Poll for 2003: We're halfway through!

*2002*

Top Ten 2002 album that you're still listening to the most: Agalloch "The Mantle", Rapture "Songs For The Withering". Both TOTALLY AMAZING.

NEW great album of 2002 (but you've only just got round to hearing it for the first time this year!!): I like Daylight Dies "No Reply" and Merciless "Merciless", also WOODS OF YPRES "AGAINST THE SEASONS" -- TEH FUCKING PWN.

*2003*

Most surprisingly good album of 2003 (one which turned out to be much better than expected!!): I'd say Enslaved "Below The Lights." Best since "Blodhemn."

Most disappointing album of 2003 (one which turned out to be much worse than expected!!): None.

Best live performance: N/A
EDIT: I just noticed it didn't say "to date" on this one. So I'll just go ahead and say Testament @ Wacken and get it over with :p

Overall worst album of 2003 to date: Metallica perhaps? I don't really bother with crap generally.

Overall favourite 2003 album to date: Negurã Bunget "N 'Crugu Bradului". I also like the new Darkthrone and the new Enslaved.

Phyre, when did you get hold of Against the Seasons? and how?

BTW they were supposed to be playing tonight in OTtawa but they cancelled >=[[[[

JayKeeley said:
Got the setlist? Was it the same setlist that they played elsewhere? I'm just wondering if they're varying the songs at all from venue to venue....

It was the same one posted up here, but in a slightly different order, I think. I'll have to check...

*2002*

Top Ten 2002 album that you're still listening to the most: Out of my top 10, I'm still listening to Dark Tranquillity and Thyrfing quite a bit, but I'm actually listening to Kataklysm - Shadows & Dust - more than anything else from 2002, and it didn't make my top 10.

NEW great album of 2002 (but you've only just got round to hearing it for the first time this year!!): I would have to say Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultos, unless you insist that Amon Amarth's Versus The World was a 2002 release, in which case that album owns. Hands down.

*2003*

Most surprisingly good album of 2003 (one which turned out to be much better than expected!!): I've actually been surprised by quite a few releases so far this year, including Dark Fortress, Enslaved, Solefald and Dragonforce, but no other release this year has wowed me like Blood Red Throne, probably because I was thinking the album would be just another death metal release. Oh was I wrong.

Most disappointing album of 2003 (one which turned out to be much worse than expected!!): Children of Bodom or Soilwork, I'm not sure which one is worse. But both bands should just stop now.

Best live performance: This is an incredibly tough one for me, as I've already seen a bazillion great live shows this year, including Opeth twice, Amon Amarth/Behemoth, the Gods of Metal tour before it was cancelled, and more. But I think the NJ Metalfest was by far the best overall concert experience of the year for me.

Overall worst album of 2003 to date: Soilwork - Figure Number Five and Children of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathroll (tie)

Overall favorite 2003 album to date: Blood Red Throne - Affiliated With The Suffering and Amon Amarth - Versus The World (if that counts as a 2003 release)

And just think, there's so much more to come!

I might have to put Dechristianize into one of the top spots of the year so far. I mean, seriously, how good is that album!? Each time I listen to it, I pick up something new that's cool. In that way, it reminds me a little of Beneath the Remains with all the intricacies etc. :cool:

markgugs said:
Best live performance: This is an incredibly tough one for me, as I've already seen a bazillion great live shows this year, including Opeth twice, Amon Amarth/Behemoth, the Gods of Metal tour before it was cancelled, and more. But I think the NJ Metalfest was by far the best overall concert experience of the year for me.

Well, having just returned from the BW&BK Festival, I can say with ease that it is without a doubt the best live performance I've been to this year (a throne it can hold until I go to Wacken in 6 weeks). Here's the bands and how I rated their performances:

American Dog (who?): didn't see them, can't comment
Cage: (very pleasant surprise) ****
Kataklysm: (ruled, as expected) *****
Elegy: (um, just not my thing) *
Force Of Evil: (metal up my ass) ****
Falconer: (I went there not liking them, left loving them) ****
Nevermore: (seriously crippled my neck, band of the night) *****

Beyond The Embrace: (the best by far of the 4 times I've seen them now) ****
Eidolon: (great talent, there's just something lacking it seems) ***
Wolf: (probably the most fun I've had in a long time) *****
Evergrey: (my first time, and I just can't say enough about them) *****
Jag Panzer: (Dark One will disagree, but I was tired and they were just eh, what little I heard) ***
Trouble: (as sacriligious as this will be, they do nothing for me) **
Candlemass: (I doom-danced my ass off, Messiah is my new god) ****

As you can see, there was plenty of sick fucking metal to be had. Easily the show of the year thus far.

This looks like fun... I'll do my own ratings...

American Dog: (You didn't miss much, markgugs... horrible glam rock... "I listened to 8 tracks of Deep Purple. Rap sucks. Good to see Hammerfall shirts here." blah blah blah) No stars
Cage: (Eh... thought it was pretty cheesy... they looked cool though) *
Kataklysm: (not my thing, but i'll give them credit for putting on a good show) **
Elegy: (Overall, the music wasn't very memorable... but I did like 2 songs... "Icehouse"... and I think the last one.. the keyboardist was highly skilled... and Ian Parry was hilarious, if a bit disturbing... "Bend me over and f*ck me twice", etc.... and his clap was silly... one hand claps the other arm's wrist... I was doing the Ian Parry clap all weekend after that) **
Force Of Evil: (Pretty generic but not horrible) **
Falconer: (This was torture... especially knowing Nevermore was up next) *
Nevermore: (Amazing... Warrel was suprisingly hilarious... the music was brutal) *****

Beyond The Embrace: (This band is really starting to make a believer out of me... but for some reason... I really enjoy them much more live than on cd... must be the production) ****
Eidolon: (Heavy... and occassionally cool guitar parts... but I can't stand the vocals) **
Wolf: (eh... didn't really get into these guys... looked and sounded like they came right out of Indiana circa 1983) *
Evergrey: (my first time, and I just can't say enough about them... band of the weekend for me) *****
Jag Panzer: (I really like Jag Panzer... but I was really disappointed that they did a set consisting only of 80's material... which I find unremarkable and quite dated for the most part. They still put on a nice show though, and Harry was hilarious.) ***
Trouble: (Not really into them... but I thought they were somewhat enjoyable... a couple of good tunes.) **
Candlemass: (they seemed energetic and tight... Messiah certainly has a voice and a presence... but their brand of doom doesn't appeal to me) **

I had a great time... though it was a long wait til Nevermore at the end of the night on Friday for me... I didn't like any of those bands... Saturday was much better

Just because I like making lists, here's my (in progress) top 20 of 2003 thus far.

1. Amon Amarth - Vs. The World
2. Dark Fortress - Profane Genocidal Creations
3. Cradle Of Filth - Damnation And A Day
4. Vital Remains - Dechristianized
5. Evergrey - Recreation Day
6. Omnium Gatherum - Spirits And August Light
7. God Dethroned - Into The Lungs Of Hell
8. Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
9. Enslaved - Below The Lights
10. Skyfire - Mind Revolution
11. Kalmah - Swampsong
12. Darkthrone - Hate Them
13. Carnal Forge - The More You Suffer
14. Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy
15. Callenish Circle - My Passion // Your Pain
16. Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild
17. Marduk - World Funeral
18. Grave Digger - Rheingold
19. Usurper - Twilight Dominion
20. The Black Dahlia Murder - Unhallowed

Now keep in mind these are only the CDs I've taken the time to rate & rank. There's plenty to come, plenty I haven't heard yet, and even these are far from set in stone. Just food for thought.

Cool, and I wouldn't imagine that anyone would agree to even 1/2 of my list. Hell, I already know that some of it's going to change, since I don't have Moonsorrow, Blood Red Throne or Nevermore up there, and there are still several, many even, high profile releases still to come.

Mark my words, it will change!

markgugs said:
2. Dark Fortress - Profane Genocidal Creations
I bought this cheap on eBay. About a month ago. Still no sign of it, but it is coming in from Canada...!:eek:
4. Vital Remains - Dechristianized
Hey it's Dechristianize without the 'd' at the end. And ironically, I originally uploaded it as "Christianize" until you pointed that error out to me...:lol:

*2002*

Top Ten 2002 album that you're still listening to the most: Symphony X's "The Odyssey". Simply put, music doesn't get any better.

NEW great album of 2002 (but you've only just got round to hearing it for the first time this year!!): Cage's "Darker than Black". I'm not a huge fan of Power Metal, and certainly not Power Metal with lyrics this cheesey. However, the hooks on this disc are hard to resist.

*2003*

Most surprisingly good album of 2003 (one which turned out to be much better than expected!!): Katatonia's "Viva Emptiness". "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" did nothing for me, but this disc is superb.

Most disappointing album of 2003 (one which turned out to be much worse than expected!!): Kamelot's "Epica". I thought they'd take a huge step up with this CD, but instead took two back.

Best live performance: Nevermore @ BW & BK, It's a bit unfair to compare Nevermore to mere mortals. This is the 5th time I've seen them and the 5th time they've been better than every band I've ever seen. If I had to pick a mortal band, I'd go with Evergrey's @ BW & BK performace.

Overall worst album of 2003 to date: MADDER MORTEM - DEADLANDS. Agreed.

Overall favourite 2003 album to date: Opeth's "Damnation".' When I listen to this disc, I just get the sense that this disc, unlike many others, will be relevant 20 years from now.

GZ

All sources are pointing toward new Hypocrisy and Morbid Angel releases by the end of the year, VERY excited!!! Hypocrisy will allegedly be going back toward their more X-files oriented material, a damn good thing. Morbid Angel has built up such an incredible track record that I'm not worried that it will be anything short of incredible.

General Zod said:
Most surprisingly good album of 2003 (one which turned out to be much better than expected!!): Katatonia's "Viva Emptiness". "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" did nothing for me, but this disc is superb.

Yeah I love this one - it grows and grows. Am I crazy in thinking that Viva Emptiness sounds so much like TOOL?