Porcupine Tree-FOABP

Pretty much all the floyd cds are all fairly different. I think IA & DW have some similarities but this one is a bit different from those two. I would still consider all 3 in the same era though.

hehe.. well I can agree that "Shesmovedon" isn't that good but "Feel So Low" is actually one of my favourite PT songs :)
I think it's one of their less good (still good!) album closers, "Stop Swimming" is far superior i.m.o.
"In Absentia" has three of my five favourite PT songs in "Blackest Eyes", "Trains" and "Collapse The Light Into Earth" so that's why I'm ranking it so high
Well, "Heartattack in a Layby" (!!), "Trains", "The Sound Of Musak" and "Blackest Eyes" are also among my absolute PT faves, but somehow IA as a whole simply has some clearly weaker moments i.m.o. where SD, DW and Recordings don't or hardly have.

i have to admit Deadwing didn't do so much for me, bit this new one is really great. it feels like listening to In Absentia for the first time (my first Porcupine record).

Things are in a sad state of affairs, and if the musicians don't push it in the younger generations faces no one will.

the only thing strange to me about Porcupine doing those kind of lyrics is that i feel like they are more like Rush oriented in terms of "adult rock" and i somehow doubt teenagers would fall for Fear Of A Blank Planet.

What!?!? All those songs are freakin genius!
Overall I like PT's melodic side better and those tracks I mentioned are the more sonorous, monotonous tracks* (mainly "Strip The Soul" and "Creator..." and to a lesser extent "Halo"), where it's more about the groove. "Wedding Nails" is another example, I'm not particularly crazy about that either ("Mother and Child Divided" is a lot better I think). But then I do like the 'groovy' track ("Sleep Together") on the new album a lot, those cello arrangements add the magic for me there.

* This does not go for "Shesmovedon" and "Feel So Low" of course, but those 2 songs just seem a bit average for me, I like them (it's not that I'm skipping them), but they don't stand out either. Though I got to appreciate "Feel So Low" a bit more with time and I like "Shesmovedon" too, but it's got a bit of a 'shallow pop song' vibe to it.

Speaking of individual songs, what's your thoughts on "Gravity Eyelids"? I think it's real cool. Cool mix between psychadelic and heavy
I like it! What you said ;)

What about .3? Really nice ambient song, great mood.

Found this on the forum where this interview was posted (thanks for that, great intie!), PT as Southpark characters :)

ptsouthparksmall-1.jpg

The Sound Of No One Listening.
First time I heard it the hairs stood up on back of my neck.
Id say Moonloop and Sound of no one listening are PT's BEST instrumentals:worship:

PRODIGAL...best song on In Absentia! (MAN, that chorus! Amazing vocals on SW's part.) :erk: Why on earth no one has mentioned it, is beyond me? Trains very close second, though...Sound of Muzak, then Gravity Eyelids, Blackest Eyes....stunning album, aye.

And what the hell??? Shesmovedon is the BEST song on Lightbulb Sun for me, and this makes it one of the best PT songs overall as well. You guys REALLY think it's weak? Wow...this surprises me. What a beautiful chorus vocal melody. Just...awesome. And, I saw them play it live which was mindblowing.

As for Pink Floyd again...yes, all albums are quite different but not remarkably so. And the song Wish you were Here is hardly psychedlic (it would be more along the lines of the Comfortably Numb/Hey You style for sure - that album has a nice balance of both elements.

What's beyond me is that no one mentions "Heartattack in a Layby", cause THAT my friends is the best song on IA! Period!

1. Heartattack in a Layby
2. Trains
3. The Sound Of Muzak
4. Blackest Eyes
5. Prodigal
6. .3
7. Lips of Ashes
8. Gravity Eyelids
9. Collapse the Light Into Earth
10. Wedding Nails
11. Strip the Soul
12. The Creator Has a Mastertape

PRODIGAL...best song on In Absentia! (MAN, that chorus! Amazing vocals on SW's part.) :erk: Why on earth no one has mentioned it, is beyond me? Trains very close second, though...Sound of Muzak, then Gravity Eyelids, Blackest Eyes....stunning album, aye.
Yeah, Prodigal is excellent! But not the best i.m.o., see my previous post.
And what the hell??? Shesmovedon is the BEST song on Lightbulb Sun for me, and this makes it one of the best PT songs overall as well. You guys REALLY think it's weak? Wow...this surprises me. What a beautiful chorus vocal melody. Just...awesome. And, I saw them play it live which was mindblowing.
It just seems a bit 'ordinary' compared to many other PT songs. "Last Chance..." (my fave on LS if you'd ask me now), the titletrack, "How is your Life Today", "Hatesong" are all far superior i.m.o...

haha everyone's liking different songs ;) that's a sure sign of IA's pwnage though :)

For me its:
1. Trains
2. Collapse The Light Into Earth
3. Blackest Eyes
4. Heartattack In A Layby
5. Prodigal
6. Gravity Eyelids
7. .3
8. The Sound of Muzak
9. Strip The Soul
10. Lips of Ashes
11. The Creator Has A Mastertape
12. Wedding Nails

What's beyond me is that no one mentions "Heartattack in a Layby", cause THAT my friends is the best song on IA! Period!

2. Trains
3. The Sound Of Muzak
4. Blackest Eyes
5. Prodigal
6. .3
7. Lips of Ashes
8. Gravity Eyelids
9. Collapse the Light Into Earth
10. Wedding Nails
11. Strip the Soul

Heartattack In a Layby is amazing. Also one of my favourite PT tracks. But im surprised so you're all putting Wedding Nails so low. Its a great instrumental imo.

Here's my IA list...
2. Trains
3. Wedding Nails
4. Blackest Eyes
5. Collapse the Light Into Earth
6. Gravity Eyelids
7. The Sound Of Muzak
8. Lips of Ashes
9. Prodigal
10. .3
11. Strip the Soul

And for FOABP...
1. Anesthetze
2. Way Out Of Here
3. Fear Of A Blank Planet
4. Sleep Together
5. My Ashes
6. Sentimental

The whole album is just brilliant as a whole. It was very hard to make that list.

As for Pink Floyd again...yes, all albums are quite different but not remarkably so. And the song Wish you were Here is hardly psychedlic (it would be more along the lines of the Comfortably Numb/Hey You style for sure - that album has a nice balance of both elements.[/COLOR]
Yeah but Wish You Were Here is really a parenthesis on the album. That 5 minutes-ish track is radically different in style from the other songs. In the end, what really matters to me is that whether or not an album has its own personality and all those Pink Floyd albums mentioned earlier definitely fit that bill.

Shemovedon sounds much better on Deadwing (secret track I guess...track 10) I know Steven Wilson refers to PT as a "progressive" band, but I wonder why he doesnt play more stuff off of Sky Moves Sideways,Lightbulb Sun and tracks besides Evenless off of Stupid Dream. Dont get me wrong I cant wait til I see them next Thursday night, but I am just wondering why they dont play old stuff live.