Pop Rock Mix

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
Hello

Not posted anything in this forum for quite a while. This is a band I've recorded quite a few times now. This is a slight change of sound for them. They used to sound like a punk band, I guess they still have that influence, but it's a bit more tamed than previous efforts.

Still working on this mix at present, getting closer to a finished thing so thought I'd post for some comments.

Drums: Sonor Kit (not idea what model) with recently replaced skins, Joey Jordison snare. Zildjian A Custom first crash, two Zildjian Avedis Rides and New-Beat Hi-Hats. Kick has been replaced. Everything else is real drums. Kit was mic'd with D6 on the kick, Beta 57 on snare top, SM57 on snare bottom, transformerless SM57 on rack tom, MD421 on floor tom. Overheads are Oktava MK-012's. There's an SM57 as a room mic about 4ft in front of the kit pointed above the bass drum. SM7B on the hats.

Bass: Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass, new strings. The active electronics were removed from this bass as they were fucked. It's only using the neck pickup as there was too much klank(if there can be such a thing) from the bridge pickup. Made it sound very negative. Bass is split with a DI and a Sansamp RBI.

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Deluxe for cleans and a Gibson Les Paul Classic for the dirty stuff. He wanted the gain rolled off and this is the sound he liked. I did offer to re-amp through an Orange AD30, but he was happy enough with the Podfarm tones and didn't seem interested in re-amping. A lot of automated delays going on. I don't think it'll be too hard to guess what models I'm using for the tones, but have a guess.

Vocals: The boy has a funny voice, I don't like it nor dislike it. Sometimes I think bits sound fine and other times, I'm not so convinced. Bit of delay and reverb on there. They wanted some effect type stuff on the vocals in parts, hence the filtered and heavily reverbed delayed parts. Was recorded with an SM7B.

I'm having trouble with a couple of parts of the mix. My mastering skills leave a lot to the imagination, but I'm just looking for general feedback on the mix. Not looking for opinions on the song. I've tried to get them to expand on vocals, but they only have one vocalist in the band.

Thanks for any responses, much appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3526809/01_BROKEN LINES MIX1MASTER.mp3