Poll: Which bands should return?

Select 3 Bands to Return

• Total voters
My comment on the thread as a whole up to now is pretty simple really for the first part. The poll itself kind of shows what bands are of interest. I voted for Threshold, Orphaned Land, and Nightingale......in that order. Most of the others are great bands too, but those are my personal choices.

However, the second question that Glenn posed is of more interest to me. I don't mind repeat bands and I am not even sure if there is a real "rule" to it all simply because of all the crossover musicians within the musical styles the festival adheres to. I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread that MANY musicians move from band to band like gypsies and some we have seen two or three times perform, just under different monikers. So what defines a "repeat"? Obviously certain bands are actually carried by a specific member, such as Nightwish with Tarja, or P.O.S. with Daniel, Nightingale with Dan Swano, or Silent Force with D.C. Cooper, so forth and so on.......so if we see those members again, I would consider those individuals REPEATS myself.

But on a side note, someone made a comment earlier about running out of bands to have come to the show. I think the idea of that is ludicrous personally. I have been listening to this style of music since 1987. I know some people have been listening to it even longer. I have a collection of about 600 UNIQUE bands and about 2000 discs.......many of the bands are of course defunct, but there's about 2 or 3 cropping up for every one of them that disappear.......especially now with the internet inspiring so many soundalikes. It doesn't spawn a whole lot of NEW sounds in metal, but it does spawn a whole lot of new bands to fill the identity gaps of those bands that disappear. I have a mental list of about 100 bands I would like to see live just off the top of my head. Bands like Enchant have 8 albums under their belt and have shown interest in this festival and have never been invited. Some interesting bands like Wolverine or Swan Christy or Candlemass or Sylvan or any of the other thousand bands out there that people in the US may never get to see, would be nice invites. Sylvan themselves have like 5 albums by themselves. These bands may not draw a huge crowd, but neither did bands like Pagan's Mind before they were invited. They were practically nobodies at the time of their announcement to be in the show. It was a similar situation with Mercenary. People were like "WHO?" when they were announced. So taking into account these supposed unknown bands and making them KNOWN greats after playing ProgPower is part of the offering Glenn has as a promoter. Glenn can MAKE them a star basically, just as he has done with many of these other bands who have attended that no one knew.

So I say, who needs THAT many repeats when there are a large number of bands that may not draw a huge crowd upon initial announcement, but will possibly return a few years later as a major headliner........

I think Enchant could be a huge crowd pleaser one year and maybe a secondary headliner a year or two later.....who knows. Glenn might give them the break they need.......

Just food for thought.

ANAKIN
Jason

Say... where's Adagio?
I thought they were great a couple years back at PP

General Zod said:
For starters, we'll rule out any band performing this year. Glenn has stated he won’t have bands perform in back to back years. Additionally, we'll exclude headliners. The logic behind this... the number of factors which determine who headlines, seem to be far greater than simple availability. For obvious reasons, we’ll exclude bands that have ceased to exist or who were special, one time only events. Finally, since UM polls have to be limited to 20 options, I've included the 20 bands who seem to generate the most discussion on this forum.

Please select only three.

Zod

I have always said that running out of bands for PP will never happen. I think the problem may be the naysayers who dis a band just because they haven't heard of them. I can't tell you how many 'fans' I talk to who say they won't be at the fest this year because they don't like the lineup. C'mon. Savage Circus? Epica? Thunderstone? Vision Divine? Just because you are not familiar with a band, does not mean they won't amaze you live. PP has given a rare opportunity to us, to be able to expand our horizons musically. Not a bad offer I'd say.

Anakinnnn said:
My comment on the thread as a whole up to now is pretty simple really for the first part. The poll itself kind of shows what bands are of interest. I voted for Threshold, Orphaned Land, and Nightingale......in that order. Most of the others are great bands too, but those are my personal choices.

However, the second question that Glenn posed is of more interest to me. I don't mind repeat bands and I am not even sure if there is a real "rule" to it all simply because of all the crossover musicians within the musical styles the festival adheres to. I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread that MANY musicians move from band to band like gypsies and some we have seen two or three times perform, just under different monikers. So what defines a "repeat"? Obviously certain bands are actually carried by a specific member, such as Nightwish with Tarja, or P.O.S. with Daniel, Nightingale with Dan Swano, or Silent Force with D.C. Cooper, so forth and so on.......so if we see those members again, I would consider those individuals REPEATS myself.

But on a side note, someone made a comment earlier about running out of bands to have come to the show. I think the idea of that is ludicrous personally. I have been listening to this style of music since 1987. I know some people have been listening to it even longer. I have a collection of about 600 UNIQUE bands and about 2000 discs.......many of the bands are of course defunct, but there's about 2 or 3 cropping up for every one of them that disappear.......especially now with the internet inspiring so many soundalikes. It doesn't spawn a whole lot of NEW sounds in metal, but it does spawn a whole lot of new bands to fill the identity gaps of those bands that disappear. I have a mental list of about 100 bands I would like to see live just off the top of my head. Bands like Enchant have 8 albums under their belt and have shown interest in this festival and have never been invited. Some interesting bands like Wolverine or Swan Christy or Candlemass or Sylvan or any of the other thousand bands out there that people in the US may never get to see, would be nice invites. Sylvan themselves have like 5 albums by themselves. These bands may not draw a huge crowd, but neither did bands like Pagan's Mind before they were invited. They were practically nobodies at the time of their announcement to be in the show. It was a similar situation with Mercenary. People were like "WHO?" when they were announced. So taking into account these supposed unknown bands and making them KNOWN greats after playing ProgPower is part of the offering Glenn has as a promoter. Glenn can MAKE them a star basically, just as he has done with many of these other bands who have attended that no one knew.

So I say, who needs THAT many repeats when there are a large number of bands that may not draw a huge crowd upon initial announcement, but will possibly return a few years later as a major headliner........

I think Enchant could be a huge crowd pleaser one year and maybe a secondary headliner a year or two later.....who knows. Glenn might give them the break they need.......

Just food for thought.

ANAKIN
Jason

My votes:

Threshold (of course! :D)
Redemption
Orphaned Land

My 4th pick would have been Silent Force, or DC Cooper backed up by anyone! I thoroughly enjoyed his pre-party set last year... so awesome.

And I personally love repeats. There are some bands on the list that I didn't care for, but there are far more that I would love to see again.

Lorraine

Exploding Ned said:
Just because you are not familiar with a band, does not mean they won't amaze you live. PP has given a rare opportunity to us, to be able to expand our horizons musically. Not a bad offer I'd say.

I was a big critic of PP5, because I had not heard almost any of the bands who were going to be there, but I went, and I only came away with 1-2 worth checking out in more detail, and in general, was very disappointed with the lineup that year, but I still went, because I love the festival atmosphere, and yes, to give new bands a chance. I agree not going based on not hearing the bands in the lineup is a very lame excuse, but on the other hand, it's a HUGE expense to a lot of people, I easily spend $600 a year for a ticket, plane travel, hotel and food costs, and fest purchases. While it's worth the ginormous hit on the pocketbook for me year after year, it may not be financially feasable for other people expecting a medicore (at best) show.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH REPEAT BANDS, HAVE 1 OR 10. I ENJOY OLD AND NEW BANDS. I KNEW OF 7/10 BANDS THIS YEAR AND I AM EXCITED AS HELL, OTHER YEARS I'VE ONLY KNOWN OF 2-4. EVERY YEAR (THIS BEING MY 5TH) GLENN'S CHOICE OF BANDS HAS BEEN GREAT WHETHER THEY BEEN THERE MULITPLE TIMES OR NOT. SCREW THE NAYSAYER'S, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE LINE ANY YEAR, DON'T COME.

Agreed.

INFINITE-DREAMS said:
I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH REPEAT BANDS, HAVE 1 OR 10. I ENJOY OLD AND NEW BANDS. I KNEW OF 7/10 BANDS THIS YEAR AND I AM EXCITED AS HELL, OTHER YEARS I'VE ONLY KNOWN OF 2-4. EVERY YEAR (THIS BEING MY 5TH) GLENN'S CHOICE OF BANDS HAS BEEN GREAT WHETHER THEY BEEN THERE MULITPLE TIMES OR NOT. SCREW THE NAYSAYER'S, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE LINE ANY YEAR, DON'T COME.

So I guess you'd rather blow your vacation $ on Disney Land? The World's Largest Hand Dug Well? Dollyworld? Seriously, it's THE metal festival in the states, and has brought us many many great bands. Mediocre? hmmmm... er... ah... harumph

nailz said:
I was a big critic of PP5, because I had not heard almost any of the bands who were going to be there, but I went, and I only came away with 1-2 worth checking out in more detail, and in general, was very disappointed with the lineup that year, but I still went, because I love the festival atmosphere, and yes, to give new bands a chance. I agree not going based on not hearing the bands in the lineup is a very lame excuse, but on the other hand, it's a HUGE expense to a lot of people, I easily spend $600 a year for a ticket, plane travel, hotel and food costs, and fest purchases. While it's worth the ginormous hit on the pocketbook for me year after year, it may not be financially feasable for other people expecting a medicore (at best) show.

My top three (and I actually only voted for 3),

1. Spiral Architect
2. Zero Hour
3. Brainstorm

I was really looking for Symphony X, but I guess they don't get in the poll since they've headlined. It was really difficult choosing only 3 because in reality, I'm really pretty much "very happy with" down to "Ok with" most of the bands in the poll. There were a few I don't really care to see, but most of the others all put on a great live show. My big surpise for PPV was Brainstorm and Tad Morose -- they blew me away and I had barely heard of them before the show. Now I own a bunch of both band's CD as well as both Symphorce CDs!

I personally love repeats when the repeats are at the top of their game. Symphony X and Evergrey can play there every year! ;-) The other aspect is the fact that there are new people all the time and if this festival ever went to a larger venue, it would have to appeal to even more people so I'd expect to see a more repeat heavy ratio in order to draw the larger numbers required.

My number 1 request for new band, of course would be Enchant!!!!

I had to go with Brainstorm, Silent Force and Pagan's Mind. Vanden Plas was a close fourth, but they are returning anyway. Tough Choices to have to narrow it down to three.

Harvester said:
I'm also curious to see what the backlash would be if I booked a larger returning contigent (say a 5/5 or 6/4 split) for 2007. Hell, it may be easier to put together an all-star show next year than PP USA X based on circumstances coming into play. For example, 2009 may turn into this year where I just can't get who I want while I know I could get them in 2007.

On the flip side, I have no doubt that there would be a very vocal reaction against that as well as they want "new blood" which I completely understand.

This job is hell sometimes....

Look at it this way, each time you voice concerns or any worries, you always end up selling out anyhow :headbang:. It may be hell sometimes as you say, but whatever you're doing you're doing right by the looks of it.

Harvester said:
I'm also curious to see what the backlash would be if I booked a larger returning contigent (say a 5/5 or 6/4 split) for 2007. Hell, it may be easier to put together an all-star show next year than PP USA X based on circumstances coming into play. For example, 2009 may turn into this year where I just can't get who I want while I know I could get them in 2007.

On the flip side, I have no doubt that there would be a very vocal reaction against that as well as they want "new blood" which I completely understand.

This job is hell sometimes....

Have you considered Theme night, with return bands on say, Friday and Previously Unselected Bands on Saturday, Leaving "New Blood" to Shane?

Exploding Ned said:
So I guess you'd rather blow your vacation $ on Disney Land? The World's Largest Hand Dug Well? Dollyworld? Seriously, it's THE metal festival in the states, and has brought us many many great bands. Mediocre? hmmmm... er... ah... harumph

edit: Ahh, classic example of a MANOWAR complex. :D (hehe, just jerkin with ya Exp.)

Are you asking ME? If thats the case, you may want to re-examine my post. I sink money into it every year because I can afford to. If you're asking other people, perhaps you should stop and consider the fact that Metal or Music IS NOT at the top of everyone's financial or entertainment priority list, what this festival stands for be damned. Yes, mediocre, just like this years lineup. There is no monumental draw this year for the (I hate to use this) average concert goer, and even Glenn admitted he wanted to see how well the monster he created could sell itself based on what it was.

Like it or not, just because we like one style of music does not mean we need to/should feel obligated to spend our money on a draw that does not entice us. I for one, am STOKED about the lineup this year, but Internetuser810 may feel that spending $300 this year for bands he either does not care for or has never heard (hence my mediocre statement) is a waste of money that he may better spend taking his children to Disney World. Are you going to lecture him? That would be pretty sad.

Exploding Ned said:
Say... where's Adagio?
As I said, UM polls only allow for 20 options, or I would have included all the bands who have ever played PP. I simply cut out those bands, who I perceive, are the least popular on this forum. Clearly, had I posted an entire list, the top twenty vote getters would not have been dead on with who I would have thought they would have been. For instance, I left out Superior, who I much prefer over Secret Sphere. In hindsight, it seems Superior would have garnered more votes.

Zod