Porcupine Tree-FOABP

cant get enough of this album. all the tracks are superb. just the continuous theme gets very tiring.

What continuous theme are you speaking of? Like, the overall concept of the album?

In any case, I have a VERY strong feeling like nothing will top this album this year. Many listens later, I can safely say this album is on par with In Absentia as the finest PT release yet. The vocal melodies on here are quite brilliant and I'll be DAMNED the production is ridiculously insane - I don't think I have ever heard the drums sound as good as they do on this album (and the fact they are played with such skill is just a HUGE plus.) The solos and guitars and the overall pacing of the tracks is handled to perfection and for the first time in PT's career, there isn't one moment of filler - ALL the tracks are spectacular.
Well, what can I say? :rolleyes: I'm acting like a complete fanboy here - SW does it again and boy did he deliver this time. I just can't believe this album literally came out of nowhere for me as I was not anticipating it at all. You can't even begin to compare this with Deadwing - far and away better.

And from what I've been reading, it's good to know that people here know what they're talking about...as usual haha. Yeah, I can totally understand why Anesthetize and Sentimental seem to be the faves...I agreed...at first, hehe. While neither are my faves now, they haven't lost their initial brilliance. It's just that I discovered something new in "Way out of Here" that grabbed my attention. It's my favourite, as I love the vocal melody line - overall, it's just such an interesting song.

1. Way out of Here
2. Sentimental
3. Anesthetize

I find these three nearly on par with each other - Anesthetize is incredibly grand and beautiful. I love how it seems to go all over the place with such incredible variety - if someone finds this song boring, I'd be damn shocked. Aargh, so finely crafted - this is like musical bliss, to be honest.

** :headbang: Looks like it's the most acclaimed album so far in the band's career - best reviews yet and it entered the billboard chart 200 at 59. :D I honestly couldn't be happier for the band.

What continuous theme are you speaking of? Like, the overall concept of the album?

In any case, I have a VERY strong feeling like nothing will top this album this year. Many listens later, I can safely say this album is on par with In Absentia as the finest PT release yet. The vocal melodies on here are quite brilliant and I'll be DAMNED the production is ridiculously insane - I don't think I have ever heard the drums sound as good as they do on this album (and the fact they are played with such skill is just a HUGE plus.) The solos and guitars and the overall pacing of the tracks is handled to perfection and for the first time in PT's career, there isn't one moment of filler - ALL the tracks are spectacular.
Well, what can I say? :rolleyes: I'm acting like a complete fanboy here - SW does it again and boy did he deliver this time. I just can't believe this album literally came out of nowhere for me as I was not anticipating it at all. You can't even begin to compare this with Deadwing - far and away better.

And from what I've been reading, it's good to know that people here know what they're talking about...as usual haha. Yeah, I can totally understand why Anesthetize and Sentimental seem to be the faves...I agreed...at first, hehe. While neither are my faves now, they haven't lost their initial brilliance. It's just that I discovered something new in "Way out of Here" that grabbed my attention. It's my favourite, as I love the vocal melody line - overall, it's just such an interesting song.

1. Way out of Here
2. Sentimental
3. Anesthetize

I find these three nearly on par with each other - Anesthetize is incredibly grand and beautiful. I love how it seems to go all over the place with such incredible variety - if someone finds this song boring, I'd be damn shocked. Aargh, so finely crafted - this is like musical bliss, to be honest.

** :headbang: Looks like it's the most acclaimed album so far in the band's career - best reviews yet and it entered the billboard chart 200 at 59. :D I honestly couldn't be happier for the band.

Glad to see you like the album Alcapoth.

I must admit, the album is very catchy and very easy to get into. In fact, I was amazed on the very first listening. The production is, as expected, top-notch. All the songs shows interesting ideas.

That being said, after hearing the album multiple times, I realize Porcupine Tree doesn't evolve. It just sounds like a rehearsal from their old stuff with a few variation here and there. Also, some heavy segments feel a little bit "random" in some songs. I'm seriously questioning Steven Wilson's ability write heavy stuff. Some Meshuggah-like riffing feels out of place IMO and frankly, he's no Fredrik Thordendal.

Howerver, I think the album DEFINITELY worth the purchase. There's no doubt that it's a solid progressive rock release. Will most definitely make my top 10 list by the end of the year.

Cheers

yeah just the whole "young kids are so shit these days" theme. ive heard enough on how im meant to be getting stoned in the mall and popping pills and cracking the shits at my parents. its just a completely overexaggerated biased view of the world and after 6 tracks filled with it it tends to get on my nerves.

@Sadguru: Well, you KNOW I always respect your opinion as you always support them with reasonable statements. But, hehe, I'm not with you on this one. First of all, some of the finest bands around have never shown an ounce of evolution or progression, etc - the likes of Guns 'n Roses, Metallica, Rush, or even Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath haven't strayed TOO far from what seemed to work for them. Basically, it boils down to the fact that it shouldn't really matter whether or not they evolve. In actuality, I do believe they have evolved just enough to stay somewhat fresh. I mean, they went from an all-out psychedelic band in their earlier works to something more in the likes of LS/IA and now to DW/FoaBP. The new album is a nice combination of DW meets IA, and is different enough for me to notice as well as appreciate the difference and is similar enough for me to actually enjoy it (as I did IA, to the highest degree.)

I just want to hear good songs...good songwriting (and, what you thought of as random I thought of as an element to enhance the song - this is what deadwing SHOULD have been like...playful, full of energy, mixed with soothing moments of tranquility - being surprised by cool musical moments that you were least expecting to hear. In fact, this is what prog-rock should be all about. THIS is what good music should be all about. I, personally, find this exciting.) I found the song structures amazing, as evidenced in the epic Anesthetize where so much is happening yet it still finds its way back to those familiar parts in such notable fashion.

This here is Porcupine Tree at their best so far, in my personal opinion. Plain and simple. Of course, others will not share this opinion and that is fine (some even still like DW better, and that's cool), but this is one album that I simply cannot seem to put down. And that, my friend, speaks louder than words can possibly describe.

**The chorus in Way out of Here is some of the MOST inspirational stuff I have heard in a while...it kinda makes me feel nostalgic for some reason, with that stunning vocal melody. It soars and is delivered with flair. I'm hoping someone understands exactly what I mean...it's that kind of melody that absorbs you and sticks with you.**

Ok, it's pretty obvious I think I'm obsessed with this album right now...:erk: jesus!

Stupid Dream really stepped their game up but signify is a really good album too.

@Sadguru: Well, you KNOW I always respect your opinion as you always support them with reasonable statements. But, hehe, I'm not with you on this one. First of all, some of the finest bands around have never shown an ounce of evolution or progression, etc - the likes of Guns 'n Roses, Metallica, Rush, or even Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath haven't strayed TOO far from what seemed to work for them. Basically, it boils down to the fact that it shouldn't really matter whether or not they evolve. In actuality, I do believe they have evolved just enough to stay somewhat fresh. I mean, they went from an all-out psychedelic band in their earlier works to something more in the likes of LS/IA and now to DW/FoaBP. The new album is a nice combination of DW meets IA, and is different enough for me to notice as well as appreciate the difference and is similar enough for me to actually enjoy it (as I did IA, to the highest degree.)

I just want to hear good songs...good songwriting (and, what you thought of as random I thought of as an element to enhance the song - this is what deadwing SHOULD have been like...playful, full of energy, mixed with soothing moments of tranquility - being surprised by cool musical moments that you were least expecting to hear. In fact, this is what prog-rock should be all about. THIS is what good music should be all about. I, personally, find this exciting.) I found the song structures amazing, as evidenced in the epic Anesthetize where so much is happening yet it still finds its way back to those familiar parts in such notable fashion.

This here is Porcupine Tree at their best so far, in my personal opinion. Plain and simple. Of course, others will not share this opinion and that is fine (some even still like DW better, and that's cool), but this is one album that I simply cannot seem to put down. And that, my friend, speaks louder than words can possibly describe.

**The chorus in Way out of Here is some of the MOST inspirational stuff I have heard in a while...it kinda makes me feel nostalgic for some reason, with that stunning vocal melody. It soars and is delivered with flair. I'm hoping someone understands exactly what I mean...it's that kind of melody that absorbs you and sticks with you.**

Ok, it's pretty obvious I think I'm obsessed with this album right now...:erk: jesus!

I see your point, and I certainly respect it! BUT (there's always a "but" right?), Pink Floyd not showing an once of evolution? From The Darkside of the Moon to Wish You Where Here to Animals to The Wall...that shows a tremendous progression. Each one of these albums has a definite "flavour" to it. Moreover, I think they literally reinvent not only themselves, but the music as we knew it. Yet, they managed to keep their "Pink Floyd" signature sound on each one of those albums. As far as I'm concerned, they are a testimony of what true musical creativity is all about. They have the "100% real" seal to it, so to speak. Keep in mind though, I'm certainly not saying that bands SHOULD show an obligatory drastic change from albums to albums. Trying to "force" originality is way worse than sticking to the good old formula IMO.

That being said, I like when albums have their own taste, so that the musical experience is unique in itself. With Porcupine Tree, I feel I'm going through the same trip since In Absentia. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the new album, far from it. Like I said, it has MANY nice ideas, the songs are beautiful and catchy, the production is superb. I can tell there's a lot of effort put into it. I would go as far as saying it's Porcupine Tree's strongest release yet.

That being said, I like when albums have their own taste, so that the musical experience is unique in itself. With Porcupine Tree, I feel I'm going through the same trip since In Absentia. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the new album, far from it. Like I said, it has MANY nice ideas, the songs are beautiful and catchy, the production is superb. I can tell there's a lot of effort put into it. I would go as far as saying it's Porcupine Tree's strongest release yet.

:D Fair enough!

But about Pink Floyd, sure they progressed through each album but it isn't like their sound was drastically different. Stuff off Wish you were Here and The Wall are quite reminiscent of each another. Dark Side of the Moon on the other hand is noticeably different than those two. ANd yes, the earlier works were completely in a different realm than what they progressed to become years later (it wasn't really my cup of tea, though.) In any case, PT shows a great deal of progression over the years as well even though a few albums are similar in style.

@Bluesky: :headbang: Oh fuck yeah!

@Madtinus: Totally see where you're coming from. I know, terrific band. But there's something "classic" about the new album that I can't quite put my finger on.

Wish you were here, animals, and the wall are by far the best pf cds.

So far, I never really got into Signify, some good songs like "Waiting", but overall not nearly as convincing as the albums that followed i.m.o.

When I thought about it, my PT faves are "Stupid Dream", "Recordings" and "Deadwing" I think.
Sleep of No Dreaming is surely up there with their best songs.

For me "Stupid Dream", "Lightbulb Sun" and "In Absentia" are the three true masterpieces.
Both Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia have some clear less good songs i.m.o. like "Shesmovedon" and "Feel So Low" (LS) and "Strip the Soul" and "The Creator Has a Mastertape" (IA), so that's why as albums as a whole I don't hold them as high as the others.

SD and Recordings have no weak songs and "Deadwing" has maybe one ("Halo").
Sleep of No Dreaming is surely up there with their best songs.
That one's pretty good too yeah, but the album as a whole...

Both Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia have some clear less good songs i.m.o. like "Shesmovedon" and "Feel So Low" (LS) and "Strip the Soul" and "The Creator Has a Mastertape" (IA), so that's why as albums as a whole I don't hold them as high as the others.

SD and Recordings have no weak songs and "Deadwing" has maybe one ("Halo").That one's pretty good too yeah, but the album as a whole...
What!?!? All those songs are freakin genius!

hehe.. well I can agree that "Shesmovedon" isn't that good but "Feel So Low" is actually one of my favourite PT songs :) "In Absentia" has three of my five favourite PT songs in "Blackest Eyes", "Trains" and "Collapse The Light Into Earth" so that's why I'm ranking it so high

:D Fair enough!

But about Pink Floyd, sure they progressed through each album but it isn't like their sound was drastically different. Stuff off Wish you were Here and The Wall are quite reminiscent of each another. Dark Side of the Moon on the other hand is noticeably different than those two. ANd yes, the earlier works were completely in a different realm than what they progressed to become years later (it wasn't really my cup of tea, though.) In any case, PT shows a great deal of progression over the years as well even though a few albums are similar in style.

Humm, I've always thought Wish You Where Here to be fairly different in style than The Wall. One is a psychedelic epic mostly made of long, atmospheric tracks while the other is more conventional in structure and harsher/rock-ier in sound.

I agree with you that Porcupine Tree shows a great deal of progression over their career. However, their last 3 albums are very similar in style.

Cheers, both bands are great :)