Poll: Tom Hunting......Exodus Drummer....How Would You Rate Him?

Rate Tom Hunting On His Drumming Ability......

• One Of The Best Drummers In Metal.......Period

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Very Good.......Alot Better Than Most

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Just Average........

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Nothing Special....Alot More Better Drummers Out There

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Poor.........He Just Does'nt Count.......IMO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
An acquaintance of mine, recently told me, that Tom's drums on Tempo Of The Damned were lack luster(not very good at all)........and that he was not a GREAT drummer in general........So I thought I'd do a poll on what TESTAMENT fans think of his talent?

Now I of course think that he is great, one of my favorite drummers in Metal, he's one of the frst drummers who revolutionized Thrash Metal, with his Double Blazing Bass Kicks, his Left handed unusual playing stlye(like no one else), his beautiful sounding innovative fills, his fast and fluid pace, and A MONSTER on the drum kit!........ but I can only compare him to Dave Lombardo, for talent & style.........What do you TL board members think?........I'm Curious?

i went for "very good ....."

I like his style, he is pretty fast and certainly knows how to throw an extra beat at the moment where one doesn't expect (and i always like to be surprised like this) plus he's got that thrashy feeling.
Very good feet work.

However there are some that i put above in my personal classification and at the very top are..... :
Dave Lombardo and Janek "Sztorm" Tempesta - those guys i can listen for hours simply concentrating on drumm patterns.

You know something, I was thinking about this the other night while listening to TOTD. I'd read a post online saying someone thought Tom's drumming on this album was not that great. Then while listening to the album, I was thinking, holy fuckin shit is this drumming incredible. The playing is tight, solid, fast as fuck, and some killer fills. Tom Hunting rules in my book. :headbang:

Deadly Embrace said:
An acquaintance of mine, recently told me, that Tom's drums on Tempo Of The Damned were lack luster(not very good at all)........and that he was not a GREAT drummer in general........So I thought I'd do a poll on what TESTAMENT fans think of his talent?

Now I of course think that he is great, one of my favorite drummers in Metal, he's one of the frst drummers who revolutionized Thrash Metal, with his Double Blazing Bass Kicks, his Left handed unusual playing stlye(like no one else), his beautiful sounding innovative fills, his fast and fluid pace, and A MONSTER on the drum kit!........ but I can only compare him to Dave Lombardo, for talent & style.........What do you TL board members think?........I'm Curious?

This kind of comments often happen with thrash drummers! I think Tom is very fast with his feet wich makes him very versatile when it comes to fast thrash beats because he can compromise with his kicks even on a constant tempo. I think your comparison to lombardo is accurate though I think that Lombardo is a bit more technical nad groovy. I'd compare Tom to Paul Bostaph ...

By the way, I went for Very Good

IMO, I dont think Bostaph and Hunting are the same style of drumming.
I'd compare Lombardo to Hunting if anything. The work I've heard Paul do
with Slayer (Divine and Diabolous) and Forbidden, especially the unreleased
stuff he did with Forbidden, I think Paul is waaaay different. IMO.

I dont think Hunting's drumming is sub-par on Tempo, I think whomever
mixed this, Andy Sneap?, didnt put enough meat and thunder into it. IMO.
Hunting's definitely got the skills.

OFFICER FRIENDLY

^^ The videos are already completed.

I think Hunting is a great drummer, its a shame he's so underrated. I think I would even go as far as group him as great as Dave Lombardo. His drumming on Tempo is damn good, and his drumming on the old material is also good. He seemed to be more involved on the drumming on the earlier albums compared to some of the thrash drummers at the time.

Um....I'm gonna get in trouble...I can just feel it.

I think he's great on the whole. But to my ears half of the drumming on Tempo is outrageous, complicated, and innovative. The other half...it may be what the song called for. See the difference? Not all songs require tricky shit. Some require the basic backbone to be in place and nothing more.

Overall, I think he's fabulous.

He's no VAN WILLIAMS though! (excuse me. Forgot I wasn't in the Nevermore forum).

Hunting is a solid powerhouse drummer and definitely has his moments. But let's face it - he can't live up to guys like Dave Lombardo, Gene Hoglan or Dave McClain. Note also that I mentioned only Thrash drummers. Hunting would fall behind even further if I introduced Death & Black Metal skinbashers as well.

DrillSergeant said:
Hunting is a solid powerhouse drummer and definitely has his moments. But let's face it - he can't live up to guys like Dave Lombardo, Gene Hoglan or Dave McClain. Note also that I mentioned only Thrash drummers. Hunting would fall behind even further if I introduced Death & Black Metal skinbashers as well.
Dave Lombardo: For one........I never said he was better than Lombardo, but I compared them because they are very simular, both have years of experience, come from ground breaking bands, fast feet, Fills that flow......but are very unique. And at the top of their fields......IMO

Tom Hunting: Now I of course think that he is great, one of my favorite drummers in Metal, he's one of the first drummers who revolutionized Thrash Metal, with his Double Blazing Bass Kicks, his Left handed unusual playing stlye(like no one else), his beautiful sounding innovative fills, his fast and fluid pace, and A MONSTER on the drum kit.

Johnny Tempesta: Johnny is the total picture, while not better than those above. I like his style better than Gene. He comes from Exodus, Testament, White Zombie, Rob Zombie, & now Helmet......He's been the most successful out of all these above mentioned drummers & has sold more records than any of them. I've never meet any drummer who learned songs faster....thats why he surpasses everyone in this area, when your in the studio, time is money, & I've seen Johnny one take many a song.........

Dave McClain: I really like Dave, he's a heavy hitter, great timing, one of my favorites also, everything he does is solid, & MH, have alot of changes, real fast parts, slow parts, & even Rap parts, so all around he is great......IMO

Gene Hoglan: Yes Gene's faster than almost everyone(has the fastest feet), but not as fluid, he is a great drummer, has the experience, but falls in behind the above mentioned.....IMO

Paul Bostaph: Paul has to be mentioned, he's another star drummer, Slayer, Forbidden, Testament, & Systematic, thats says that......all around great drummer, but the above mentioned guys are just alittle better.

Andy Galeon: Long time Basher, he was doing pro drumming while still in mid High School, pretty amazing, his feet are fast, his timing is perfect, for those changes that Death Angel are known for, while others have more sucess, Andy was the youngest drummer I ever saw have immediate impact. And still one of the Best....

Per M.: Now I consider The Haunted, more Thrash than Death, so if your talking Thrash drummers, Per while a new comer, when compared to those above, has to be mentioned, all around great drummer, fast feet, great timing, he does everything, but he lacks the experience, & credentials, of all above.....
But I consider him to be next in line for making his name shine........

Chris Kontos: I will have to mention Chris also, he has a very simular style to Tom's, his skills are great, but he has not used his talent as much, or as widely as the above mentioned lot........but he gets an honorable mention, from me at least......

Perry Strickland.......Honoraqble Mention.....See post below.....

Steve Jacobs..........Honorable Mention..........

I've been on tour with all 11 of these drummers, and watched them, right next to their kits, soundchecks, recording in the studio, practice, playing live, rehearsals.....etc.....And in multiples of times, (not just watching a band from the crowd, once or twice while they are on tour, or just listening to their albums, over & over).....So I've really studied their total picture........Now who did I leave out?

Deadly Embrace said:
Dave Lombardo: For one........I never said he was better than Lombardo, but I compared them because they are very simular, both have years of experience, come from ground breaking bands, fast feet, Fills that flow......but are very unique. And at the top of their fields......IMO
Dave Lombardo - my numero uno!

would you guys believe that i listened to The Gathering for like 7-8 months in my car, day by day, (xSuixTommyx was laughing at me "when will you finally take it out of the player:Spin: ?")
the art of riffage - yes!!! :hotjump:
but also i listened to Dave's work - that made me listen carefully to every single beat there - i don't know what to say - this guy is killing me.
it was year and a half ago that i had to possibility to see him with Slayer twice - left me speechless .... :headbang: :headbang:

Janek "Sztorm" Tempesta - just waited to hear him doing songs like DNR live - and when i finally heard him do it - i knew i wasn't wrong takimg him for one of the best on this planet - KILLER drummer!!!:headbang: :headbang:

also another one that kills me and haven't been mentioned yet is Igor Cavalera - saw him last year with Sepultura - couple of weeks before Testament gig in Poland - he ruled the gig IMO - it was him ... and then the rest of the band.:headbang: :headbang:

Lemme put it to you this way...... there are more great drummers coming out of the BA for a reason, and I think that's in no small part because of Tom. Highly underrated....

and for what its worth, I would rate Bostaph much higher than DE did....

Deadly Embrace said:
Dave Lombardo:
Tom Hunting:
Johnny Tempesta:
Dave McClain:
Gene Hoglan:
Paul Bostaph:
Per M.:
Chris Kontos:

Now who did I leave out?

DE....Dude....2 Words...Perry Strickland?.....double kicking barefoot?

:D

OFFICER FRIENDLY

Testament Legions said:
Don't forget Andy Galeon... he's awesome!
You missed it........I edited him in while you making this post.........:)

And Perry could also be on my Honorable mention list........knew I forgot someone!......But I've never seen him play barefoot, think I'd remember that.