Peter Steele Died

noctambulant

Mar 7, 2009
TYPE O NEGATIVE keyboardist Josh Silver has confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET that the band's frontman, Peter Steele, passed away yesterday (Wednesday, April 14) at the age of 48. No official cause of death has yet been released, but it is believed that Steele died of heart failure.

According to unconfirmed reports, Steele had been ill for days leading up to his death.

Mistress Juliya (a.k.a. Juliya Chernetsky) of Fuse TV broke the news on her Twitter page last night, stating that she spoke to TYPE O NEGATIVE guitarist Kenny Hickey just before midnight New York time, and that Kenny confirmed that the rumors were true.

Back in 2005, many people were shocked when they logged on to the TYPE O NEGATIVE web site and saw a gravestone with the words "[P]eter Steele - 1962 - 2005 .... Free At Last" carved on it. According to Epinions.com, there were rumors at the time that Steele was sick (with anything from cancer to AIDS), was on his deathbed, attempted suicide ... and the list goes on. Needless to say, it turned out that Steele was very much alive and the gravestone was merely a joke, albeit one the wasn't viewed as being in particularly good taste.

Steele was born Petrus T. Ratajczyk on January 4, 1962 in Brooklyn, New York. He stood 6' 7" (201 cm) tall, and had a low, bass-heavy voice, which was one of the most recognizable features in TYPE O NEGATIVE's music.

Before forming TYPE O NEGATIVE, Steele played for the metal group FALLOUT and the thrash band CARNIVORE . How fucking sad, yet another young musician dying:mad:

As a huge fan of Type O during my high school/college days, this news is definitely disappointing. With all the reports of his drug use and how poorly he looked during the Dead Again tour I can't say I'm that surprised however. Peter was definitely talented and Type O gained a lot more exposure than a lot of people ever expected. I'm glad I was able to see him perform 3 times before his health started to deteriorate.

RIP Peter

As a huge fan of Type O during my high school/college days, this news is definitely disappointing. With all the reports of his drug use and how poorly he looked during the Dead Again tour I can't say I'm that surprised however. Peter was definitely talented and Type O gained a lot more exposure than a lot of people ever expected. I'm glad I was able to see him perform 3 times before his health started to deteriorate.

RIP Peter

You are lucky, Type O was still on my list of must see bands (along with Katatonia). :cry::cry:

I loved Type O Negative, sad that I will never see them live and there will be no more new albums. Apparently he had been clean for a couple of months and was working on a new album. Guess he really is "Dead Again" this time.

Man, this news has just shattered my day. :erk: I saw Type O Negative back when Lacuna Coil opened for them and thought (apart from some technical issues) they were rather good. I am only a little relieved after reading on a few sites earlier today that some close friends of his said that he had become somewhat religious in recent months and that he was trying to clean himself up. But I fear that the damage had already been done. I truly hope that he is in a better place now. RIP Peter, you will be missed.
Jack

Mikael Åkerfeldt just posted this on his myspace blog about Peter Steele -

"Well, I have to say I am shocked by these horrible news....
Basically I just want to express my condoleances on behalf of Opeth. Peter and company took us out for a little spin in Germany a few years ago and we became mates with em I guess. Peter was always very kind to us, from the get-go he went up to Mendez and offered him his bass guitar if he wanted to borrow it. I mean, things like that simply don't happen in the rock business anymore, but I think he had a different view on things.

Last time I saw him was a few years ago when he and Johnny and Kenny came to see us playing the Irving plaza in NYC. There was a knock on the door, I opened, and there was Peter towering over me. I said "Hey Pete come in...." and he said "You again, I thought you was fired!". Went straight passed me, grabbed a bottle of red from our rider and started guzzling away in the corner, leaving funny remarks at whatever conversations that was going on in the dressing room.

The dude was funny, intense, intimidating and overall, a good guy. That was my impression, can't say I knew him too well, but we did develop some type of "heya" friendship with Johnny and Kenny. I also did a song with Josh a few years ago even though I've never talked to him in person. Anyways, I just wanted to write something....I am in a bit of a shock I guess...

Thoughts goes out to Johnny, Kenny and Josh as well as to Peters families and friends.
His and their music lives on, or as they say, echoes in eternity.

Peter Steele R.I.P"

Awesome thoughts from Mikael.

This is terrible news indeed, but like someone else said, the dude lived on the edge.

Just let me die, with dignity

Life is killing me

He had struggled with life in general for so many years, maybe he just finally gave up. The fact that he made it till 48 is not really that bad considering his lifestyle. No shock here. RIP.

i just came home from work and a friend told me about it. in school we were both huge fans of type 0 and listened to the albums excessively. we saw them live together 3 years ago on the dead again tour and planned to see them on the next tour. guess it should not be...
i will now have a drink and raise my glas to pete while listening to october rust a few times :/

Mikael Åkerfeldt just posted this on his myspace blog about Peter Steele -

"Well, I have to say I am shocked by these horrible news....
Basically I just want to express my condoleances on behalf of Opeth. Peter and company took us out for a little spin in Germany a few years ago and we became mates with em I guess. Peter was always very kind to us, from the get-go he went up to Mendez and offered him his bass guitar if he wanted to borrow it. I mean, things like that simply don't happen in the rock business anymore, but I think he had a different view on things.

Last time I saw him was a few years ago when he and Johnny and Kenny came to see us playing the Irving plaza in NYC. There was a knock on the door, I opened, and there was Peter towering over me. I said "Hey Pete come in...." and he said "You again, I thought you was fired!". Went straight passed me, grabbed a bottle of red from our rider and started guzzling away in the corner, leaving funny remarks at whatever conversations that was going on in the dressing room.

The dude was funny, intense, intimidating and overall, a good guy. That was my impression, can't say I knew him too well, but we did develop some type of "heya" friendship with Johnny and Kenny. I also did a song with Josh a few years ago even though I've never talked to him in person. Anyways, I just wanted to write something....I am in a bit of a shock I guess...

Thoughts goes out to Johnny, Kenny and Josh as well as to Peters families and friends.
His and their music lives on, or as they say, echoes in eternity.

Peter Steele R.I.P"

Awesome thoughts from Mikael.

Nice words indeed.

May he rest in peace.

I'm very sorry to hear that Peter has died. It's one of those shock things. Many questions spring up - just how bad was his lifestyle to kill him at 48? Was it a fluke thing, or did he destroy himself over the years?

Either way, while his last couple of albums were simply terrible, 'October Rust' and 'Bloody Kisses' are masterpieces. Some of the greatest dark metal was created on those releases. Can't believe he is gone.

The rest of the band said they're uncertain of the future, but they should at least Lay the Type O moniker to rest along with the big guy. I can't imagine the band without Pete.

I'm very sorry to hear that Peter has died. It's one of those shock things. Many questions spring up - just how bad was his lifestyle to kill him at 48? Was it a fluke thing, or did he destroy himself over the years?

Pretty much destroying himself. Drugs are naw good. I guess he didn't pray to the same god that Lemmy, Ozzy and Keith Richards do.