Pop Punk mix

DiveRightIn63

May 27, 2009
This is for my band's new EP.

Vocals still need to be editted.

Rhythm guitars were reamped by Catharsis.
Lead guitars are TSS -> Poulin LeXTAC -> keFIR (Catharsis s-preshigh impulse)
Clean guitars are Poulin LeXTAC -> keFIR (Catharsis s-preshigh impulse)
Bass is DI to Ampeg SVX.

http://kerryritter.com/coveredinyou.mp3

I like the bass sound.

Kick drum sample isn't rounded enough or tight enough for this production. It's got a tail on it that you need to get rid of.

Snare is too thwacky. It needs more body and less "snare" sound. Check your processing chain. Compress before you EQ.

Lead guitars need less highs and more mids, as well as a bit more reverb to give them space.

Sounding pretty good so far. Keep it up.

I'd also say the kick drum is too clicky for this genre. I also think the vocals aren't vibrant enough, a little dull almost.

I like the bass sound.

Kick drum sample isn't rounded enough or tight enough for this production. It's got a tail on it that you need to get rid of.

Snare is too thwacky. It needs more body and less "snare" sound. Check your processing chain. Compress before you EQ.

Lead guitars need less highs and more mids, as well as a bit more reverb to give them space.

Sounding pretty good so far. Keep it up.

I'll work on the kick and see what I come up with.

As far as the snare, its just a matter of mixing in a couple samples. After listening to it, the snare was making me cringe so I'll definitely give that some work.

I also think the vocals aren't vibrant enough, a little dull almost.

Any suggestions on how to make the vocals sound a little more exciting? They felt weak to me as well, but I don't really know what to do to remedy that.

You could possibly saturate the vocals to the get the high end a little more crisp.

Dunno what the original snare was, but I love the first one. It fits absolutely perfect. It's perhaps a bit unsure of where it should be in the stereo image, because so much sound is from the OH, but otherwise its sounding good.

The kick sounds really mistimed at points, and the vocals are tuned wrong in places.