PHILLY ""THE TROP"

DA JAMES

New Metal Member
Jun 27, 2008
Tamaqua,Pa,USA
HELLO EVERYONE,
DA JAMES und der FRAG MOMMA HERE,
WE be a matched set.

Attnd. NIGHTWISH show last night, OPENING show of this leg of the tour.
The 1st time WE had the HONOR to see them perform live, AHHHHHHHHH:OMG:

FIRST in line fer the MEET/GREET, the {{best}} OVERALL show I have had attnd. FIRST show GENSIS Dec. 1974, THE LAMB LIE'S DOWN on Broadway, on BROADWAY. BTW also a first show of leg of tour. Been to just a few other show's in the 34 yrs. between, just a few. LOST COUNT.
They are past memories, last night I had the chance to make some NEW ones,
and to fulfill a dream, to have the chance to MEET, TALK TO, SHAKE the hand's of the minstreals who are about to JAM OUT fer us all.

SOMETIMES A DREAM DOES BECOME A DREAM

BTW 52 myself und MOMMY be 48 soon
S/A WAS OK, but WE came to see NIGHTWISH, would not be fair to make a comment there.

MOMMY wanted to be RIGHT THERE and WE WERE, front line.
WORD'S just don't say it right, OUTSTANDING, AWESOME. and OMG:OMG:
strart things off fer ME.

It was one of those show's where everything came togather fer me, THE BAND,
THE VENUE, THE MUSIC, THE CROWD, THE "ENERGY". RAW, UNFILTERED,
UNSTOPABLE PURE POWER. Did get ""HOT"" BUT that is what YA' get when YA' unload all that RAW POWER. WOULD NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.
METAL BE METAL, NIGHTWISH show'd me what they are made of to last on that STAGE, HARD music need's HARD special people to play it. AND these FOLK
know the way to SHOW ME what they got. HHHHHMMMMMMMMMM' NOKIA IS A mth. away? YES I LOVE small VENUES, the BEST way to be
RIGHT THERE!

MOMMA:

I WAS SO HAPPY LAST NIGHT, I GOT TO MEET THE MOST AWSOME BAND {{{NIGHTWISH}}} THIS IS THE FIRST BAND I GOT TO MEET IN PERSON. THIS WILL BE A NIGHT I WILL TREASURE FOR THR REST OF MY LIFE, YOU GUYS ARE AWSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALL I GOT TO SAY IS YOUS GUYS ROCK YOU HAVE ALOT OF EMOTION IN YOUR PREFORMENCE, YOU GAVE IT ALL FOR THE SHOW AND THE SHOW MUST GO ON! NO MORE CAN ANY PERSON DO!!!!!!!
I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL AGAIN.
NIGHTWISH ROCKS THE HOUSE :headbang::headbang::headbang:
THANK YOU FOR THAT NIGHT VERY SPECIAL FOR ME, I WANT TO THANK MY HUSBAND AND NIGHTWISH FOR MAKEING THIS NIGHT A NIGHT I WONT FORGET. :Smokin: :worship:rock::OMG:

DA JAMES und DA FRAG MOMMA

DID not have the $$$ till after the SHOW unfortenly, ran into a major glich. DID get a letter out on tues. with needed fund's and a SURPRISE also. MY car took a big DUMP on me, almost did not make the show because of it, but DID!!!!
HOPE all is well out there in CALIF.

I know it's been awhile, and even almost a month since the show at the Troc, but I posted this review on my website, http://www.whiteboardmafia.com, and figured you would like to see it. It's pretty long, but the first draft was muuuuuch longer!:

Music of the Night - Nightwish Live Review

It’s not always often that I can get really excited to go to a concert nowadays. I can’t count the number of bands I’ve seen live. Dozens? Hundreds? More? While I used to think, “I can’t believe that THIS band is playing in my town! They flew across the country/world to play for me!” Meanwhile, nowadays I think, “Wow, these guys are nobodies, how does it cost $35 to see them?!”

I’m sure you’re all wondering what this is leading up to. Bottom line is that there are a few select bands that can make me really, really excited to see them. There’s the expected like Iron Maiden and Metallica, the somewhat less expected like Killswitch Engage and Chimaira. And then there’s completely off the radar, which is kinda where Nightwish falls for me.

I got to see them back in October of 2007 and was reminded of everything I loved about them, even with a new face and a new voice, the music still stood as strongly as ever. Now, it was August 2008, once again they had found their way to the bottom of my CD rack, but I was still excited to see them again, and to be honest, they didn’t let me down at all.

After a relatively mediocre performance from Sonata Arctica, they started with the aggressive and dramatic “Bye Bye Beautiful”, a song that pretty much sums up all they can do and their live style. Tuomas headbangs like a maniac while playing his keyboard (something not seen out of many keyboard players). Red-faced Marco bangs on the bass and adds his unique element to the band with his backup singing. Jukka remains one of the coolest drummers I’ve ever seen, wearing his trademark black bandana, his excited, aggressive drumming drives the whole band forward. Emppu rips on his guitar, not the best guitarist in the world but he gets the job done well. And then there’s Annette Ozlon, still the new girl, who bring a whole new element to Nightwish that they never had before. A proper frontwoman, who can sing, perform, add drama to the slows songs and most of all, add excitement to the heavy songs.

Annette is the rock star Nightwish needs. She rocks out, she pumps her fist in the air, she headbangs, she gets the audience involved, she is more than just a new voice, she is the new, more fun, more entertaining soul of Nightwish. This new era is of excitement in Nightwish was accented by the fun they looked like they were having on stage while playing some of the faster and fiercer new songs like “Whoever Brings The Night” and “7 Days to the Wolves”, and the new height of their entire set has to be the unbelievably epic “Poet and the Pendulum”, which shakes the very foundation of any venue they play it in.

However, the biggest question that new Nightwish naysayers have is if Annette’s different, less operatic, more poppy voice can carry the old songs the way Tarja’s did. I can say with a very emphatic yes, that Nightwish’s old songs sound as great live now as they ever did. They only pulled out a handful of oldies, but they were truly goodies. They played the intense and powerful ‘Dark Chest of Wonders” early in the set, and followed it up with some equally forceful songs in “Slaying the Dreamer” and “Dead to the World”. However, Annette truly proved her merit by taking some of Nightwish’s heaviest, most operatic songs and making them her own. First was “Sacrament of Wilderness” off of Oceanborn, back in those days Tarja sang so operatic that it was nearly impossible to make out most of the lyrics, and Annette’s softer voice takes the harsh, strong song and takes it to a different level, not losing any of the song’s original intensity but making it more accessible and definitely easier to take. The other classic that stood far and above the new material was “Wishmaster”, one of my favorite Nightwish songs of all time, Wishmaster makes for an incredible live experience, none of which is lost at all with a cleaner, lighter voice singing it.

Overall, I had come into the show feeling like it’s just another concert on just another night, but now I can’t wait until Nightwish comes back. They add so many unique elements to their live show that you don’t get out of most bands. Very rarely can you go to a show and feel so many emotions coming from one band. Nightwish’s music can make you feel angry, depressed, afraid, happy, lonely, strong, weak and proud to be a fan of such sophisticated music, and their live show can put you through all those feelings in an hour if you bother to pay attention. While most bands turn it up to eleven and beat your head in for an entire set, Nightwish wants to take you on a musical journey to the top and bottom of emotion with their live show. All I could think was “I can’t believe that THIS band is playing in my town! They flew across the world to play for me!”

Setlist
Bye Bye Beautiful
Whoever Brings The Night
Dark Chest of Wonders
The Siren
Amaranth
Dead to the World
The Islander
Poet and the Pendulum
Sacrament of Wilderness
Slaying the Dreamer
Sahara
Wishmaster
7 Days to the Wolves
Wish I Had an Angel

Thanks for a great review Mike. :)

It's awesome how some rare bands are able to maintain the it, (whatever that means :p ) and stir the emotions of us who have "seen it all" :saint:

Emppu rips on his guitar, not the best guitarist in the world but he gets the job done well.

Nice review Trog,

I sometimes hear somewhat negative comments about Emppu as a guitarist. Granted he is no Satriani, Eric Clapton, Gary Moore or other guitar god but he plays with great feel and is the perfect player for NW.

A great musician in an ensemble band like NW is the one that plays and contributes to the music not trying to showboat. I can't imagine some shred freak trying to play guitar in NW. Not enough "me" time for one.

Gotta admit one thing about Emppu is he is one of the most entertaining players the way he interacts with the crowd. :headbang:

I'd take that any day over some billion note per second shred freak.

Jim