[Playtest] Help with the Test text

inozhad

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2004
In the right column on page 2 (BASIC CONCEPTS: Tests), Mr. Raggi includes a chart indicating the percentage chance at success for a Test. I need help understanding this chart.

The chart's 1st column is labeled "Difference Between Aptitude and Difficulty" I read the second column (">=") as meaning "when the difference between Aptitude and Difficulty is greater than or equal to the first column." Is this correct? The 3rd column (">") would then mean "when the difference between Aptitude and Difficulty is greater than the first column."

If I have interpretted this chart correctly, the percentages are listed in reverse order.

For example, a PC has been hired to paint a mural. The PC's skill in painting is 6. The concept of the mural is to depict the goddess of sexual pleasure reaching across the clouds to an Elf. The PC's goal is to create a work of art akin to Michelangelo's David. His task, then, is next to impossible. As GM, I call it a Test with difficulty = 14.

Aptitude (6) - Diffuculty (14) = -8. According to my reading of the chart, the artist has 100% chance to succeed in his endeavor since the difference between his aptitude and the difficulty of the task is greater than -6 (well, using absolute value scaes, -8 is more toward that end of the numebr line than -6). This just is not right.

Please let me know if I am wrong in my reading of the chart.

As an added note, this entire chart seems like a game designer's mechanic to messure the probability that PCs will succeed at Tests. I am not sure players or GMs need to know this information. If the designer is content that the rolling system allows frequent enough success to keep players interested and make a fair and fun universe, keep that data in reserve to defend the system when folks start to complain that they fail/succeed too frequently.

inozhad said:
Mr. Raggi

First off, please, this should be 'Jim'. "Mr Raggi" makes me feel like a teacher. :p

inozhad said:
Aptitude (6) - Diffuculty (14) = -8. According to my reading of the chart, the artist has 100% chance to succeed in his endeavor since the difference between his aptitude and the difficulty of the task is greater than -6 (well, using absolute value scaes, -8 is more toward that end of the numebr line than -6). This just is not right.

It's just poor and unclear wording on my part.

If you read it as Difficulty minus Aptitude (in your example, 14-6=+8) then the table would read correctly. No way for the artist to do it on a normal roll.

If it's being read as Aptitude minus Difficulty (example 6-14= -8) then you're absolutely right. The first column, instead of being -6, -5, ..., 0, ..., +5, +6...

... should start off +6, +5, working its way down to -5, -6 at the bottom. Then the table would read correctly.

inozhad said:
If the designer is content that the rolling system allows frequent enough success to keep players interested and make a fair and fun universe, keep that data in reserve to defend the system when folks start to complain that they fail/succeed too frequently.

This chart may not make the final book, depending on space issues, but would go up on the site if it's not to be printed.

I think it is useful as a quick reference for GMs who want to know what difficulty ratings would be challenging for their players since they'll be largely have control over difficulty ratings in the game. I don't think there's a need to "hide" the mechanic, so to speak.