on the opeth forum are just downright sad. it pains me to read them

OMG!!!! I'm STUNNED!!!!!!!!!!!! so sad
fuckin sad!!!!
opeth isnt going to be the same anymore... after 16 years!! that's the worst day of my life.
U gave me lots of inspiration Peter. I will miss u a lot! I hope we will hear from u............
oh god..... i think i'm gonna get wasted tonight to get outta sadness
good luck Peter!!! WE LOVE YOU!!

FUCK FUCK FUCK ....FUCK...!!!...NO NO NO NO....!!!!...hell NO..>!!!...get ure ass back in teh band Peter...!!!!...no way brotha......i aint takin this...!!!!.....U ARE OPETH..!!!!....as much as everyone else in teh band.....fuck man......wlel....i knwo its irreversible...!!!!.....its jsut gonna take me some time to really come to terms with this......honestly.......i jsut dont knwo what ot say man.....u are a killer guitarist...oen of my main fv musicians....adn u always brought this cool vibe to opeth......man we will so freakin miss you.......i was relaly so hopin this was april...adn a joke....butu o well......man.....serisouly...im so sad right now......this is not a good day in metla at all.......I will miss u big time my friend.....!!!!.....surely will

as for teh new guy,...!!!...well welcome abroad my friend.....congrats on teh job.....and hope u enjoy it...adn makme killer music liek ure predeccesor...!!!....well keep rockin guys...

and Mikey.....WHY....u shoudl kidnapped him......and told him...if he wants to be relased he has to sign a contract for another 2o years to be with opeth...!!!...o well....its a mad man talkin at this point....im really jsut .....im gonna take some time to digest this.......

i have to say that Mikael may be the backbone of Opeth, but Peter puts out the image, i think just cuz he's the sexiest member of the band

I don't give a damn about "change being good" or "new members bringing new elements to Opeth". Opeth is more than music, it's an established, respected, solidified and unique idea and being. I will always love Opeth, however I'm afraid the pedestal on which it stands will one day collapse.

I love the addition of Per, he has added a new facet to the music. However, taking away from what we Opethians have always known and loved about the band, I believe is an assassination of Opeth's signature character.

is that forum a magnet for retards?

i shall now be called the RC official Gravelandian.