Please rate my 5150 tone..

Mat Laperle

RedDuskStudio
Dec 30, 2006
Montreal
www.myspace.com
hi, this is my first post but i've been reading this forum for a while and now i need your ears guys haha.
So, next week i will be recording an album with my band and we made some guitar tests and this is the best we could do!

So i'd like to know what you guys think of my 5150 tone.
I recorded this with a sm57 through a pre-amp and the cab and head used was a 5150..
This sample is only a part of one song.

almost sounds like you need to have the mic a little closer and turn the amp up some drive them power tubes, not gain up but master volume!

I could be wrong but for some reason it seemed a little distant or low volume It's lacking something to my ears .

I guess it could be your mic position too but I'm still working on my ears but let us know how you got mic setup or pics and whats amp volume and stuff??

what cab, speakers mic pre,??

try putting the mic right against the grill. Are the speaker in the cab the stock speakers? I never liked the sound of those, and a while back I put some V30's in mine based on what I learned here, and the cab sounds much better.

sounded kinda distant and buzzy to me...i'd move the mic in a bit closer, and maybe point it slightly off axis

maybe bring the post gain up a notch, and the pre gain down a bit

getting a good tone miking an amp isn't always easy, if you're using that 5150 cab and just a single 57 that's probably making things harder on you IMO...don't be ready to throw your hands up and go with the pod just yet tho, you gotta spend some time on these things sometimes

one thing i like about doing my own recordings ESPECIALLY on guitars, is that i have the ability to spend a week or so (if need be) getting things set up right...i can take a brake from what i'm listening to, and come back to it with a fresher ear

yea put mic up to grill strait at center of cone and then try moving over like 1 inch give or take, and keep mic pointed strait on.

Also like someone mentioned above above more master volume and pull distortion gain down. Less gain is more when you do like 4 tracks if not it gets real mushy and undefined when there is too much gain and a couple tracks layered!!

also i use like 4 guitar tracks

1 panned 100% left

2 panned 100% right

3 panned 80% right and mid scooped a bit and volume backed down not on amp but in mixing

4 same as 3 but panned left 80%

Just my way i know people have different ways but just a thing you can try! Good luck and hope you get your tone killin :headbang:

Trial and error, trial and error. But when it sounds good it's worth it.

+1

i was very frustrated with my guitar tracks for the longest time, after 2 years of being pretty serious into recording...i'm just now getting something i'm fairly satisfied with, and i still have a lot of room for improvement

as my tracking got better, i started to hear more and more little things i didn't like about it all...which made it seem like i was making less progress than i really was