Playing gigs...

Mago

Austrian Blech Machine
Aug 21, 2009
Vienna, Austria
...fucking rocks!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

after about a year of not beeing able to gig because we had no rehearsalroom and couldn't find one we could afford we had a gig again last night.
it was EPIC :D
nearly forgot how awesome it is to party out with a lot of people :lol:
but my neck kills me today :loco:
a pity we only had 30minutes stagetime, time always passes so quick on stage :/
it just was a small club with about 150 people at max, but the doodz were on fire :hotjump:

I just think that they had voltage-issues with the stage, because both me and the other guitarplayer felt like our volumeknobs were jus at about 50%, but they were on full. so we guessed that the amps didn't have enough gain at times and the sound turned to somewhat crunchy...
anyone experienced this allready?

Glad you got back out. Sometimes a little time away can make you appreciate it alot more after youve already played what seems like a million gigs.

Fuck that shit, when it's 100 degrees inside a packed tiny venue and you're tired as shit and you gotta play three songs in a row all with ridiculous downpicking you want nothing to do with 50 minute sets.

I just think that they had voltage-issues with the stage, because both me and the other guitarplayer felt like our volumeknobs were jus at about 50%, but they were on full. so we guessed that the amps didn't have enough gain at times and the sound turned to somewhat crunchy...
anyone experienced this allready?

Are you sure it wasn't just the acoustical difference between the venue and where you usually play?
Maybe your tubes wore out? Speaker issues? I just found out one of my cabs speakers is broke and I have a gig tomorrow :(

I guess if we had to tour (if we ever get the chance to) or play on a regular basis (more than just once every month or two as it was before we had the break) 30 minutes would be enough for me, my hands and my neck.
but we allready had a gig of an hour and it was really cool. would be hard 20 days a month tough
But yeah, after some time off you really appreciate a lot more as amarshism said ...even If I had times were I wasnt so happy to have to play (really shitty pa/monitor, just a set of 20 minutes). but this one was great lol
Guess it's the same for gigs as for chicks...can't live with them, can't live without them^^

But I don't get to see crowdsurfing in a venue that small that often, so that was really EPIC :lol:
I also love it when you raise your fist 2 times and the whole hall goes with you :devil:

Are you sure it wasn't just the acoustical difference between the venue and where you usually play?
Maybe your tubes wore out? Speaker issues? I just found out one of my cabs speakers is broke and I have a gig tomorrow :(

I'll have to check the tubes at the next rehearsal, but I don't think that they're the problem.
Last time we played there everything went well. I also don't think that the cab was the problem, I used the 4x12 they had there, the other guitarplayer used his Spider ValveIII 2x12 Combo.
And we bouth had the same problems. At the Linecheck everything sounded good though.
Was really like at times they amps didnt get enough power...We bouth always checked the volume knobs, and the first time I tough that the battery for the EMGs was empty, but it was fresh and I checked it afterwards, still power. *shrug*
Would be strange if bouth the cab they had there AND his combo was broken, or if bouth our tubes would wear out at exact the same time...
Sorry to hear about your speaker man :/

Playing gigs is fun - the pre and after show activities are not :puke: Everytime carrying 150 kg (330 lbs) of equipment to the venue and back by yourself, and 45 minutes of checking that all things are with you, plus straightening 30 tangled cables after hastily throwing them in the pack because the next band is in a hurry to hit the stage :p

Playing gigs is fun - the pre and after show activities are not :puke: Everytime carrying 150 kg (320 lbs or so) of equipment to the venue and back by yourself, and 45 minutes of checking that all things are with you, plus straightening 30 tangled cables after hastily throwing them in the pack because the next band is in a hurry to hit the stage :p

+1

also in the pre-show shit... having to reorganise everything yourself cause some piece of knob-cheese forgot that they were supposed to bring a bass amp or drumkit...

150 people = small club? seems like you austrian people have different standards.....at least if the club is packed.

150 is a decent size imho, in my area even well known bands like arch enemy the haunted nevermore etc frequently play venues that hold like 200 people max.

anyways, i know that neck feeling after a longer gigging break....oh yes, i know the pains, haha. first time i hit the stage after being locked into writing/recording mode with my main band my neck hurt like hell the day after.

30 minute set is too short though...imho at least. i enjoy 45 minute sets best, and that's what we frequently play. it's enough time to play a nice selection of songs spread all over the back catalogue, yet you can deal with even *HOT* gigs just about fine....

with my other band (female fronted melodic metal, sorta) we used to do full-night gigs, playing in some rock/metal bars known for live music....i'm talking 5-6 sets of 30 minutes each, with 15minute breaks. sorta exhausting, but a LOT of fun. but then again it's much calmer and less technically demanding as the stuff my main band's doing (melodic tech death...or something like that).

Playing gigs is fun - the pre and after show activities are not :puke: Everytime carrying 150 kg (320 lbs or so) of equipment to the venue and back by yourself, and 45 minutes of checking that all things are with you, plus straightening 30 tangled cables after hastily throwing them in the pack because the next band is in a hurry to hit the stage :p

Haha yeah, thats very true...always getting all the stuff down on tiny stages/stairs, setting up the whole stuff in a hurry, getting all the cables right...
We had 15 minutes to get our equipent set, which usually is enough.
hate the crush when the other band is still removing their stuff though.
Also the ~20 minutes before the show are like hell for me, totally nervous + the worst part is waiting for the band before us to finish their last song.
After everything is set and all the stuff works everything is gone though and I totally enjoy every second of it :D

150 people = small club? seems like you austrian people have different standards.....at least if the club is packed.

150 is a decent size imho, in my area even well known bands like arch enemy the haunted nevermore etc frequently play venues that hold like 200 people max.

anyways, i know that neck feeling after a longer gigging break....oh yes, i know the pains, haha. first time i hit the stage after being locked into writing/recording mode with my main band my neck hurt like hell the day after.

30 minute set is too short though...imho at least. i enjoy 45 minute sets best, and that's what we frequently play. it's enough time to play a nice selection of songs spread all over the back catalogue, yet you can deal with even *HOT* gigs just about fine....

with my other band (female fronted melodic metal, sorta) we used to do full-night gigs, playing in some rock/metal bars known for live music....i'm talking 5-6 sets of 30 minutes each, with 15minute breaks. sorta exhausting, but a LOT of fun. but then again it's much calmer and less technically demanding as the stuff my main band's doing (melodic tech death...or something like that).

Well, 200 people are allowed in front of the stage in that venue, and since it was a continual coming and going I hope that we reached about 150 metalheads in total. My guess is that there were ~ 100 people in front of the stage most of the time. Very nice size, since the hall was nicely filled, but it was enough place to mosh and crowdsurf :lol:
Most "underground" venues have about 200 people capacity over here I guess...

Bands like nevermore and arch enemy usually play in places that can hold more people (about 1000-4000).
But most of these bands don't visit more than 2 cities on tour in Austria, that's my guess why the venues are bigger.
In Germany they tour more cities, so maybe that's why the venues are smaller. It's a shame though, I'd love to see bands like Arch Enemy with just 200 people around, rather than 3000^^

Same here, I also think ~45 mins is a nice lenght for a set.
But dude, even with "less damanding calmer stuff" a full night gig would be more than "quite" exhausting for me hahaha

Usually my band plays about 3 gigs a month and i can tell you, 30 minutes is not enough aha!! We headlined a show last week, 12 30am onwards and we played for an hour with about 60 or so people still there haha. It was a fun gig woo! Just a metal club sort of thing not a full fledged gig! :)