PODXT or Mic real amps?!?!

Sep 19, 2006
I'm about to invest some more $$$ into my equip. I have a V-amp and thought the tone was good until i mixed it in with the drums and vocals and now I depise the tone completely. I was hoping that the PODXT would be a nice easy solution for 300 bones, but the more I read the more I'm comtemplating on just investing my time and money into recording real amps.

Here's my available equip for guits.
Two Standard 4x12 Mesa Cabs
MEsa Triple Rectifier
Orange 50w Rockerverb (awesome head if anyones curious)
Ample amount of 57's and 58's
V-amp2

So I have a very simple question, should I buy a PODXT for my future guitar recordings or should I use that same $$$ on doing actual recordings? If I should spend it on micing the amps, what do you guys suggest I purchase to get better guit tone (i.e. noise gate, certain pedals, certain mics)??

Please help me out, I'll provide a link to show you the guitar tones I'm getting so you can see the problem I'm dealing with.

www.soundclick.com/delosgermaine

i tried to record with it and got nothing but shitty tones, you got any settings I should try to record with as like a starting point?

If you can get good tones out of a real tube amp, cab and mic - do it.
If you can't (yet) - use a temporary easy solution (hardware and software ampsims) and at the same time learn to mic your real amp/cab.

A reamp device would be a good investment - use it to reamp through an ampsim now and when you master micing - use the same recorded clean signal to get a killer tube tone.

yea until i can afford a reamp im just using a direct box and geting real amp and also a clean guitar track which i run through Revalver MkII if im not happy with real amp.

Revalver mkII is pretty impresive with some of these impulses floating around here:headbang:

I posted a new track on my soundclick called Mesa Test. Tell me what you guys think i need to do, I think there might be too much gain? It's quadtracked at 95% and 50% both ways. should i be using two different tones, or quadtrack the same tone? any advice is welcome

p.s. I don't play guitar I play drums so I apologize for my lacking skills.

I like it alot, I was debating to get the oh so famous firepod but I like the 8pre because of the faders in the front, its not just a red clipping light. the only problem I ever had with it was linking two of them together, huge pain in the ass, if anyone has that same problem let me know.

Overall, yes very happy with the 8pre's.
Thanks