Pinched harmonics

XinpiecesX

New Metal Member
Jul 11, 2007
hey guys, uh... i can already do pinched harmonics decently, it took me a while to learn.

i was just wondering how dimebag, alexi laiho etc are able to get their pinched's screaming so loud, as mine dont. mine dont sustain for very long either. id apprectiate any help you give.

i think it might have something to do with my tone, pickups etc?

thanks guys

Have you checked your amp settings? That has alot to do with it, it helps having high gain, high bass, low mids and high treble. As for sustain, having delay and scooping the channel should help. Also string thru guitars have way better sustain then ones with FR's.

Dunno if you are aware, but Alexi also uses a Gain Booster pack (cant remember the brand)....Unfortunately, more gain makes it harder to avoid general string noise, which detracts from the overall sound you are trying to play.

Have you checked your amp settings? That has alot to do with it, it helps having high gain, high bass, low mids and high treble. As for sustain, having delay and scooping the channel should help. Also string thru guitars have way better sustain then ones with FR's.

Shame that having high gain and scooped mids is horrible. :p

Vibrato will bring out some more sustain and make your pinches sound better. Thats the best way to do it, different guitars will make a little bit of difference but not so much that you need to get a different guitar to make them sustain.
Also make sure you have your bridge pickup selected and have your tone knob on your guitar on full treble. This will bring out the pinches more too.

Dunno if you are aware, but Alexi also uses a Gain Booster pack (cant remember the brand)....Unfortunately, more gain makes it harder to avoid general string noise, which detracts from the overall sound you are trying to play.

Alexi has a gain booster because the pickup he uses (used) is (were) shite; EMG-HZ. He now uses Seymour Duncans.

Shame that having high gain and scooped mids is horrible. :p

:lol: true.

Alexi has a gain booster because the pickup he uses (used) is (were) shite; EMG-HZ. He now uses Seymour Duncans.

He was removed from their frontpage, and he isn't listed as a featured artist, so i'm not so sure about that,

Ahem... Tuska 2007

Children&

If you squint real hard you can tell there's no way they're HZ's :p but then again he might just have been trying the SD out.

i have my mids over 5.Alexi uses emg hz pickups with an afterburner but then again i have seen him using an esp eclipse with chrome cover pickups.i dont really think its essential to have active pickups.i swapped my dimarzios for some cheap wsc pickups and they are some of the most clear and crisp pickups i have heard.

Ahem... Tuska 2007

If you squint real hard you can tell there's no way they're HZ's :p but then again he might just have been trying the SD out.

To me they look like every other EMG pickup though

I mostly agree with what's been said. If you have lots of gain, have your tone knob all the way up and use the bridge pickup you should be about to pull them off no problem. If you have these things going for you and you can't pull them off it's probably something in your technique.

Actually you might want to try boosting the high mids and gain. a treble booster pedal also helps and can sweeten the upper mids and highs as well.