Plug in to remove your room from the Mixing equation???

kramer1309

Apr 30, 2008
India
Please tell me that this plug-in won't be amazing:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/arc/

IKMultimedia ARC System
Advanced Room Correction System
The first acoustic correction system in a plug-in

ARC System delivers the most advanced solution to acoustical problems for any DAW-based studio. Combining a professionally calibrated microphone, standalone software that captures sound information and calculates proper room correction, and a multi-platform plug-in: this technology will improve how your studio sounds forever.

ARC features the revolutionary Audyssey MultEQ® technology, which measures acoustical information throughout the listening area in your studio. It then combines this information to provide an accurate representation of the room’s acoustical problems. The equalization solution then corrects for both time and frequency response problems more effectively and efficiently than any other room correction EQ on the market. The result is a clear and reliable representation of your mix. Regardless of the acoustical issues in your studio, what you are recording, mixing or mastering becomes immediately clear and reliable and your studio sound will improve forever.

* The first and only room correction system in a plug-in for DAW-based studios
* Includes a calibrated measurement microphone, measurement software and multi-platform correction plug-in
* Improves clarity, stereo imaging and frequency response, for faster, more reliable mixing
* Revolutionary Audyssey MultEQ® technology corrects frequency and phase response not only for the engineer’s ‘sweet spot’, but also multiple points in the room
* Step by step setup measurement wizard will have you up and running in minutes
* A convenient, unique, mobile correction solution for the traveling engineer
* Sonically 'treat' your room so you can finally trust the sound of your studio

If its true to what it advertises, it could help a load of us.... But i have my doubts....

Street Price: $599 (MF)

I've tested this against the KRK Ergo and found the Ergo to give better results. Then again my JBL LSRs have built in RMC, so I just run that instead of software.

Even if it did work, it could only simulate it for the EXACT specific location of the measuring mic, so if your ears deviated even the smallest amount it would all be fucked. Room treatment is the only real solution unfortunately!

I've never bothered treating my room mind you. I've just factored my room into my mixes and I do a lot of headphone listening and car listening so I get a good idea of how a mix will translate to different environments...

I wouldn't even know where to begin with treating my room. Any good info resources online for room treatment of a typical stupid rectangular bedroom with one window, etc.? Houses really don't make ideal listening environments... but I have some extra foam...

Even if it did work, it could only simulate it for the EXACT specific location of the measuring mic, so if your ears deviated even the smallest amount it would all be fucked. Room treatment is the only real solution unfortunately!

+1...not to mention the fact that for the same $600 that you could spend on the plug, you could get a lot of materials to make your own traps or get a lot of foam, or whatever....I mean, seriously $600 can go a long way in terms of treatment. And to be honest, the actual treatment may be better than using that plug-in...

~006

I've never bothered treating my room mind you. I've just factored my room into my mixes and I do a lot of headphone listening and car listening so I get a good idea of how a mix will translate to different environments...

I wouldn't even know where to begin with treating my room. Any good info resources online for room treatment of a typical stupid rectangular bedroom with one window, etc.? Houses really don't make ideal listening environments... but I have some extra foam...

Check out these threads dude, they're how I got my education, and I'll be fully treating my apartment bedroom this coming school year once I move in:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/377128-basic-acoustic-treatment-help.html (Great overview)
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ou-not-thinking-about-treating-your-room.html (Great overview)
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/352943-some-advice-diy-bass-traps-2.html (Info about 703 vs. 705, esp. on pg. 2)
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/361142-bass-trappin.html (Good info on DIY bass traps)

And I think when it comes to ARC or the JBL system, it's the same general rule I apply to life - when you can get the real thing (room treatment), why settle for something that's faking it?

Reactions: Eric AJ
+1...not to mention the fact that for the same $600 that you could spend on the plug, you could get a lot of materials to make your own traps or get a lot of foam, or whatever....I mean, seriously $600 can go a long way in terms of treatment. And to be honest, the actual treatment may be better than using that plug-in...

~006

Exactly what i thought...

~006

Even if you use that $600 to buy like 3 Real Traps Micro Traps you'd be fair way better off than getting a room correction plug-in. Even the RFZ panels, and just use the 3 of them to treat first reflections to the sides and above you.

As said, the plug can only calibrate the environment for the exact spot the calibration mic is at. Untreated rooms have such large variances in frequency response even when your ears are moved inches that it really becomes pointless. Even if the plug-in itself can adjust for extended ringing at certain modes, it can't fix every issue, everywhere in the room. Plus it's hardly going to stop first reflection points screwing with your clarity, or flutter echo from... well.... being flutter echo.

The only time you should use an EQ on your room is after you've treated it. Even then only make cuts in real problem areas...don't boost nulled frequencies.

It's been said, but if you DIY some bass traps it is really cheap! I built 9 traps using JM 814 (equal to OC703) for less than $175. If you have have a smaller room then 9 traps can go a pretty long way.

I used this method, and it worked out awesome...really easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, the plug can only calibrate the environment for the exact spot the calibration mic is at. Untreated rooms have such large variances in frequency response even when your ears are moved inches that it really becomes pointless. Even if the plug-in itself can adjust for extended ringing at certain modes, it can't fix every issue, everywhere in the room.

Hi , i Know this is an old post and that i probably should buy acoustic treatment, but i just saw a tutorial on youtube where the guy explains that the pluggin ARC2 asks you to move the mic around the room to get around the problem you describe. i have not tried it, but have you tried any room correction tool where you was asked to move the mic around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bg2BDEJmJQ

I've just recently joined the site. Here's a solution:
SPL De-Verb: designed to shorten transients and will enable you to effectively remove any effects tails on your sounds, but as far as totally removing the effect altogether? That would be amazing if it were possible, but I've never heard of such a thing. You could manually edit the sound through your DAW, but I'm sure that would take longer than your willing to perform.

Depends on if you're speaking about recording or mixing, I don't see what De-erb would possibly do to reduce room verb on playback!

Depends on if you're speaking about recording or mixing, I don't see what De-erb would possibly do to reduce room verb on playback!
It automatically gates the reverb trails so they are less apparent in the mix.
On playback, you would simply put your mix on a bus, and send the De-verb to that bus, and you can control the amount from the send. When you have the right amount export it to a file and there you have a de-verbed soundfile.

Yep, but I was talking about the reverb you hear from the room you are in!
Not possible. You would have to record in an ISO booth. There is no way to remove reverb from a recording once it's commited, you can only lessen the imaging the reverb provides, somehow.