playing bass through a guitar rig?

antiheroinc

Feb 23, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
is it advisable/do-able?
i miss playing so much ive been offered to play bass for a local band until they can find a permanent bass player.
thing is i'm a guitarist and have a full guitar rig set-up and would like to use some of it if possible.

i'm running:
wireless unit -> rack tuner -> isp decimator pro-rack g -> maxon OD808 (channel 1)-> Peavey Triple X head (with fx loop through the 2nd channel in the decimator)-> Marshall 1960a 4x12 Cab

i was thinking maybe if i switched the head to clean and maybe using it that way.

advice?

so to recap, will this damage my head or anything IF i switch to a bass cab?
i've been reading online and some say it can blow the head and speakers, something i don't want.
the big thing is not to damage the Peavey Triple X at all.

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing lately. I know you have to use a bass cab because guitar speakers can't handle the lows and will crap out but will it damage the head?

The head should be fine, actual if im not mistaken people (think ermz did it) sometimes reamp bass through a guitar amp for the grit track.

The cab is no go, like already been said it can really damage it.. or atleast thats what I have been told.

The head should be fine, actual if im not mistaken people (think ermz did it) sometimes reamp bass through a guitar amp for the grit track.

The cab is no go, like already been said it can really damage it.. or atleast thats what I have been told.

I thought that Meshuggah did this on Chaosphere for the grind track as well, like going through a Mesa Boogie or something

You can use the guitar head, but you need to use a bass cab to get decent results.

Well they all say the head will be fine :D

I've asked about this exact thing on the Peavey forums. They were told by Peavey tech support that the head will be fine but you've gotta use a bass cab. The bass player from Nickelback uses a Peavey XXX head actually.

i always run bass through a guitar amp (if looking for distortion or fuzz) but never guitar cab speakers, even when recording cause i dont have alot of money to upgrade my bass set up quite yet, but i think your head will be fine but you should definatly use a bass cab, as you already said the guitar speakers cant handle the lows that a bass puts out, and i think that when a speaker doesnt have the abiility to output certain frequencies in acoustical energy, it turns it into heat, this can be bad news for the guitar cab, unless you are running it at really low levels, which if you are playing live you wont be, so yeah get a lone of a bass cab or something

I play bass in an experimental post-metal band, and my rig is:

Fender Jazz Bass ---> Mesa 3 Channel Dual Rect ---> Ampeg SVT Classic 8x10 cab

Works like a charm, and having 3 channels with varying distortion levels is awesome.