Porcupine Tree and future concerts.

Hmm, interesting that 3 of th albums ou like th production on I don't really like. The LTE albums are fantastic, but I think the production on both aren't great.
Also on One Hour, I find the production quality a little low. But as you say, it's a very subjective thing.

One of my favourite productions is Images & Words. I can hear virtually every nuance of every instrument on that album.
Also, as much as people say they hate Bob Rock, I love the jump in production quality from ...And Justice For All to the Black Album. With the exception of the instruments' technical merits, everything seemed to jump up in quality on the Black Album.

Just my opinion, mind.

Definitively, production is a very subjective matter. There are many factors for me that are important when valuing production:
- every instrument and sound must be clearly heard clearly by itself.
- the intensity of the song must go together with the sound of its music. For example, many crescendo parts are ruined because there isn't a proper growing atmosphere between the "low" and "high" parts. If at a time the song explotes into a heavy passage, you have to really hear the music explote, not just hear that the guitars have gained distorsion. It's difficult to explain, but apart from the music itself, production play a very important part in those passages.
- I also like a very fat drum sound (bozzio, pain of salvation), dry punch guitars (though in that case the attack of the player counts a lot), etc...

I don't like I&W, as the sound of drums is too "artificial" for me. LT says nothing special to me in terms of production. However, in the "galaxy" of Dream Theater recordings, I think that "Falling into Infinity" is exceptionally produced.
Other great productions for me:
- Porcupine Tree - "In absentia"
- Devin Townsend - "Terria"
- Pink Floyd - Pulse
- Extreme - III sides to every story.
- Pain of Salvation - Perfect Element pt.1

keeper of the flame said:
ITEC is one of my favourite albums too. But the funny thing about it is that the drums have been recorded with only two mics I read in a special article about this album on the DPRP.
LOL. I know *exaclty* how the drums on ITEC were recorded since I discussed it into details with both Arjen and Ed. Definately not 2 mics man :) Nice fairytale...
The drums were recorded at studio RS29 by Oscar Holleman. In a very conventional way. Close miking. Around 12 to 15 mics/tracks.

Dennis

Redelijk said:
LOL. I know *exaclty* how the drums on ITEC were recorded since I discussed it into details with both Arjen and Ed. Definately not 2 mics man :) Nice fairytale...
The drums were recorded at studio RS29 by Oscar Holleman. In a very conventional way. Close miking. Around 12 to 15 mics/tracks.

Dennis

Damn it, I'll sue DPRP!! What a bunch of crap! :Shedevil:

Wouter

The truth is.....??????

I do believe what you said in here about talking to Arjen and Ed on the drums.

But damn it, here's what was written in the Counting Out Time section of the DPRP. And It looks very much like they are quoting Arjen :err: in line 5.

Ed Warby played drums with Dutch metal bands Elegy and Gorefest. Since Into The Electric Castle Warby has continued to work with Arjen, drumming on both Flight of the Migrator and the new Star One project. He will also play the drums on the upcoming European tour.

Arjen: "Ed Warby is a real virtuoso on drums. I was looking for a drummer like the Dream Theater guy, but he would also have to swing like Bonham (Led Zeppelin). Led by an advice from Oscar Holleman I asked Ed, whom I only knew from Gorefest. Within two days all the drums were on tape and Ed was happy that he could do something different on his drums for a change. No samples and other tricks, but just hitting it with only two microphones recording everything. I think that was the most important move for the album."

the album they are talking about seems to be ITEC, since this part was mentioned in a rather long article about it

Now who is telling the truth here???

Wouter

Demonspell said:
I just refuse to believe that an audiophile like Arjen would use that simple of a drum setup... :)

So do I. But you see I merely copied part of the article here that quotes the master himself. DPRP has always been a reliable source. So I wonder what the truth is behind this quote. And truth is often stranger than fiction :)

Wouter

The drums are definately not recorded with 2 mics. I guess the interviewer misinterpreted this during the interview.
Happens alot when they don't record the interview, but only make notes. They then sometimes remember things wrong...

D.

Killer productions (overall sound of all instruments + vocals):

Opeth - Damnation
Ayreon - ITEC
Star One - Space Metal (specially the vocals of Russel)
Extreme - III Sides
Deep Purple - Purpendicular
Pink FLoyd - Pulse
Spock's Beard - V
MArillion - Brave
Dream Theater - Awake & FII
Devin Townsend - Terria
Ayreon - The Dream Sequencer
Angra - Rebirth
Planet X - Moonbabies
PoS - Remedy Lane, OHBTCL
Steve Vai - P&W