Porcelain Heart

ok.. so, the song is pretty good. i like it, but i think i have to wait for it fully grow on me.

about axe's part... WTF?! i'm not saying its bad or that i dont like it, but it does sound.... weird, i guess that's the word.

Mike, I see you are surprised it costs $1. Do you think it's cheap or is it expensive in your opinion?

This album will be fucking incredible..."The Lotus Eater" is DEFINITELY a grower. Once you get the arrangement in your head, the song flows beautifully. A lot of clean vocals, sure, but seriously...hit 5:50 and WHAT THE FUCK! That part comes out of NOWHERE and it's amazing. Mike sounds incredible, Axe and Fred fit in perfectly, and this album WILL BE what Ghost Reveries tried to be.

As for Porcelain Heart, I'm not as impressed - that one main riff is fucking boring and I know, i know, Axe is DRUMMING OUTSIDE OF THE METER WHAT A SHOWBOAT or whatever, but when I hit the 4:59 mark....good god. Absolutely beautiful.

Haha, I know, this is a lot from two songs, and as much as I love Ghost Reveries, I see it as more of a placeholder album....a solid record, but it didn't really move forward with the Opeth sound. These two tracks sound fucking awesome, and I think the new blood has moved the band forward in a great direction.

This album will be a fucking landmark in death metal. WHO'S WITH ME

PS - clean vocals over blasts. YES.

edit: listen to the riff at 3:29 in porcelain heart and then listen to "Four Corners" by Daylight Dies....WEIRD

not saying Mike "borrowed" it or whatever, it's not a Camel song! Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh by the way, nice job with the Oboe on Porcelain Heart, Mike. It added just what was needed, and actually made me sad that the songs didn't make more use of woodwind on the whole. It fit amazingly well... even better than the vintage era synths do, oddly.

yeah... im glad i hear opeth leaving death metal stuff behind... some more interesting stuff is showing up with these songs.

After listening to that drum bit I think it's great! Very chaotic, as Mikael just mentioned. It's something different as opposed to Axe just doing what you'd normally expect him to do.
Definately finding myself liking these songs more and more as I listen, and thats saying something since I loved them the first time. But I expected at least that.

6:23 in Porcelain Heart sounds very Ghost Reveries, and it's awesome!

I really liked both lotus eater and porcelain heart, I think its hard to compare these two so I really cant say which one I think the best, my mediaplayer says I've listened to them equal amount of times so.

What strikes me most from these two songs is that Opeth once again creates a whole new sound but still having links to the past in some certain parts of the songs, Like gumtree above said 6:23 in procelain heart reminds us about ghost reveries. And it all blends together perfectly, you can clearly notice a change in mike's singing as well, and for the better. If you compare Still life to ghost reveries to these two songs you can clearly notice his clean vocals have improved. I love the songs, despite the expensive price on CDs in sweden, I'd pay double the price for this cd judging from these two songs alone, I'm like a child anticipating the arrival of santa claus(sp?) but instead of delivering presents and warmth, this album will deliver goosebumps and opethgasms.

Thank you mikael, truly.

I've listened to both tracks a lot now, and The Lotus Eater is amazing, I almost cried, that is one of the best openings of an Opeth track evar devised. Porcelain Heart has grown on me as well, I was reluctant about it at first, but it's great, not as energetic or dynamic as Eater, but beautiful and exciting in a different way, and the drumwork is awesome all over.

Axe's drumbeat was the first thing I was amazed in both "The Lotus Eater" and "Porcelain Heart". I knew he is a great drummer and I knew that he will fit in Opeth but I didn't expected that he will fit SO MUCH! I didn't believe Mike actually when he was saying all that good words about Axe - you know, about Ian Paice and Billy Cobham influence. I was wrong. He's fantastic. By the way, I'm a great fan of Lopez, so it was hard to me to recieve Axe in a band and anyway he is fantastic drummer.

Axe, thanks for your drumming! You surprised me and amazed me!

And talking about "Porcelain Heart"... I almost weeped at that large interlude at [5:00-6:00]. It's... it's just over the top. One of the most beautiful Opeth moments ever. I don't know how Mike composes this... it's impossible. And now I understand his talks about "The Drift" influence - this song and this moment expecially are very Walker'ish. Is that oboe or something in that interlude after the vocals? Or these verse endings when Mike sing last words in silence - "went far away" and stuff. Mike is not a Rob Halford or Freddie Mercury, he has no huge range of voice or something but he has so much feeling, emotions in his vocal... can't stop weeping of that. Inhumanly sensible.

Mike, thanks a lot once again! You made me laugh so much, you made me weep... you made everything with my heart and soul. Thanks.