Please judge/criticise my first DI's and mix

arvoitus

Dec 12, 2006
The Netherlands
First of all, thank you all for the knowledge that is here available! Everytime im reading on this forum i'm learning something new.

Me and my girlfriend are covering "The Gathering" by Delain (she is doing vocals, but we will be doing that this week).

Guitars are: Grover Jackson RR custom (Standard A tuning) with Blackouts -> Sescom SM-1A -> EMU 0404 USB -> Cubase.
Bass is Steinberg Virtual Bassist (trying out).
Drums are pretty much standard SSD into parallel comp.

Here are the 4 DI's and a backingtrack:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3822426/TG - DI's and Drumandbass.rar

This is my try on it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3822426/TG - Full Mix.wav

This is my first time EVER recording. Please give me your opinion and advice about my playing/timing/di's/mix/guitar sound/etc. Thank you!

Well the guitars are a little overgained IMO and not very tight. But for a first recording, it´s very good. I wish that my first recordings were like this.

Well the guitars are a little overgained IMO and not very tight. But for a first recording, it´s very good. I wish that my first recordings were like this.
Alright, thank you :) Is the playing not tight with the backing track, or are the 4 layers of guitars not tight with each other?

I'm trying to record the vocals this week for it.

I zoomed in on your guitar tracks and they are quite good but the 4 guitar tracks should be a little tighter relative to each other.
The drum and bass track is also good but the guitar tracks are not tight enough relative to the backing track.
Your mix is messy and does not sound tight at all but don't worry because your song will be good when you fix the tightness problem.

The real messyness of your song is due to the backing track not properly matching the guitar track, in my opinion.
Did you record the guitar parts while listening to the backing track because it does not sound as though you did to me ?

I zoomed in on your guitar tracks and they are quite good but the 4 guitar tracks should be a little tighter relative to each other.
The drum and bass track is also good but the guitar tracks are not tight enough relative to the backing track.
Your mix is messy and does not sound tight at all but don't worry because your song will be good when you fix the tightness problem.

The real messyness of your song is due to the backing track not properly matching the guitar track, in my opinion.
Did you record the guitar parts while listening to the backing track because it does not sound as though you did to me ?
I did record them with a backingtrack. But when i record a new guitartrack i mute the previous one, could that be the problem?

I'm going to try to re-record the guitartracks tomorrow.

Alright, thank you :) Is the playing not tight with the backing track, or are the 4 layers of guitars not tight with each other?

I'm trying to record the vocals this week for it.

They are not tight with each other. But when someone has to much gain on the guitars the things seem sloppy. So I dont have the sure if it´s because of too much gain. But I think that may be both things. When you record things, make a zoom in the waveform to see if they are syncronized.

Thank you, i appreciate your comments. I'm going to record the guitar tracks again, and be really really hard on myself to get them ass-tight.

Is it for guitar players important to play with a click? Cause its basicly the same as a drum track?

Thank you, i appreciate your comments. I'm going to record the guitar tracks again, and be really really hard on myself to get them ass-tight.

Is it for guitar players important to play with a click? Cause its basicly the same as a drum track?

Actually, I dont agree with your comment.
I think it is risky to play to a click and then add the bass and drums later.
The bass and drum track will influence your guitar playing but if you play to a click track then the resulting guitar track might not suit the backing track.

Actually, I dont agree with your comment.
I think it is risky to play to a click and then add the bass and drums later.
The bass and drum track will influence your guitar playing but if you play to a click track then the resulting guitar track might not suit the backing track.

I absolutely disagree. That could only happen if you play random shit and if you dont have the things already defined how it should be.

I am gonna speak for myself. I prefer play to a click because when I am playing with a click I can hear myself if I do unwanted noises. It´s much better than drums. I only play with drums, solos and some weird tempo sections that I cant do it with a click. Otherwise I do the things hearing only the click.