Piece of shit MIDI-Keyboard... anyone got any advice?

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Yo!

Just got my ESI Keycontrol 25 XL which I thought should be a pretty decent, solid enough keyboard not to fall apart into pieces. Well, it hasn't fallen apart yet, but as soon as I plugged it in I noticed something was wrong. Both of the A# keys didn't register notes in the medium-hard velocity range, they only register the notes if I play soft or pretty hard.

This is a really strange issue, has anyone had any similiar experience with MIDI-keyboards, or keyboards in general? Maybe it's a semi-common issue which is fixable without returning it... (though I doubt it)?

I ordered it from Thomann, and I hope they pay the shipping cost too, otherwise I'm screwed since it'll cost a good 20 Euro to ship it from Sweden to Thomann in Germany, and the cost of that piece of shit keyboard is 49 Euro so that screws me over in any case! *sad panda*

Well anyway, if anyone has tips, advice, similiar experience, please do share. Thank you.

I'm about to order a Studiologic Fatar TMK-88, while it doesn't help you in anyway, I'm just hijacking your thread to not open another one and ask whether there's any feedback.

You have 30 days money back guarantee, but I don't think it will cover shipping return costs. They'll probably send it back for free, but you still have to pay to send it :)

sounds like there is something wrong with the keyboard entirely. you should check with the velocity mapping in your manual =, some keys have the ability to cutoff certain sections (note velocities) where anything beyond that map will not be played. It is possible that they is a low pass velocity filter that is enabled on the keyboard. So again check the maunual to see if its possible and how to reset the map.

sounds like there is something wrong with the keyboard entirely. you should check with the velocity mapping in your manual =, some keys have the ability to cutoff certain sections (note velocities) where anything beyond that map will not be played. It is possible that they is a low pass velocity filter that is enabled on the keyboard. So again check the maunual to see if its possible and how to reset the map.

Yeah I thought of that but wasn't able to solve it. I really hope it's something like that, I need to toy around with it tonight :|

Thanks.

Why not contact ESI or Thomann for assistance? That way they know there is a problem reported, so if you do take the route of sending it back they will have the records and by more willing to help out.

Why not contact ESI or Thomann for assistance? That way they know there is a problem reported, so if you do take the route of sending it back they will have the records and by more willing to help out.

Already done before posting here, of course :)

Took them a couple days to get back to me but I guess we all learned something: Thomann does indeed pay all the shipping costs. They hire UPS to come pick it up from you (or you deliver to their office in your town if there is one), and then it gets to Thomann.

Guess I'll be getting my money back instead of another ESI keyboard, don't really trust ESI now. Perhaps I should just spend some more cash and get an M-Audio Oxygen? I'm still satisfied with a 25 key though, it fits the desk perfectly and fits my needs =)

yep thomann pays all shipping costs, i just had my defective alesis interface replaced, took them a while but i finally got it back functional. i just ordered an oxygen61 myself, hopefully it'll be fine :)