Porcupine Tree-FOABP

I once read in an interview that especially in the US they don't play that many pre-In Absentia tracks because IA was the first PT album that got released officially in the US, so very few US-fans knew the pre-IA stuff.

Maybe now they're getting a lot more popular, they might dust off some older stuff for upcoming tours..

Well I hope they dust off Moonloop at the show...I can then die a happy man. Cant think of a better song than Moonloop that Id LOVE to hear live.

I once read in an interview that especially in the US they don't play that many pre-In Absentia tracks because IA was the first PT album that got released officially in the US, so very few US-fans knew the pre-IA stuff.

Maybe now they're getting a lot more popular, they might dust off some older stuff for upcoming tours..

You know, the sad thing is that it's true. In Absentia is my favorite Porcupine Tree album overall, but there's so many amazing songs from the older albums, it's a shame they don't play the older stuff here. I'd kill to hear songs like Small Fish, Fade Away, Waiting (Phase One), Sever, and Dark Matter played live. Even stuff from Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun would be awesome.

Well, on another note, I finally got around to listening to Fear Of A Blank Planet. While it hasn't moved me like In Absentia or some of the older ones have, it's still a pretty impressive album in its own right. Anesthetize worked pretty well, though not as well as Arriving Somewhere... did. Most of the songs were pretty good, but the standout track that really moved me would have to be Sentimental. Definately one of their most impressive songs to date. Overall, I'd tentatively give the new PT cd an 8/10.

Yes Waiting(phase 1) would be incredible. Id also like to hear some really deep and tripped out stuff like The Sound of No One Listening, Colourflow in Mind:worship: ,Sky Moves Sideways or Radioactive Toy. I know they could still do it, but Wilson must want to leave their "spacey" tracks in the past. Ill try to post a setlist from the Park West show next Friday for you guys.
I hope there is less Deadwing on the setlist.

Shemovedon sounds much better on Deadwing (secret track I guess...track 10) I know Steven Wilson refers to PT as a "progressive" band, but I wonder why he doesnt play more stuff off of Sky Moves Sideways,Lightbulb Sun and tracks besides Evenless off of Stupid Dream. Dont get me wrong I cant wait til I see them next Thursday night, but I am just wondering why they dont play old stuff live.

Yep, totally agree. :) It's better on DW and it's so great that it's actually on there.

Isn't it just incredible how music can grow on you, cause at first I didn't really dig "Sleep Together" much at all, also after 10-20 listens.. But then it started happening, my god, what an AWESOMELY insanely twisted GREAT song it is!! Fucking hell, just 100% AWESOME! Those twisted intro bleeps that just go on, those killer 'drunk' string/cello parts, the incredible drumming (groove!!!!).. :worship:

Yep, totally agree. :) It's better on DW and it's so great that it's actually on there.

i actually hate the DW version. the original is amazing... the solo near the end blows me away everytime.

im waiting for PT to announce an australian tour. theyre going to japan so why not fly just that bit further? plenty of fans down here.

Isn't it just incredible how music can grow on you, cause at first I didn't really dig "Sleep Together" much at all, also after 10-20 listens.. But then it started happening, my god, what an AWESOMELY insanely twisted GREAT song it is!! Fucking hell, just 100% AWESOME! Those twisted intro bleeps that just go on, those killer 'drunk' string/cello parts, the incredible drumming (groove!!!!).. :worship:

Haha, it personally took me around 3 listens to truly appreciate this track but either way, I totally understand what you mean. Couldn't agree with you more on what you said here. Sleep Together ESPECIALLY sounds magnificent the LOUDER you crank up the volume. The sounds are insanely cool.

Aye, I have a feeling there's no way ANY album will be able to top Wilson's masterpiece this year. I listen to it through the day, during the night...it still amazes me how cool the whole damn album sounds. Way out of Here is still my favourite.

@Bluesky: Ok, I'm curious only because Prodigal happens to be my #1 song off IA. What exactly doesn't click with you?

@biggsy: You hate it? Really? They're awfully similar and love them both, but I do have to say DW's is slightly tweaked. It seems it has more of a "punch" to it, which I really like. The production is more spot-on.

Prodigal just doesn't do much for me. It doesn seem as dark as the other tracks either.

I always think of that cheesy 80's song (sweet harmonY?) when I listen to Sleep Together, that kind of ruins the song for me :erk: I might have to listen to it more to forget that reference though. Besides that, great song!

You know, the sad thing is that it's true. In Absentia is my favorite Porcupine Tree album overall, but there's so many amazing songs from the older albums, it's a shame they don't play the older stuff here. I'd kill to hear songs like Small Fish, Fade Away, Waiting (Phase One), Sever, and Dark Matter played live. Even stuff from Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun would be awesome.

Well, on another note, I finally got around to listening to Fear Of A Blank Planet. While it hasn't moved me like In Absentia or some of the older ones have, it's still a pretty impressive album in its own right. Anesthetize worked pretty well, though not as well as Arriving Somewhere... did. Most of the songs were pretty good, but the standout track that really moved me would have to be Sentimental. Definately one of their most impressive songs to date. Overall, I'd tentatively give the new PT cd an 8/10.
Your wish is granted...Sever is finally in the setlist. Ill try to post a setlist 4 u lads, ill be at the show Thursday night. I have a feeling this show is going to be legendary!:worship:

NO SETLIST SPOILERS PLEASE!! I'm seeing them in the end of June and I'd like to be surprised, damnit, I already 'accidentally' found out a few songs I'd love to have been surprised by.

PM setlists to eachother or whatever, but please don't fucking post them without warning.

I'm going to see them in June as well, for the first time. I'm really curious how they are going to play all these layers of music on a stage.

The new album is pretty good. The unfortunate thing about this album is that the songs are getting a little less better everytime I listen them. So that is quite the opposite of most of you guys here. Especially FOABP and Sentimental start to bore me now, while these were my favourite tracks at first. I don't really love My Ashes but is still pretty good. Anesthetize has some excellent parts but the overall structure is a little disappointing imo, no climax etc. At the moment I still enjoy the last 2 songs.

So overall the album is a little disappointing to me, to be honest. I still consider In Absentia to be their best album, but I don't know all the stuff before stupid dream.

Anesthetize has some excellent parts but the overall structure is a little disappointing imo, no climax etc.
Dude, this song builds to a climax like no other! Starting with the percussion (tom roll) part, then to the groovy part, then the brutal Metal explosion and then the serene ending (Water's so warm that day...).

Anyway, if you post a pic we could meet up at the gig June. At least, if it's the Amsterdam gig you're going to.

Heh, I was gonna post a setlist (at least all the songs that I know) since I just saw PT in San Francisco this past Friday. Good thing I didn't. :)

Killer show btw...it being my first time seeing PT.

I'll just be vague and say that not all of the songs performed are new. :lol: