Pointless rant about guitar strings.

R.I.P.2

just say hi
Jan 22, 2002
ARGH!!

After listening to Opeth (with Rusty) for the first time in ages, I decided to work out some of their songs. I have a Jackson DKMG with a locking thing [/articulate], like a Floyd Rose, and my guitar was tuned to D because I always play Death. So I begin tuning up to E, what Opeth plays in. It takes ages. I'm tightening the LAST LOCK (covering the B and high E strings) and the E string goes. Shit. Every string goes out of tune with it. Not cool, just not cool. So I take out the snapped string, I get my last spare out and couldn't cut the ball off the end due to some crappy wire-cutters and my lack of motivation to get some scissors. Eventually I put the string in, and start tuning the whole thing again. Now I've finally tuned it up properly and have wasted so much time, I'm not even going to play Opeth now. :(

Most boring thread ever? It needed to come out :$ :zzz:

Interesti said:
ARGH!!

After listening to Opeth (with Rusty) for the first time in ages, I decided to work out some of their songs. I have a Jackson DKMG with a locking thing [/articulate], like a Floyd Rose, and my guitar was tuned to D because I always play Death. So I begin tuning up to E, what Opeth plays in. It takes ages. I'm tightening the LAST LOCK (covering the B and high E strings) and the E string goes. Shit. Every string goes out of tune with it. Not cool, just not cool. So I take out the snapped string, I get my last spare out and couldn't cut the ball off the end due to some crappy wire-cutters and my lack of motivation to get some scissors. Eventually I put the string in, and start tuning the whole thing again. Now I've finally tuned it up properly and have wasted so much time, I'm not even going to play Opeth now. :(

Most boring thread ever? It needed to come out :$ :zzz:
Lesson: don't play your guitar along with silly bands who use silly tunings, and then try to tune up to E. :D :p

[motivation] But don't let this little mishap stop you. [/motivation]

I'm glad I inspired you to do something useful with your life. :)

EDIT: *starts looking for Deliverance tabs* :D

Tip: If you unlock the nut, it WILL fall out of tune quickly. What you need to do with strings is tune the offending string until it reaches the desired pitch, and wait a few minutes. It'll probably be out of tune again. Just keep doing that, and eventually the string will adjust and stay that way when you tighten the nut again.

Herald of Abomination said:
TipWhat you need to do with strings is tune the offending string until it reaches the desired pitch, and wait a few minutes. It'll probably be out of tune again.
Or you could do it the fast way, where you tune up to pitch, then take hold of the string and pull it away from the body a few times to stretch it, then retune it, then stretch it again etc.. :D

I invested in a Trem-Stabilizer. I totally wish all my guitars had one. I can tune to whatever I want to, and it is as easy as doing it on a guitar without a tremelo.

I also hate using other tunings than E. I only write in E. My other guitarist only writes in dropped D, which I can live with, but I wish he would become normal, lol.

Dropped D is a damn nice tunning to me. You can reach tonalities and chord positions otherwise not possible. To me ( i compose most if not everything in Fmayor and D minor ) its great.