Please check out my mix and post your thoughts - Thanks

DigitalMetal

Building a Mini SSL
Jan 23, 2009
London UK
Please have a listen to this and let me know what you think,
Thank you

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7388077/BrutalityHD2.0.9_1644.mp3

listening back after the MP3 compression and it somewhat squished the crap outta the sound - i don't usually MP3 things, any tips for successful MP3ing would be very much appreciated.

The guitars and vocals were recorded by each band member using their own respective home setups,
Clean DI's of the guitars were given to me and i used Software to create the tone
(mainly Softube metal amp room - which is a modeled ENGL Powerball)
I played bass and our singer/lead guitarist programmed the drums and sent me a midi file which i put into a custom Slate SSD Kit.
I mixed the files i was given in PTLE8 using my MBOX2.
I had to reluctantly mix using Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones (not an ideal situation) with occasional referencing to my Yamaha NS10M's

I like it! Great stuff. The drums are a lil low, mainly the snare. In the beginning where the guitars are solod they are quite edited, then when the drums and bass kick in you can hear the guitar noises where the edited parts were. I would prolly edit those the same as the intro. Everythig else is sitting great in the mix, vocals are very well done imo.

The detuned guitars kinda ruined it for me! :

What do you mean ? they are tuned to E

The bass is B tuned though

I like it! Great stuff. The drums are a lil low, mainly the snare. In the beginning where the guitars are solod they are quite edited, then when the drums and bass kick in you can hear the guitar noises where the edited parts were. I would prolly edit those the same as the intro. Everythig else is sitting great in the mix, vocals are very well done imo.

Thank very much !
I was wondering why so many people read the post but i had no comments :lol:
Il see what i can do with the drums, i was a little worried of over cooking them and making them irritate the listener.
I agree with the intro guitars being a bit choppy im not really sure what to do with them but il try what you suggest.

Is the guitar tone ok?
Im no super guitar player and find shaping guitar tone a real tough job.

Does everyone hear the MP3 squishing or is it just me?

The snare is very weird sounding, the attack is getting squashed too soon and it sounds like it's ducking out hard. And the drums are way too quiet, no power at all. It really sounds like the whole deal is over compressed, maybe the master bus? Good song.

I'm saying that the guitars are not in tune and it makes it pritty hard to listen to the song ... for me!

Thanks i really appreciate everyones help,

Ok ive attended to a few things and done another Mix,

Try this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7388077/brutalityHD2.1.0_1644.mp3

Ive edited the intro guitars all the same,
Ive replace the snare using Trigger and backed off the compression, then raised the drums and their parallel bus.

Have i gone too far with the drums now and drowned out the guitars too much?

I'm saying that the guitars are not in tune and it makes it pritty hard to listen to the song ... for me!

Ok thanks for your input,
i admit one of the guitarists is a little sloppy but i didnt think it was out of tune,
Oh well, When we record it for real il make sure they tune em up in front of me :)

Ok cool thanks,
Ive just finished what i think is a major improvement overall, ive changed the intro guitars to just one panned over left, the second one kicks in with everything else and i think it sounds much better and gives a real impact,
I am uploading it now but it will take a while as my net connection is slow,

Watch this space............