Petition for Maidens to play Tears of the Dragon

Acujer

Apr 14, 2008
Who is with me on this?

I assume most people that see the girls are hard core Maiden fans and want to see some songs Maiden won't play. It's not like they are supporting an album or have record company constraints. They really can play anything they want.

I really doubt Iron Maiden will ever play Tears of the Dragon, but if the girls can get this in on their setlist, wouldn't we all be happy? I have been bugging Aja about this song for a while. Beast, Hills, and Trooper could easily be dropped and replaced with an epic Tears of the Dragon.

Who is with me on this petition? Someone draw it up and lets all sign it.

Thanks for your optimism.

So what if its not a Maiden song. What would happen? Assuming most of their fans know this song, it would go well. If the fans don't know Tears of the Dragon, then most likely they won't know many other songs the girls play.

I did a thread like this a while back, about what other songs we'd like to hear the Maidens play (that the Maiden boys have been involved with) and it died a death. I would love to hear them doing the song, they would make a fantastic job of it but at the end of the day they're a Maiden tribute band so will only play Maiden songs. Bruce's solo stuff is vastly underrated and only really hardcore fans wpuld to know it so I doubt that the majority of the audience would know the song. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything but just trying to look at things logically. :)

We are only talking about one song they can play. In reality, they play for small audiences at bars half the time. Its not like a huge ordeal to add one Dickinson solo song.

They can play it, and Aja didn't reject the idea when I asked her. Only hard core Maiden fans know Different World too. They open every show with it. I mean I am assuming if you only know popular Maiden songs you didn't go out and buy Matter of Life and Death.

Lets get this petition going

The Begging thread....

We have begged and bugged them to rotate in certain songs. Jenna and I have harped about Judas my Guide and Flash of the Blade.

The ladies hold themselves to a very high standard and as an example Sara has nixed FOTB because the multiple overdubbed guitar parts cannot be adequately done with 2 guitarists.

Heavy keyboard use will nix something as well.

Jim

We are only talking about one song they can play. In reality, they play for small audiences at bars half the time. Its not like a huge ordeal to add one Dickinson solo song.

They can play it, and Aja didn't reject the idea when I asked her. Only hard core Maiden fans know Different World too. They open every show with it. I mean I am assuming if you only know popular Maiden songs you didn't go out and buy Matter of Life and Death.

Lets get this petition going

I wouldn't have said only hardcore Maiden fans know Different World, it was a single after all and got to no.3 in the charts. Ony hardcore fans would know something like Alexander The Great or Sun & Steel cos they're lesser known album tracks. ;)

If the Maidens chose to do it then I would be all for it. I absolutely love the song! :headbang:

You know in the US Different World was not a hit. In the UK its different. I have only heard 2 Maiden songs on the radio my whole life in California. Trooper and Hills.

Look peeps, Tears of the Dragon is a simple folk song. Asking them to play complicated Maiden songs that they all have to throughly learn is different. I say we petition it until they give us a no. Until we get the official, "No we don't want to play Tears of the Dragon", then its all fair game!

You silly! We aren't allowed to play songs that are not purely just Maiden or we couldn't rightfully be titled "The World's Only Female Tribute to Iron Maiden". If we made one exception to the rule then where would we have to draw the line? Nice idea, but we can't do that with this project. My apologies. :erk:

I did a thread like this a while back, about what other songs we'd like to hear the Maidens play (that the Maiden boys have been involved with) and it died a death. I would love to hear them doing the song, they would make a fantastic job of it but at the end of the day they're a Maiden tribute band so will only play Maiden songs. Bruce's solo stuff is vastly underrated and only really hardcore fans wpuld to know it so I doubt that the majority of the audience would know the song. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything but just trying to look at things logically. :)
Well said.

On the side topic, I am pretty confident Maiden would never play any Bruce solo material because Steve has always reserved the right to be the final approval of the setlist, and, frankly, he has no interest in playing songs that he wasn't involved with in some way (not necessarily ones he wrote, but ones he recorded).

I've always dreamed of Maiden holding a contest where the band plays one special show where the winner chooses the setlist and location.

For me, I'd have the band do all the things they never do, such as play northern Maine in a potato field. Then, the setlist would be songs they never play live.

Here's what I'd like:

Main Set:
Ides of March
Purgatory
Flash of the Blade
Hooks in You
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Invaders
The Fugitive
The Edge of Darkness
Back in the Village
Only the Good Die Young
Gangland
Alexander the Great
Sun and Steel
Futureal
Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Encore:
Tears of the Dragon
Call Me (Blondie cover - I think Bruce could nail this and make it quite fun)
Drifter

No Trooper, FOTD, 2 Minutes to Midnight, NOTB, Run to the Hills, Hallowed Be Thy Name. That would be awesome. :headbang: Don't get me wrong - these are great songs, and they will forever be classics, but it would be nice to see a live show of the band with three of these songs substituted out for something else just to keep things fresh.

Well folks:
We got the official "NO" from Linda. It looks like Tears of the Dragon will never be performed.

Its all good guys. This has been way fun discussing this stuff. I love you guys!

Linda, I totally respect your decision, but I am curious why you couldn't just bust it out every so often. Would there be complaints?

"Hey that's a Maiden cover band!, man! Whats going on here?"

I don't think playing Tears means you wouldn't know where to draw the line. Most of Bruce's solo stuff is different from Maiden. Tears of the Dragon is just one of those songs that seems like a Tribute band can play and get away with. Kind of a sing along.

Again, I totally honor what you said, but I just don't see if you play a bar in front of 100 Maiden fans, why you couldn't just bust it out for a few shows.

Peace!

Acujer, to answer your question at the end of your last post, I am pretty sure that the reasoning is that when fans pay money to see the ladies play, it's because they are expecting an Iron Maiden gig. Bruce solo material, no matter how brillian it is, is not something you'd hear at an Iron Maiden gig.

But, who knows? Maybe Steve might decided later on down the road that Bruce's material fits in a live show. I've already seen some promise of that - the band not only included Journeyman in their Dance of Death release, but they played it live, too. That song doesn't sound remotely like any Maiden track since Prodigal Son (which itself is very non-Maiden), and it sounds better suited as a Bruce solo track. But, Steve decided it was worthy of inclusion in the DOD album.

Well folks:
We got the official "NO" from Linda. It looks like Tears of the Dragon will never be performed.

Its all good guys. This has been way fun discussing this stuff. I love you guys!

Linda, I totally respect your decision, but I am curious why you couldn't just bust it out every so often. Would there be complaints?

"Hey that's a Maiden cover band!, man! Whats going on here?"

I don't think playing Tears means you wouldn't know where to draw the line. Most of Bruce's solo stuff is different from Maiden. Tears of the Dragon is just one of those songs that seems like a Tribute band can play and get away with. Kind of a sing along.

Again, I totally honor what you said, but I just don't see if you play a bar in front of 100 Maiden fans, why you couldn't just bust it out for a few shows.

Peace!

All due respect Acujer...but I thought you were going to leave them alone about it, after you got the official no. Having had to deal with people asking for what can't happen before, I think it's likely Aja didn't want to be rude and flat out say no to you...and sadly that just encouraged you to keep pestering her about it...which really isn't polite. Then after Linda says the official "no" you not only come back with a crude "you're hot" comment, which is really innapropriate, if you're talking directly to a woman and you're above the age of 12....and then you still pester her about why it can't be played.

I understand your love for the song...I love the song too....but they don't want to play it....and most fans at their shows don't want to hear it. They are there to entertain the entire crowd who came to see Maiden tunes....not the very few there like yourself, who want a specific song. They do their best to please everyone, knowing that is impossible....but they please the VAST majority. I doubt they'll sacrifice that for the vast minority, such as in this case.

Anyway...just saying, tha if you takea step back and look at how you're acting about this...you might then have a second thought about it all.

Ok its all good!

I'm not trying to start trouble. Just playin.

No problema!

I think sometimes words can seem harsher than their intentions

Thanks!

I totally get it. Thanks for the clarification, but I understand.

I'm just stirring the pot. Sorry for the wind-up.

Everything you guys play is great. You can just go on stage and bang pots and pans for all I care and I will pay top dollar for it.

I'm sorry if I was rude. As Maiden fans here, I'm sure we are all on the same page.

Thanks!

Its really just an unshakable jones to hear you sing Tears, Aja, more than a passion for his solo work.

Oh well, its fun to dream.