Port Noir

MelbCro

Feb 25, 2011
Saw clips of this band Port Noir posted a couple times in the song of the week thread, but I think these guys really deserve their own thread.

What a voice! Their debut album Puls kicks so much arse and I highly recommend it to any prog fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES! Port Noir is one of the most incredible new Swedish bands of the last couple of years. Amazing music and phenomenal skills from all three of the guys. I have listened to "Puls" close to a hundred times by now and I can not get tired of it at all. By far the disc I've listened to the most in the last 6 months.

It's a shame that their label has completely fucked the ability to actually buy Neon. Not listed in Amazon U.S., Amazon UK won't allow the purchase to U.S. buyers. I don't know about iTunes because I don't use them. Only option is to stream on Spotify, which I hate.

Yes, it's a shame that the album is only available through Spotify (or Youtube) for those of us here in the US. However, the band is currently talking to the label about changing that, so it'll also be available through other channels (iTunes, Amazon Music...) - hopefully that'll all be sorted out soon.

PORT NOIR REVEAL NEW ALBUM DETAILS

"...Sweden’s Port Noir will release their second full-length opus on April 1st via Century Media Records (World excl. North America, Nordic) and Razzia Notes (Nordic). The album is entitled Any Way The Wind Carries and contains 12 brand-new tracks.

The band comments on Any Way The Wind Carries: "Ever since the release of Puls, we've been writing and recording new material, trying to develop the current sound and find new ways to express our feelings via music. We really tried hard to find the perfect arrangements for the songs, in length, in melodies, harmonies and instruments. Everything. What we tried the most was to get to the point in our songs more quickly, so the listeners get a point of what they're listening to before getting bored of a 2 minute long intro.

“We also opened our doors to synthesizers this time. During the process of writing material for the album, we were heavily inspired by 80's film music and other electronic music. We tried to integrate that vibe into our compositions, and you'll hear some of that on the album...."

portnoiralbumfeb.jpg

The new album is so good, I can't stop playing it. Man this band should be huge in the prog scene, what an absolute injustice that they are so unknown.

Listened to Onyx, pretty good. Should I start trying them out on the new album or is there a better starting point?

might as well just start with the new album, if you like it then check out the debut.

Man, these guys are REALLY really good. I hear hints of Caligula's Horse and Leprous in here which is pretty much as good as it gets.