pod farm 2.5 platinum - anyone have it?

I have some of the amps and effects from Platinum because the UX1 comes with them, and I bought the Metal Shop pack. I'm not really sure it's worth it for the price, but other people might have a different opinion.

@He's Dead, Jim for aaaaaaaaaall these simulations the price is really really reasonable.

@Chris Lucas i don't want it as much for the high distortion tones as X50 and LePou's plugins are great. But there are so many things in there that you can get great sounds with.

I've got it.
I don't really like the amps. I don't like the Tube screamer and the delays. But there are good comps emulations and a good Booster. There are also some interesting special effects.
The parameters cannot be tweaked a lot (compared to line 6 POD HD 500).
I prefer Revalver for the amps, the drives, the comps, the EQs, etc...
Amplitube 3 is quite good (huge number of effetcs and some good amp emulation. Not everyone).
Guitar Rig is good for special effetcs (delays, pitch shifting, envelope effects....) but I really don't like the amps and the drives/distorsions.
Scuffham S-Gear is also really good : it's got really good amp sims and really good basics effects (delays, reverb, modulation).
So, I wouldn't buy Pod Farm as my main amp sim.
Cheers

@VALAIVE have you bought the newest one? 2.5? why don't you really like it? i findthe tube screamer and the delays OK in the free version.

Yes I have the last version.
I think the tube screamer is "boxy". I also find that the delays are not "clear". But it's my personnal taste.
The VOX AC30 emulation is crappy (again, it's just my personnal taste...)
I really prefer Revalver MKIII.V or Scuffham S-Gear 2.
Difficult to explain.
Cheers.
PS : Did you ask people on guitarampmodeling.com ? There are not a lot of people there who really like Line 6 amp sims... If you want to buy Line 6, I think the POD HD series are better than POD farm 2.5. there are some good effects in ti such as Boost Comp (which doesn't exist in POD FARM2) and it can give really good crunchy tones. The amps seem to be tweakable and I think you can get better tones with them than with the POD Farm amps. I was thinking about writing to the Line 6 staff to ask them why they shouldn't put the POD HD 500 effects and amps in Pod Farm. But I had no time to do it...

I really wouldn't buy it for rock crunchy tones. the amps are not "subtile"... Again, my personnal taste...

I found here (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/385086-pod-farm-low-end-discovery-review.html), the words to describe what I don't like in the POD FARM amps and overdrive effects (most of them) (from theblue) :
"A few years back, a pal parked his POD XT with me and I've now spent several long evenings exploring every patch. And when I say exploring, I mean really pushing, prodding and twisting every nob on pretty much every patch.

The idea of such a device is, to me, golden. I have a few amps, a Blues Jr, a Lexicon Signature 284 low power rack amp, a couple funky low-end 40 and 50 year old jobs. But the idea of being able to dial up a range of tones quickly, store, and recall... man... that just sounds so great.

So it's with real disappointment that I have to report that, for me, and the tones I like, the POD offers pretty close to nothing. Stuff that comes within a long throw, maybe. But nothing really close to what I want -- and, after many hours of experimental probing and knob-twisting -- no promise that I will ever find a way to trick it into what I want.

At the bottom of that is a very pronounced lack of responsiveness to playing approach and technique.

The POD (or at least the XT) is like a static filter that just colors everything the same... if you change your playing dynamics... it just gets louder or softer for the most part. For me, it's nothing like playing one of my amps.

That's my review."

got the free version and I made a test with the JCM-800 simulation (which I dislike):
http://cl.ly/OI6N/pod_farm_test.mp3

First half is raw podfarm and then I apply some surgical EQ to get rid of all the fizz.
It's not the easiest thing to get a good tone with this but I think it worth the money.

Well it sort of sounds like you asked for input when you already made up your mind, but I still would suggest getting the Metal Shop pack, which has the 800. That way you pay $99 for POD Farm 2.5 and then the extra $25 for the Metal Shop, rather than $300. It depends on what you play most of the time, but the difference between $125 and $300 seems mostly filled by amps and effects pedals oriented toward styles of music that aren't metal.

If you combine it with IRs it sounds a lot better too, since the POD cabs are junk. I'm using the JCM 800 sim on a recording right now and it sounds great. Your call though. Just my .02.

Hmm that's what I'll do bro. Have you got any recordings with the metal pack to show me? Thanks for posting...

First one uses the Big Bottom, second one uses the Miss Criminal if memory serves (5150), third one uses the Cali Diamond Plate (Mesa). As I add to most posts, I am a newb, but I still think they sound pretty good. What I recommend for getting rid of the nasty frequencies (aside from HP/LP) is using a parametric EQ to sweep the spectrum and suck out the "whistling" noises around the 3-4k range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bro! They sound great. I especially like the Big Bottom. What impulses did you use there?

As I add to most posts, I am a newb, but I still think they sound pretty good.

Yeah, some of you just can do it.... For how long do you mix?

Got it wrong actually, sorry. Had to go back to the Reaper files. Apparently I never used the Big Bottom, although I could have sworn I did. It is fucking awesome though, especially for djenty material.

NMCC = Cali Diamond Plate w/ Recabinet Angora

Particulate = (a.) Brit J-900 w/ Recabinet Sterling and Green and (b.) Cali Diamond Plate w/ Recabinet Eagle

Orchestral Hammerfist = Angel P-Ball w/ Recabinet Oversize and Green and (b.) Cali Diamond Plate w/ Recabinet Sterling

For an idea of how IRs sound with it though, here's a very, very rough, 1-take, non-mixed or mastered cut of Rocket Skates by the Deftones. Guitars are the J-900 sim with LeCab running:

1. Tone Vampire 2.0 Diamond eyes
2. God's Cab 421 1-inch cone far pres 1
3. God's Cab NT5 right live room pres 3

(and yes, I know I screwed up the first riff haha)

I'm a newbie and a full-time student and part-time employee so I do this on the weekends. I spent maybe 3-4 hours per song recording and mixing, all told.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you. to tell you the truth I was like "the first one sounds like the Diamond Plate" but I haven't heard the Big Bottom so I didn't know if they sounded similar.
the diamond plate was why i wanted to get podfarm in the first place to start with. this thing sounds amazing.

@MatrixClaw I won't get the platinum finally, sorry. i'll get the normal one with the metal shop in 2-3 months.

The Big Bottom is what Misha used in all the Periphery demos, so I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The Line6 site actually has samples of some of the Metal Shop amps on the page where you can buy it, but I'm not sure if it's on there.

Really? I always loved that tone. What impulses did he used? Is there any thread around here about this?