Please rate my mix.

DIOBOLIC5150

I think I broke something
Jul 18, 2004
Hello again everybody.
Here's another song sample for your skillful ears. I was thinking of using this sound as the template for my whole album. It sounds ok to me but, maybe someone has some input as to what it might need to make it better. Thanks in advance. http://www.hxcmp3.com/bands/13325/

well, I like the guitar tone and the entire mix... only a thing, when the drums go faster than hell they sounds very untrue... have you ever tried to mix your snare with a drumkit from hell snare? (it has layered samples and dx/sx samples)... anyway, to me it sounds very good! :D good worK!
Simon LeBon

Simon_Empyrios said:
well, I like the guitar tone and the entire mix... only a thing, when the drums go faster than hell they sounds very untrue... have you ever tried to mix your snare with a drumkit from hell snare? (it has layered samples and dx/sx samples)... anyway, to me it sounds very good! :D good worK!
Simon LeBon

Thanks for the input. I'll keep that in mind on the next try at it.
As for DFH... I spent my last five bucks on a sixer of PBR. Ergo, I'm POOR!
All my recordings, including this one are done on really cheap, shitty, low-budget equipment. But I make the best of it. HAHA!

First of all, that ROCKS. Great guitar tone, and almost perfect mix by my ears. That said, here are a couple of things I picked out that I would do if it were mine:

Just a touch more bass. Not a whole lot, or else it will overpower the mix, but it does sound a bit thin in places.

Whichever cymbal is panned about center sounds pretty harsh, synthetic, and loud in comparison with the other cymbals. Try either pulling it down a tad in the mix, using a different sample, mixing that sample up with other samples to randomize it a bit, or even just rolling off a bit of the high end (maybe -3dB above 5k, but that's just a guess, do whatever sounds good) so it doesn't stick out quite so much.

About that guitar tone, still Pod, or did you use an amp this time? Whatever you used, it's the best tone yet I've heard from you (and the others were pretty damn good as well).

Disconnekt said:
First of all, that ROCKS. Great guitar tone, and almost perfect mix by my ears. That said, here are a couple of things I picked out that I would do if it were mine:

Just a touch more bass. Not a whole lot, or else it will overpower the mix, but it does sound a bit thin in places.

Whichever cymbal is panned about center sounds pretty harsh, synthetic, and loud in comparison with the other cymbals. Try either pulling it down a tad in the mix, using a different sample, mixing that sample up with other samples to randomize it a bit, or even just rolling off a bit of the high end (maybe -3dB above 5k, but that's just a guess, do whatever sounds good) so it doesn't stick out quite so much.

About that guitar tone, still Pod, or did you use an amp this time? Whatever you used, it's the best tone yet I've heard from you (and the others were pretty damn good as well).

I hear that cymbal now that you mention it. I think I'm deaf and can't hear anything above 5k. HAHA! A simple rolloff should take care of that. Thanks. It does need more low end too. It was originally really boomy, so it's possible that I cut a little too much bottom. Thanks again.
I guess thats what happens when you play really frickin loud all the time.
:loco:

The guitar tone is from the POD, I just changed it up and went with an endlessly tweaked Treadplate Dual. I think it sounds pretty good too. When I was mixing the song, I was thinking to myself, "why the hell didn't I use this earlier". It actually doesn't have that trademark cheese grater sound that the XT is famous for.

Haha, yeah, I avoided the Treadplate Dual for a long time because it sounded so weird and muffled without any post-EQ, but once I put some time into it, I managed to get more realistic tones than I'd ever had previously. A tad fizzy, but only in the right places and not too much so, and none of that digital buzz. If you like that amp, though, you'll really like the Diamondplate (Triple Rectifier model), which sounds right out of the box a lot like the Treadplate Dual sounds after you spend several hours tweaking it. I think you'll especially like the Criminal (5150 II model), which sounds great out of the box, and simply amazing if you put some time into it. The Angel P-Ball (Engl Powerball model) and Bomber Uber (Bogner Überschall) are also pretty damn good. All of these can be found in the Metal Shop pack.

Disconnekt said:
All of these can be found in the Metal Shop pack.

Now I just have to explain to my wife why I want to drop 50 bucks on "noise" files. If she could only understand....
Thats the hard part. :p

Sounds great as usual, you might wanna pull the hihat down a bit in the mix tho, it's really obvious that it's a sample on the fast bits. Try giving it some more body too, it's really fizzy.
Other than that it sounds really good. I don't understand how you get that sound out of a freakin POD but hey, some people can work miracles i guess :)

Impy said:
Sounds great as usual, you might wanna pull the hihat down a bit in the mix tho, it's really obvious that it's a sample on the fast bits. Try giving it some more body too, it's really fizzy.
Other than that it sounds really good. I don't understand how you get that sound out of a freakin POD but hey, some people can work miracles i guess :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I need to find a decent hihat sample, I hate the one I have and it's because, like you said, "real fizzy". It almost distorts when I add C4 comp. Anyone got a good hat sample??
As for the guitar tones... you just gotta make diamonds from dogshit. The POD is a somewhat unprofessional unit, but if you know how to use it right, it really sounds good. Ask Disconnekt, he has some great tones from it as well.
Nothing beats the sound of actual air pushing 30's, or something like it. But for a poor hobbyist like me, it gets results. A lot of people can't tell it's NOT a mic'd amp, and that's the intention.

I like Line 6, and you are the living proof that it can make some high quality noise. Congratulations!
I don't have killer hat samples right now, but I suggest trying to record some.
Borrow a good mic and hi-hat and try to sample it opened, closed, with dynamic variations. Mechanical kicks or snares are ok, but when it comes down to hi-hat in high speed, dynamics are very important.
Overall your tune is killer. That guitar tone is of a very good taste, and the songwriting is great. Great playing too. Just look for that hi-hat and it's done.
I would suggest a slight boost on the bass track, but it's just my taste. :) Great work!

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
Hello again everybody.
Here's another song sample for your skillful ears. I was thinking of using this sound as the template for my whole album. It sounds ok to me but, maybe someone has some input as to what it might need to make it better. Thanks in advance. http://www.hxcmp3.com/bands/13325/
What can I say?
:OMG:
One of the best tone I ever heard.
When people tell me "hey listen to this pod xt tone! that's great " well I always said "For me it's just a fake sound, a very horrible muddy sound".
You're the first that has made a great big and natural sound from that red ass called pod :)
As always the song is killer!!! very powerful!!!!
We have to do a virtual internet band! ahahah

Maurizio

December Flower: I mastered it using T-Racks (pile of crap). I didn't have to do a whole lot to it. I try to get the best possible sound going in as I can so I don't have to fuck with it for hours and hours.

The guitar tone is practically unaltered from the sound coming out of the pod. There's just a tad of eq and comp to make it hit harder.

I used to hate this POD thing... But you have to admit that it does sound pretty damn thick (took a year and a half of owning one to really make it do it's job right). It's an easy way to get a more consistant song throughout the recording of several songs. It's not like having a mic'd amp where you could tweak a knob and forget where it was, or bump the mic and kill the axis. It's a set it and forget it kinda thing, which is good because I'm lazy. It is after all my hobby, I don't want to get stressed out and shit blood over it. :hotjump:

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I need to find a decent hihat sample, I hate the one I have and it's because, like you said, "real fizzy". It almost distorts when I add C4 comp. Anyone got a good hat sample??
As for the guitar tones... you just gotta make diamonds from dogshit. The POD is a somewhat unprofessional unit, but if you know how to use it right, it really sounds good. Ask Disconnekt, he has some great tones from it as well.
Nothing beats the sound of actual air pushing 30's, or something like it. But for a poor hobbyist like me, it gets results. A lot of people can't tell it's NOT a mic'd amp, and that's the intention.
Drumkit from hell superior has the best samples of everything i've ever heard. Its worth £300 and a lot more easily. :wave:

yeah probably just the same as everyone else, maybe a different hat/hats samples and the bass up a tad.

but yeah the gat tone is awesome regardless of where it came from!!

most of all though I think the playing is great, very precise.

keep 'em coming.

jamesboyd said:
yeah probably just the same as everyone else, maybe a different hat/hats samples and the bass up a tad.

but yeah the gat tone is awesome regardless of where it came from!!

most of all though I think the playing is great, very precise.

keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the input all of you! I will keep em coming. Anyone interested in doing some vocal tracks or additions to some songs? Let me know.

Sounds great on my little laptop, good for a Pod also, thats the newer Pod right??

Couldn't really judge the bass on these speakers.

I had a listen to the DFH stuff the otherday, can't figure out whats so special there, but if you guys are digging it, great.

Hey anyone here using battery???

well, I'm using often battery with DFH... dfh "lonely" are too poor for metal, but I mix them with other samples, for example from D4, and I think the results are great! ya know, it's like you have the "real, acoustic drum" (DFH) mixed with the triggered ones (D4, ecc)..... I think they're good becase they have a great dynamic range and a lot of things like right/left hand hits etc etc...