Iso-Cab versus Good recording room?

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Hi all,

Be advised that I have never had the chance to record in a professional studio.

I'm still working on getting a decent recording tone and I can't quite get that "bathroom" effect to completely vanish. For sure the room we have the amps in is not perfect, but I don't have a shitload of options. I was wondering if Iso-Cabs are worth it? I do not think Andy Sneap works with them, correct?

Moreover, I was looking at pictures from the website of Fascination Street Studio in Sweden (their work is awesome) and realized that their "Main Recording Studio" looks like a big room. Nothing looks "isolated", but maybe it's just because there are things we don't see in these pictures.

That being said, do you guys normally aim for a completely isolated tone from the cabinet? Or is there still something good that can come from the room you are in?

I think you're over-thinking it. Yes a good room is preferred over an iso-cab, iso's tend to have a lot of mid-range build-up. Most studios will use gobos to isolate the cabinet. You can save a lot of cash by just hanging blankets near the mic and cab. It may not look very professional but it will get the job done in the meanwhile.

If you have a really good acoustically treated room then you can benefit from a roomier sound (Depending on where I record I'll track a dedicated room mic). Otherwise I record a very dry source and do processing within the mix if I feel it's necessary. Most modern metal productions have very dry guitars though.

I wouldn't bother getting an iso cab. What I heard from them sounded muddy in the mid range, like J.L. said.

I think if you put a bit of absorption (nothing too fancy) on the walls nearest to the cab and stick the mic very close to the grill you should be fine.

I'm working out of a tiny-ass room at the moment. The only absorption there is is a carpeted floor. I'm close mic'ing and I don't hear any room influence in my tones.