planning to build an Iso Room for home recording

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hello everyone, im pretty new to the sneap forums, and this is my first post in the forum haha

Anyways after gigging around locally for a few years, my metal band is going to be recording our first full length album and it will be totally self financed, Having said that we are trying to do this in the most cost effective way as possible and we have decided to go to a professional studio to record drum tracks and then track the guitars/bass/vocals/keyboards at my house and eventually have a professional mix and master the recordings.

What I am trying to do this november is build a sort of home isolation room in my basement that would be suitable for recording a cranked tube amp in, as well as maybe do vocals in.

I have a VERY large unfinished basement with lots of strange concrete wall shapes, and one spot in perticular im wondering would be worth investing my time into. It is Octogon shaped about 10 feet wide roughly 9' 5''deep with the side walls being 6' 8'' deep and the corners and back wall being 4' 2''

IMG_1776.jpg

im wondering if this would be a good shape to build some sort of iso room in

that would make a fucking wicked space...especially with the non-parallel walls

build a sturdy wall across there, throw up a couple of bass traps and some other absorption, and it should make for a nice iso space

yea im thinking it would work good, but the two side walls are parallell and if i were to build a straight wall across the front the front and the back would be parallel, i could instead of building a straight wall do some weird triangle shaped extension with to walls, so the room would have 7 sides instead of 8

the easiest and most acoustically-friendly way would probably be to build the wall straight across, then put bass traps in the 2 corners. put some absorptive material on the 2 walls that face each other, and you should be cherry.