Pop music

Do you like pop music?

• I like a lot of pop music but still mainly listen to metal.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I hate pop music! Metal or nothing for me!

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I don't listen to it enough to form an opinion.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Pop music is my bread and butter! I only listen to metal now and then.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Isn't this supposed to be a metal forum? What's this pop thread doing here??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Correct me if I am wrong - but doesn't the B in R&B stand for blues? I still can't see where that fits into most of what they call R&B nowadays :confused:

But yeah - I agree with what TinMan666 said:
To me, it doesn't matter if it's pop, rock, metal, jazz... if I think it's good, I like it.

I have enough cd's that I go through phases of listening to some types of music more than others - with a definite preference most of the time to music that features people actually playing an instrument.

Having said all that I generally end up back with metal more often than not :)

Originally posted by weetbix
Correct me if I am wrong - but doesn't the B in R&B stand for blues? I still can't see where that fits into most of what they call R&B nowadays :confused:

You're right. R&B stand for "rhythm and blues"; the argument is that all of this music being made primarily by black artists somehow has its roots in R&B, so it's okay to call it that. Even rap. Can someone explain to me how rap and R&B are even remotely similar?

The only thing R&B is similar to is Motown, and Motown was sort of a combination of jazz and blues... so maybe that's it.

Then again I'm probably completely wrong. :)

Oh well, it was worth a shot. :)

New documentary coming out at the end of January, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". Saw the trailer for it when I saw "Bowling For Columbine", looks like great stuff.

I've always wondered how the term "rhythm and blues" got carried over to this new black music as well because it has no similarities at all to what used to be rhythm and blues.