Photos, videos & stuff from 2012 Imaginarum tour in Europe & Summer Festivals

So, as I promised/threatened you, here comes a gig report of sorts for the Helsinki show.

Overall a great concert. A great band, great songs, great musicianship, great visual effects, a great crowd (I guess it rather reminded you Americans a bunch of brain-deads, but hey this is Finland…).

If I still had any lingering doubt whether Anette is cut out to sing NW material live she certainly proved herself worthy. Even semi-ill I understand with her sinus problems, she was simply brilliant.

My mild criticism is that the band seemed at times a bit tired and/or in an overly routine mode. Maybe this also has to do with the set list. I can’t really put my finger on it, but the show doesn’t really flow properly, it has its moments, blasting madly ahead at full speed, but then it nearly grinds to a halt, the momentum is lost until the next high. Feels like a diabetic not fully in control of his blood sugar level.

Finlandia perhaps crystallizes that: as much as I love the composition and respect the band for playing it at all, it’s really out of place as an encore starter. Why not instead, say, the Escapist or Cadence of Her Last Breath, the underrated pearl of DPP – or even Sacrament of Wilderness, IMO one of Anette’s fortes from the old ones. And then continue at full throttle until the end, would be a bliss.

Apropos the set list, I didn’t write it down and I’m sure it can be found somewhere else, but here a shoddy list off the top of my head: Taikatalvi, Storytime, I Wish I Had an Angel, Amaranth, I Want My Tears Back, acoustic: Slow Love Slow, Nemo, the birds, … back to electric: Last of the Wilds, Scaretale, Ghost River, Planet Hell, Dead to the World, Over the Hills, encore: Finlandia, Song of Myself, Last Ride of the Day. Probably full of errors but who cares.

Personal highlights: The start-up with Taikatalvi and Storytime; I understand the winter camouflage net (well, that’s what it looks like to me...) may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but worked for me. Scaretale, fun and goofy humppa time. I Want My Tears Back – Marco: tanssitaan!!! Hundreds of mobiles, cameras, lighters during the Islander. Planet Hell – I’m not a huge fan of the song itself, but with the screen and pyros and the crow screaming ‘Save yourself a penny for the ferryman’ at the top of their lungs, it was absolutely fabulous. Dead to the World was a very nice surprise, one of my absolute favorites of the old ones with Anette. Last Ride of the Day – superbly enhanced by the screen in its rightful place at the end of the set.

What I could have done without: I Wish I Had an Angel (gets old), the bird song (I simply don’t like it much and it’s drawn out), Finlandia (see above).

What I missed: one or two oldies more, including even DPP. Although I’d probably have enjoyed hearing the Poet and the Oh So Scary Blade maybe it was for the better they didn’t do it.

An a-ha moment: Right there and then during Slow Love Slow I suddenly realized what Holopainen may have meant with the curious ‘Only the weak are not lonely’. Perhaps he refers to the ultimate loneliness every human being must experience in great joy, suffering, loss and ultimately death. All those profound events in our life are something that’s ultimately hidden from fellow human beings: you can’t really know what I feel when loosing a friend, I can’t truly know what you feel when falling in love. It can be scary if you think about it, and accepting this existential loneliness takes some courage. If you can’t find such courage in you, you may resort to the company of other people as a kind buffer against being alone with your feelings and emotions, the gains and losses of life. In this sense one can perhaps say being not lonely, or rather not being able to face loneliness, is something that makes you weak.

Some random/fun/touching moments:
- Had I by some freak fit of amnesia been unaware of my whereabouts, the realization of being in the good ole Finland would surely have sunk in when Poison Black left the stage and the vocalist uttered his final words: Now I’ll go and take a crap.
- The guy next to me, maybe a bit younger than me, i.e. in his 30s-40s, was really being into it throughout the show, shouting in Finnish to Tuomas ‘Yesterday was fun, see you tomorrow’ and ‘You’re so beautiful’ in Swedish to Anette. At that moment the dull adult in me had to smile facing the other way.
- Emppu covering his ears and making a horrified face before Marco’s yell around 2:25 during Song of Myself.
- Anette and Marco hugging happily at the end of the show.

Just wanted to post this video from Helsinki of Scaretale. It's decent quality and probably my favorite video I've found so far of the song. It makes me smile when Anette comes back to the stage and the air streams go off. It's just such a cool song and set up and it really seems they're all having a blast particularly with this song! I really hope there will be a DVD of this tour.. It's just too awesome. Aside from that, it seems Marco has finally found his footing also. I think we were catching his jitters. :D
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16hmwzoQ8I&feature=colike"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16hmwzoQ8I&feature=colike[/ame]

This is awesome! Kiitos, Desi!

I agree; I think we're so used to getting the legs of the tour where Marco is more "warmed up", so we've never really heard him at the start of a tour where he's still getting into the groove, so to speak.

(Yes, I know the U.S. was first on the DPP tour, but they did a show in Israel and a couple of secret shows already---we literally got the first two shows this time!)

Well it was my first NW concert…………………… And won’t be my last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW.

That kind of sums it up.
But I’m going to try not to be as brief as usual ;)

For some reason I didn’t get properly excited before Poisonblack entered. Never even having heard any of their songs, they gave a decent enough performance and served well as an appetizer. I even found myself clapping ;)

The Nightwish gig started on time, which surprised me. I expected at least a 15-minute delay, but it goes to show how professional a band they are.

Marco singing “Taikatalvi” sitting in a rocking chair behind the “screen”, made a striking visual impression, especially when he tossed the chair aside when the first notes of “Storytime” began playing.

The screen worked very well with “Taikatalvi”. It worked less well with “Storytime” and even less well that long into the song. They should have removed it way before it was removed. But it did come down “with a bang” !
But basically at that time I was so excited that I quickly forgot about it.

Anette’s voice sounded absolutely fantastic on “Storytime”, she almost sounded like a little girl!
This again, reminded me of how versatile her voice is.

She was wearing a black skirt of a flimsy material, and a white top. “C…. “ said earlier that she has more of a mature look, and I agree. The mature look fits her, but don’t get me wrong; it doesn’t look boring.

I know I had my doubts as to “I wish I had an angel”live, but I have to say it sounded much better than I thought it would sound, and I understand that they want to keep it on the set list.

Anette did a good job of “Amaranth”as well, but my personal favorite is the new version of “Nemo”!
I got chills down my spine during the performance, and never having been a huge fan of the original version, find that this version is much more to my liking.

Now for my least favorite NW songs of all time; “Scaretale” and “SLS”.

The live performance of “Scaretale” was neither better or worse than I had anticipated. Maybe I harbored a hope within me that the live performance would change my negative opinion, but that didn’t happen.
But Anette did a fantastic job on “SLS”, and though I will never love that song, at least I really appreciate the way it sounded live and Anette’s voice sounded amazing.

My third least favorite song on the new album “Ghost river” sounded so good live that I found myself listening to it this morning! The annoying part of Marco’s vocals worked well live and was a nice contrast to Anette’s vocals.
I was very positively surprised!

Another great surprise was “Last of the wilds” which sounded very good live and they had such a great picture on the screen too!

One of my absolute favorite songs on the new album, the “Birdie” song, however, didn’t sound as good live as I had reckoned. Being such a huge fan of this song, I still prefer to listen to it on my ipad instead .
The live version lacked something, and not being able to put my finger on what it lacked, I’m just going to say that it was the only “disappointment”, if you can call it a disappointment.
It wasn’t a bad performance, but maybe a bit of a boring performance.

Of all the old-era songs, I think that Anette pulls off “Over the hills” best. Never having been a fan of the way Tarja performed it, the Anette-version works better for me.
They did well on “Dead to the world”, but I have to say that “Planet hell”, though being a great song, really puts a strain on Anette’s voice. “The siren”, a song I never liked to begin with, is one of the old-era songs that they can put to rest as well. That song was written to suit Tarja’s voice and no matter how Anette sings it, it will never sound as good as with Tarja.

After they played “Over the hills” I was very afraid that I wasn’t going to hear my 2 favorite songs of Imaginaerum;
“Last ride of the day” and “Song of myself”.
But Nightwish didn’t let me down!

The “Aaaaaa” before the chorus of “Last ride of the day” was toned down too, which pleased me a lot.
It sounded bad at the Gibson gig, it was way too loudly sung by Marco.

I had no idea that Anette was nursing a flu. You certainly couldn’t tell, at any point, that she had af lu.
In hindsight, she did go backstages a lot between the songs, but I didn’t think about it too much.
I was waiting for her to change her outfit or something, but then again, I guess she’s way too down to earth for that.
The flu probably played a part in why she didn’t do a lot of talking or dancing.
I’ve read so much about her dancing, that I wanted to witness it onstage and see if it bothered me.

If I have to pick something with the show that I missed, then it was a screen where you could see the various bandmembers up close. I sat quite a long way from the stage, and my eyesight being what it is, saw even less than most.

After such a fantastic performance you’d think that Nightwish deserved a standing ovation.
But no, most of the people sat down clapping (of the people around me).
FOR REAL? Are you fricking kidding me???

The good thing was that the positive response from the crowd brought Anette to tears. So maybe the band didn’t notice the “I’m too lazy to get my ass off this chair!” crowd.

And it was very touching when Anette hugged the other band members.

But next time people, LOOK ALIVE!

PS I'm sorry for the lack of pics and video clips. We sat too far back for a good pic or a good footage.

Thanks, Bianca, for the review.

C, you're right, it was a bit of bummer that nobody apparently thought about it early enough. With hindsight, myself I would have had some time to meet up with people around noon, though not immediately before and after the show. But if you guys are interested in having a meet in future, I'd be happy to join the merryment. I live in Turku, but Helsinki is good for me as well, I visit our eastern upstart capital every now and then anyway. Other places around southern/central parts are possible as well if agreed on early enough.

So awesome that all of our Finnish OSAers were at the Helsinki show! I'm just sorry to hear you guys didn't have the opportunity to hang out or meet up.

I just got an e-mail from Michele about the Helsinki show; sounds like she had an amazing time!!!

I knew all of you guys were going, I didn't think to make a post here ahead of time, though. I didn't want to be presumptuous. Hell, I didn't even open up a meet-up thread for the L.A. shows until the week of the gig! But then again, seeing as how I didn't know until the day before the interview what time it was happening, it wouldn't have been possible to schedule any kind of gathering before the show anyway. And I hadn't ever been to Universal City Walk so I didn't want to schedule something at a place that was far from the venue or difficult for people to find.

Well, hopefully you guys will get another chance soon; no doubt the last show of the Imaginaerum tour will be in Helsinki, anyway. ;)

Thanks, Bianca, for the review.

C, you're right, it was a bit of bummer that nobody apparently thought about it early enough. With hindsight, myself I would have had some time to meet up with people around noon, though not immediately before and after the show. But if you guys are interested in having a meet in future, I'd be happy to join the merryment. I live in Turku, but Helsinki is good for me as well, I visit our eastern upstart capital every now and then anyway. Other places around southern/central parts are possible as well if agreed on early enough.

We should definitely meet up here in Helsinki before the next Ice hall show (I assume it will take place in the Ice hall)! I will go without my niece next time, she didn't really enjoy the show that much. Sorry for spamming a bit people.
I still can't get over how great a show it was!

Check these out, boys and girls. I liked Dead to the World so much in Helsinki, but they seem to have even stepped up a notch for Moscovites.

Excellent quality especially for sound:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9X0wsbIsNs&feature=related[/ame]

Slightly lower quality, but shows better Anette rocking it out and mouthing Marco's parts - great fun
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-wMhJNqL4c&feature=related[/ame]

And Emppu is STILL wearing that same shirt. :lol: What the hell? Did he lose a bet or something? It looks good on him and all, but come on. He's worn that same shirt at every show thus far. Either he just bought one shirt and plans to wear it and wash it until it just falls apart, or he got 5000 copies of the same shirt. :lol: Either way he need a new shirt, and if it's the second one, some therapy might be in order as well. :loco:

Maybe he got them on sale. I don't see why everyone is so upset about the thought of using the same thing night after night. The Agonist does it all the time.

Not only that, but these guys live out of a suitcase. There's only so much to fit into a suitcase. It's not that uncommon for bands to wear the same things on a particular tour; I have pictures with musicians I have met on two separate occasions, yet they are wearing the same outfit (even if mine is different!). Hell, Tuomas was wearing the same shirt in our interview as he was wearing in the Metal Evolution interview. So it's a totally common thing, at least among the guys anyway.