POD PRO RACK MOUNT QUERY

Pablo333

Jan 13, 2009
I've heard a rumour from various sources that the POD PRo rackmount (not the Pro XT model) has a better recoded sound than the XT X3 etc...

Anyone know this, or is it just nonsense???

if someone is selling the pod pro rackmodel with those arguments, I wouldn't believe it myself ;)

No, i meant Ive read on other forums and from other gtr players i know, the sellers on ebay arent saying its better - Sorry should have re written my post

maybe it`s about possibility of using spdif out?

emm didn`t read first post too well :) just heard that spdif records better than lineout

I'm still not buying it, because Pod XT Pro has all the sounds Pod Pro + additional sounds added to it, and the same with X3

actually the sounds are completely different. I think they included one of the old amps as an extra, and maybe redid a couple but the cabinet impulses are completely different so they sound very different.

saying one is better is subjective, both will have their uses. I'd go for XT or X3 though as they feature a lot more amps and fx and generally more flexibility.

actually the sounds are completely different. I think they included one of the old amps as an extra, and maybe redid a couple but the cabinet impulses are completely different so they sound very different.

saying one is better is subjective, both will have their uses. I'd go for XT or X3 though as they feature a lot more amps and fx and generally more flexibility.

I've also heard that some models like recto, soldano SLO100 in X3 are better than Xt. (benvesco.com)

could it be Processor? In X3, we have dual tone that requires more power than just one. So I think Processor in X3 are more powerful. It accept us to use more fx in signal chain without getting muddy and fake sound. Next 3 days, the X3 bean will be arrived in front of my door! I can't wait to try it! :D I've just sold my PODxt Live to buy it.

The only experience I have with the 2.0 version, is with the bean one.
It was quite muddy compared to the Xt, and high gain sounds weren't really "there" and also required lots of post processing to make it work in a mix.

But...less gainy sounds were really warm and open.

I prefer the Xt myself

could it be Processor? In X3, we have dual tone that requires more power than just one. So I think Processor in X3 are more powerful. It accept us to use more fx in signal chain without getting muddy and fake sound. Next 3 days, the X3 bean will be arrived in front of my door! I can't wait to try it! :D I've just sold my PODxt Live to buy it.

same processor - the X3 has 2 of them which allows the dual amping thing.

the processor and software inside is the same

like someone said above, its all subjective. but i can add my 2 cents here... i thought that the Recto models on the Flextone II were better than the ones on the Vetta. Though the Vetta has more options and flexibility, so you can shape the sound to whatever you need. but i thought the preset Recto on the Flextone II was great with minimal adjustments.

i konw that doesnt answer the first question, but just giving some credence to the fact that the older versions might not have been broke, and therefore the newer versions are not necessarily better.

I had a PODPro rackmount that I sold for the PODxt when it came out. I wish I still had it. The XT/X3 is definitely more versitile, but I loved the sound of the PODPro. You could go direct using two different methods, studio mode through SPDIF or 1/4" out, and live mode that ran out of the XLR outputs. Studio mode sounds just like the POD Bean, but live direct mode had a much different and brighter sound, and was a lot better in my opinion. The two mode sound completely different. Live mode was very 'direct' sounding initially, but with some proper EQ, I though it kicked ass and was very heavy. It was 'my' sound for a long time and it took me a really long time to get the PODxt to the same level. Actually, I can only use the XT/X3 with Curve EQ, otherwise I do not like the sound of it.

Kind of a weird guess, but I would bet anything that Clawhammer's bass guitar Reason samples were done with the PODPro XLR direct mode. Perhaps Jocke can confirm or deny if he reads this!

Here's a small clip of a song I did many, many years ago with the PODPro XLR live outs, Rectifier model for both guitars and bass (same patch). I loved the bass tone.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/868701/3-16-03%20Final.mp3

I had a PODPro rackmount that I sold for the PODxt when it came out. I wish I still had it. The XT/X3 is definitely more versitile, but I loved the sound of the PODPro. You could go direct using two different methods, studio mode through SPDIF or 1/4" out, and live mode that ran out of the XLR outputs. Studio mode sounds just like the POD Bean, but live direct mode had a much different and brighter sound, and was a lot better in my opinion. The two mode sound completely different. Live mode was very 'direct' sounding initially, but with some proper EQ, I though it kicked ass and was very heavy. It was 'my' sound for a long time and it took me a really long time to get the PODxt to the same level. Actually, I can only use the XT/X3 with Curve EQ, otherwise I do not like the sound of it.

Kind of a weird guess, but I would bet anything that Clawhammer's bass guitar Reason samples were done with the PODPro XLR direct mode. Perhaps Jocke can confirm or deny if he reads this!

Here's a small clip of a song I did many, many years ago with the PODPro XLR live outs, Rectifier model for both guitars and bass (same patch). I loved the bass tone.

Thanks Matt, I'm interested in getting one now , if it sounds more or less the same as my X3 i can always sell it on,
I spoke to a Guitarist i know (from Man must Die) and he swears by the original Pro too - and his tone is really good.

Thanks Matt, I'm interested in getting one now , if it sounds more or less the same as my X3 i can always sell it on,
I spoke to a Guitarist i know (from Man must Die) and he swears by the original Pro too - and his tone is really good.

No problem. Just stating again that the Original PODPro and the X3 sound nothing alike. I forgot to mention that I also ran it into a Peavey Classic 120/120 poweramp and it sounded amazing. A lot better than the XT/X3 in my opinion.

No problem. Just stating again that the Original PODPro and the X3 sound nothing alike. I forgot to mention that I also ran it into a Peavey Classic 120/120 poweramp and it sounded amazing. A lot better than the XT/X3 in my opinion.

Matt, the only thing thats bothering me about getting this is the fact theres no stomp models on it.
How for example, would you tighten the amp sound (without the screamer stomp) i dont want to shell out for this if its just going to be all muddy when palm muting etc)

On the X3 live i go > gate > Screamer > amp > EQ

There was guitars in that?

jk

ok ok ok, phew, done some listening to a band i know that uses the POD pro, and i A/B against a quick demo i did last night,

Im NOT getting it, I was able to pull up a great Suffocation (despise the sun era) Tone, with my cheap ass Rockwood LX gtr with stock pickups, And I prefer it to what i heard from the Bands tone.

This Gear love is really addictive at times!!!