Porcupine Tree and future concerts.

sclemur

Jul 23, 2002
Barcelona
Visit site
These days I'm in some kind of concert marathon.
A few days ago I attended Vital Information. Yesterday I attended Porcupine Tree's show. This band is totally awesome live, being much more energetic and heavier than on their recordings while still keeping great soundscapes and atmospheric passages. I have never been a devoted fan of them, but sure their live performance was killer and I personally highly recommend you to see them live if you have the opportunity. During the concert I wore the mighty Sun Caged T-shirt and to my surprise 3 people knew the band!!

Next friday I'm going to see The Gathering, a band that I don't know very much (just a 15 song compilation that I had on a CDR that a friend of mine lend me some months ago) , but as I've heard very good things about them and the ticket price was very low, I decided to go. Any tips on this band?

And as if that wasn't enough, during april I'll be attending Scott Henderson, Bireli Lagrene and Pat Metheny. (Not to say that I'm still working on my possibilities to go to Headway). During the second half of the year I will start to move my ass and try to arrange a concert for Sun Caged on Barcelona, but before I should have a little information on how much people would attend that concert (I just know 15 people more or less being optimistic.... a bit poor if you ask me) . If you know anyone living in Spain or outside that would come here to see Sun Caged, please tell me!

Human endurance never ceases to amaze mé!! :D

I know that lots of Dutchies go to Spain for the summer holidays, but then only few of these people care for Sun Caged. They like Imca Marina or BZN better.

Anyway, good for you that the Porc. Tree concert was so much heavier otherwise you'd have fallen asleep over there. I still think most of there albums are tranquilizers. :)

W.

keeper of the flame said:
Human endurance never ceases to amaze mé!! :D
W.
lol.gif

I really hope so, and I really think that they surely will get to be openers for some band touring Europe in a relative short period of time, but while that doesn't happen I'll try everything that's on my hand to see them live be it me going to Holland or bringing them to Spain. If they don't come my way, I'll come theirs.

keeper of the flame said:
I still think most of there albums are tranquilizers. :)

W.

Hmm, not to be too negative, I know what you mean, Wouter. I haven't heard any of their albums, but I saw PT when they supported Dream Theater in 2002.
I found their stuff pretty boring and not particularly inspiring.

But I do get the impression I might have seen them on a bad night or something, 'cause a lot of people who post on good bands' forums like PT. And a lot of great bands work with the main dude behind PT.

Ultima Ibanez Overlord said:
Hmm, not to be too negative, I know what you mean, Wouter. I haven't heard any of their albums, but I saw PT when they supported Dream Theater in 2002.
I found their stuff pretty boring and not particularly inspiring.

But I do get the impression I might have seen them on a bad night or something, 'cause a lot of people who post on good bands' forums like PT. And a lot of great bands work with the main dude behind PT.

Yeah, I saw them for the first time on the DT tour as well. But on a night like that you just want to be rocked by the great Petrucci/Portnoy rockmachine.

However PT is on top of the list of some. I know that the sound on their albums is just great. I've listened to In Absentia and it's a cool production. But the music just puts me in a depressive mood. And who needs that?

W.

FLechdrop said:
I might be going to PT in Amsterdam if I have any money left by then...
And Steven Wilson is a genius :)

Well, they seem to be louder live. And you're right about S.W. It takes a genius to get on top of the list with an album that you don't ever get to listen to the end because you'll be snoring by then :D

W.

Sadly I have never seen Porcupine Tree live... but if you couldn't tell by the avatar, I am a big fan of their music. Usually it doesn't put me in a depressive mood, and it's one of my choices if I'm already in a depressive mood. Either way... I love the band :D

sclemur said:
Next friday I'm going to see The Gathering, a band that I don't know very much (just a 15 song compilation that I had on a CDR that a friend of mine lend me some months ago) , but as I've heard very good things about them and the ticket price was very low, I decided to go. Any tips on this band?

I have the cd Mandylion and thats a great cd. maybe u should listen to that before u go.
i never been to a The Gathering concert. but i heard they are pretty cool live. so have fun!

and now over porcupine tree.

i only heard the cd Lightingbulb sun. i its one of the best cd's i know at the moment. ok its not for great rocking like DT but its very nice. esspecially when u go to sleep :D

I've seen The Gathering live 3 or 4 times. Good live band. Not exactly spectacular, but the style of music doesn't really fit a spectacular stage presence.
They're certainly not boring, though.

My fav cd is probably Nighttime Birds.

D.

You mean they sound better live than on cd? As in.. more energetic?
I'd have to see them live some time I guess...

The production of the latest PT cd (In Absentia) is absolutely killer. High in my list of best productions ever.

Dennis

Redelijk said:
The production of the latest PT cd (In Absentia) is absolutely killer. High in my list of best productions ever.
Dennis

Just curiosity... what are the points that you(or anyone else who feel like responding) value most when it comes to judging an album's production? Which are those albums that top your list of best production ever?

sclemur said:
Just curiosity... what are the points that you(or anyone else who feel like responding) value most when it comes to judging an album's production? Which are those albums that top your list of best production ever?

A good production is very subjective. It's different for everyone.
What I like to hear, in a nutshell, is room. I like when I put an album on my headphones, that I can clearly hear every intrument on itself. I like fat drums (bassdrums) and a punchy guitar sound. It's hard to explain..

Some of my faves would be:
- Simon Phillips - Another Lifetime
- Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle
- Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
- Pain Of Salvation - One Hour By The Concrete Lake
- Liquid Tension Experiment - both albums

I will probably remember lots of other albums soon too. But these are the ones that come up right now....

D.

Redelijk said:
A good production is very subjective. It's different for everyone.
What I like to hear, in a nutshell, is room. . I like fat drums (bassdrums) and a punchy guitar sound. It's hard to explain..

Some of my faves would be:

- Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle

D.

ITEC is one of my favourite albums too. But the funny thing about it is that the drums have been recorded with only two mics I read in a special article about this album on the DPRP.

Though I think the production is excellent on In Absentia I still don't like the album enough to buy it. There has to be more than that to make it interesting. I'm sorry , it puts me to sleep. :zzz:

Wouter