Please - I need help installing EMG's

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys...
I just installed a ZW-set of EMGs into my LP Custom (so, 2x Volume, 2x Tone-pots, 3-way-switch). I bought one of those new solderless kits and thought - "that's as easy as lego, I can do that myself".

Fuck it ... the bridge-PU works flawlessly, the neck-PU isn't. NO signal, absolutely nothing. I double-checked every connection and I'm pretty sure, everything should be okay. (Middle-position: lower signal from the bridge-PU, as it should be, but also no neck-PU).

Does anyone know, what could cause that behavior of the neck-PU?!?

Nope ... if it were upside-down, only the switch-positions would be reversed, right?!?

Ah you meant the quick-connect on the PU itself, right?!? I read that elsewhere, too. I'm really sure, that I got it right, but I'll double-check it.

On the quick connectors, as long as you can see the arrow on the connector, it's correct. You probably have the toggle hooked up the wrong way, bad toggle, bad wiring... or defective solderless kit. FWIW I have installed 6 solderless kits so far with 0 issues.

+1 for the guy above.

Switch the pickups. If your neck pickup works in the bridge position your wiring is broken, if you neck pickup doesn't work in your bridge position you have a broken neck pickup.

I installed a solderless kit and only had one issue. My 3 way connections came off. After re-soldering no problem. Since it is about the only thing that is easy to mess up in the kit, maybe consider redoing the soldering to your toggle. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
George.

Thanks for all your tipps.

My god, it took me another 30 min or so, to check everything again. I plugged the PU directly into the "base-board-thingie", and it worked. So i thought, that maybe one of the connection-cables is broken and I switched them around, wired everything according to the diagram - with no effect. Then I thought, that the Vol-Pot of the Neck-PU may be broken. I still plugged everything Neck-PU-related out and wired it from the start and suddenly it worked.

I absolutely don't know, what happened - maybe one of the wires is still broken and causes a short-circuit or something. At the moment, it works and I'm going to watch it.

EDIT: Ah yeah ... another fuckup - I hate, when something like this happens:
I installed the EMGs into my '83 LP Custom and after installing the pots I can't get the fucking dome-knobs onto the EMG-pots, because they are thicker! ARGH

Looks like you've had a fucking hell of a time man! I was thinking aout installing some Blackouts in my Ibanez, but damn - I might just have it done professionally and not have to worry about it!

Sucks that you had such a hard time, but glad it;s working now at least!!