Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Mario86

Droogie
Apr 6, 2006
Milwaukee
What pickups does everyone use? Me, I use DiMarzio Air Norton in neck and Seymour Duncan Distortion in bridge; sounds good:headbang: .

DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge of my Les Paul. I've been rather fond of it ... although I have wanted to try out some EMG's ...

EMG all the way

DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge of my Les Paul. I've been rather fond of it ... although I have wanted to try out some EMG's ...

Are those the pickups you've used throughout your career, James? EMGs have always sounded dead to me, but your tone sounds godly (especially the neck pup tone you have). Different rigs are for different pickups, I guess.

Duncans...all the way. I've used Distortions, the old Seymourizer and Invaders...love 'em all. I hate EMG's...no offense...they don't have character and certainly don't accentuate and instruments individual tonal characteristics. You could put them on a broom handle and they would sound the same. Just my opinion...a lot of players swear by them...they just don't suit my style.

Carvin pick ups in my Carvin are nice...they suit the instrument.

I'd really love to try some Rockfields...has anyone tried 'em?

i've never heard anyone say EMG's sounded "dead" before..... weird.
i dunno, maybe 'dead' wasn't the right word. Compared to the Duncan Distortion, the EMG81 wasn't warm enough for my taste. The Caparison Dellinger is mahogany (which definitely has something to do with your tone). My Mesa just doesn't like 'em, I guess :shrug:.

EDIT: yea, on that last bit... I remember when I plugged into my school's Line6, it was like it didn't matter what the amp's EQ was at, the EMGs sounded clear always.

Duncans...all the way. I've used Distortions, the old Seymourizer and Invaders...love 'em all. I hate EMG's...no offense...they don't have character and certainly don't accentuate and instruments individual tonal characteristics. You could put them on a broom handle and they would sound the same.
what a crock of shit. sorry, this type of bollocks about active pickups makes me want to puke.

i have the SAME EMG config in several different guitars with different woods... mahogany, walnut, alder... and they all sound different... there is no "loss of character" from using EMG's... biggest load of shite i ever heard.

so are you saying there's a lack of good tone or character in my recorded works??

sorry... you are wrong... .. i don't care if you prefer passives.. hey, tons of people do because they are spongier and cover up some slop in technique, and they have their place sonically.... but don't try to defame EMG's or active pickups in general on some failing of your own to either be able to hear properly or to not be able to deal with the clarity and accuracy of them.

sorry, i don't want to offend you or anything, but you are being pretty offensive with your statments... it's like an assualt on my ability to hear tone and recognize "character".. the fact is that with Actives i hear the character of the wood FAR EASIER than i do with passives, becauses passives are just too spongy.

ridiculous, bass-ackwards, wrong-headed, ear-clogged, dogmatic drivel.

carry on.

what a crock of shit. sorry, this type of bollocks about active pickups makes me want to puke.

i have the SAME EMG config in several different guitars with different woods... mahogany, walnut, alder... and they all sound different... there is no "loss of character" from using EMG's... biggest load of shite i ever heard.

so are you saying there's a lack of good tone or character in my recorded works??

sorry... you are wrong... .. i don't care if you prefer passives.. hey, tons of people do because they are spongier and cover up some slop in technique, and they have their place sonically.... but don't try to defame EMG's or active pickups in general on some failing of your own to either be able to hear properly or to not be able to deal with the clarity and accuracy of them.

sorry, i don't want to offend you or anything, but you are being pretty offensive with your statments... it's like an assualt on my ability to hear tone and recognize "character".. the fact is that with Actives i hear the character of the wood FAR EASIER than i do with passives, becauses passives are just too spongy.

ridiculous, bass-ackwards, wrong-head, ear-clogged, dogmatic drivel.

carry on.

wow.

ridiculous, bass-ackwards, wrong-head, ear-clogged, dogmatic drivel.

carry on.

Uh...it's really just a matter of opinion...to each his own. One is not superior to the other. No two people see color the same...no two people translate tone the same...I don't see anything that remotely resembles a personal attack...just a bunch of flub, hobbiest guitar players voicing their opinions...don't have a coronary. The only thing offensive is your response. So much for any interest on this board.

sorry... you just caught me on a bad day, and i've heard that kind of dogma about actives one too many times... meanwhile myself and quite a few other pros i know personally use them and all have their own sound... as i said, my guitars with different wood and mass all sound quite different, even with the same actives loaded. didn't mean to shoot off so strongly.... just... bad timing.

*passes peace-pipe*
peacepipe.jpg