Picked up this really quirky 70's mixing desk!

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Picked this up a few days ago. It's a Yamaha Rm 804. It's an 8 channel mixer from some time in the 70's best I can tell. It has 8 mic pres, a simple 3 band EQ and four groups. It has 6 Vu meters- one for each group output and the stereo out. It has direct outs for each mic pre and a really weird inserts system. I got it to use it's mic pre's, especially on drums where I usually take stuff out on location. I have a much bigger desk in my studio but is FAR too big to take out on location. This should be perfect. Cost me 120€ and I think it's worth it for the wood look alone!

2013-10-01%2021.20.43.jpg

2013-10-04%2022.15.43.jpg

It is XLR in and most of the outputs are phono. I've to get a bunch of cables for this to use it properly for my next recording. I've one coming up in a couple of weeks I will definitely want to use it on.

2013-10-04%2022.16.02.jpg

Here's a closer look at the weird inserts. They're all phono.

2013-10-04%2022.16.30.jpg

Here's the metal bars that complete the connection when the inserts aren't being used. Pretty badass! Smart solution to the problem and it took me a few seconds to figure out what the hell they were!

I've fired it up and done some quick testing on it to see how it works but have yet to hook it up and do some recording as I'll need phono to jack cables to use the direct outs. I've been told that 1 of the mic pres doesn't work which is a shame but I only need 6 for my intended purpose so I am pretty happy.

Where you guys find that cheap vintage desks?
I don't know any place in Latvia where I could run into such precious thingy. All I found was Soviet time studio stereo parametric EQ.

Where you guys find that cheap vintage desks?
I don't know any place in Latvia where I could run into such precious thingy. All I found was Soviet time studio stereo parametric EQ.

Keep your eyes on classified web sites and on venues, shops and studios doing sales when they close. Pawnshops are also good but you've to visit them regularly to get the good deals.

The biggest thing is having money ready to jump on deals when they come. I've missed so many crazy deals by not having the cash ready. 2 weeks ago I missed a pair of Martin Audio PA tops for 125€ in a pawnshop cause I didn't have the cash on me.

I picked up a 32 channel, 8 bus Hill audio desk for 125€ and a 16 channel Soundcraft K1 with flightcase for 200. I've just missed some other great deals too. Soundtracs Topaz for 200€ and a flightcased 32 channel Allen and Heath Sabre for 500€. Those are just the desks I've looked at, if you keep your eyes peeled you can find the deals.

IIRC there are transformers on the mic pres. Should be a nice little thing for tracking with.