Portnoy left DT

It sure as sin is. Observe as they now lay on thick that they are not indie nor hardcore, but 'progressive metal'. Observe as they now utilize absurd and superfluous time changes, coupled with off key background vox and lyrics that appear written by a 15 year old.

LaBrie is not a bad vocalist. The sum total of what the band makes is just not very interesting.

It sure as sin is. Observe as they now lay on thick that they are not indie nor hardcore, but 'progressive metal'. Observe as they now utilize absurd and superfluous time changes, coupled with off key background vox and lyrics that appear written by a 15 year old.

Isn't Portnoy in a different age group? The whole thing seems like it would be awkward for the band and fans ("who's this geezer?" they will say) Either way, we don't need more watered down faux-"progressive" metal, I agree. Tool, Kamelot, Between the Buried and Me, etc. are more than enough.

i think most would agree that this would still be an improvement
Either way, we don't need more watered down faux-"progressive" metal, I agree. Tool, Kamelot, Between the Buried and Me, etc. are more than enough.

how are these "watered down faux" ?

I would prefer Kamelot and BTBAM over A7X anyday. However, I'm getting really sick of the whole growling business. I think Portnoy after doing the Transatlantic tour and album was probably thinking "if I have to play another prog song, I'm going to go insane!". I don't think he has really liked prog in a long time if ever, and it's obvious he really wanted to steer DT away from it which could never happen because when everyone thinks of prog metal, they automatically think of DT. Joining A7X will be the biggest mistake of his career.

^^Indeed.

Kamelot is power metal with prog tendencies. Their new album is only a bad credit to them for the first 4 songs or so; then it is quality all the way. I agree that Tool and BTBAM are hacks & lame prog metal excuses.

But really faux prog metal = DT 2001-present.

I don't know about any of you, but when I hear the term prog metal, the first thing I think of is Symphony X.

Portnoy leaving is the best thing that can happen to the band.

Now they just need to get all the other guys to leave.

So true about Rush.

Kenny, you obviously love the sound of your own words bouncing across the screen, all whilst holding your own opinion in the highest of regard.
I would suggest leaving subjects alone for which you have no clear knowledge.
Obscure Transylvanian folk metal seems much more your thing.
Thanks buddy!

:wave:

Of course I love my opinion. Where did I deny my self righteous asshole self anything less? :D

And yeah, I'd rather listen to Negura Bunget than Dream Theater. But again, that's my opinion. Which is a fucking awesome opinion, in my opinion.

Sorry guys and girls but DT are and have been much more progressive than Symphony X. Symphony X kinda give it away with the name in that they are symphonic metal with progressive elements.
More recent songs like Octavarium and The Count of Tuscany are full of the basic characteristics of progressive music. I'll admit that the last few records have been inconsistent and scattered with a few bland, radio friendly songs like Wither and Forsaken. Some tracks like Prophets of War and Repentance I can't even listen to.
I'm conflicted with Mike leaving...while I do think it will shake things up in a positive way...there's no denying that he's the heart of the band.
With that said, it seems from new press being released that his leaving will not be for long. I can see one record and tour cycle with a hired gun before he's back. And yes, Thomas Lang would be very cool!

Hope they don't find a drummer they like better than Mike because this could turn into a lawsuit battle down the road if he wants to come back. When he is out in the cold, bandless, with nowhere to go he will come begging to come back because he will feel like SUperman who lost his powers.

Sorry guys and girls but DT are and have been much more progressive than Symphony X. Symphony X kinda give it away with the name in that they are symphonic metal with progressive elements.
More recent songs like Octavarium and The Count of Tuscany are full of the basic characteristics of progressive music. I'll admit that the last few records have been inconsistent and scattered with a few bland, radio friendly songs like Wither and Forsaken. Some tracks like Prophets of War and Repentance I can't even listen to.
I'm conflicted with Mike leaving...while I do think it will shake things up in a positive way...there's no denying that he's the heart of the band.
With that said, it seems from new press being released that his leaving will not be for long. I can see one record and tour cycle with a hired gun before he's back. And yes, Thomas Lang would be very cool!

I agree, I would not put DT under the "faux" blanket. They have earned their stripes as a genuine progressive band. But admitting that does not mean I have to enjoy their music. As for more progressive than SX? I'm not so sure. As far as innovations to the genre and unique tendencies...I'd say SX has the edge. Nobody was playing anything like The Divine Wings of Tragedy when it came out, whereas DT's arguably most innovative album Images and Words was already sort of a been there done that thing, even if it was pretty good.

Compare Octavarium to Divine Wings, for instance. DWoT is a much more rigorous, complex, and satisfying song for me any day. Octavarium uses the whole "several pop songs strung together" thing for writing prog epics, which is fine (indeed the Odyssey is somewhat more like this too), it's just not really valid from where I'm standing to say they're more progressive than SX. And Count of Tuscany? Come on, that song was a train wreck.

I also don't like "spot the influence" prog, which DT does a lot of (oh look, ELP keys! Pink Floyd interlude! Instrumental mimicking Supper's Ready! Metallica riff! Kansas instrumental!) Has another band written something like Egypt or Church of the Machine? Maybe to some extent, but not really.

In the end it gets a bit pointless when people start trying to claim what bands are "progressive" and what aren't. It's the same with any genre - if people think the genre is good they'll say "Only [the bands I like] are true [insert genre I like], bands like [the bands I don't like] are watered down [insert genre] or [insert insulting genre]."

As far as bands that are considered progressive metal at all (whether you think they're true prog or not), Dream Theater is my favourite, they are one of my favourite bands. Symphony X are actually a second favourite for me. Knowing those are the ones I like the best is enough for me. And indeed I only really came to listen to Symphony X through Dream Theater, so whether you like DT's music or not, there must be a way for someone else's tastes to overlap to like both DT and SX.

In fact I found SX to be very similar to DT. SX's vocals are better obviously :D and their approaches to songs are different, but they are still pretty similar (and I'm saying that as a good thing, not an insult). I think DT get a lot of undeserved hatred due to hype backlash - so many people go on like they are the best band, so when people don't agree they treat them with dislike and disrespect rather than indifference or a less enthusiastic appreciation.

I agree, Symphony X is more than enough. :tickled:

:yuk:

It's the same with any genre - if people think the genre is good they'll say "Only [the bands I like] are true [insert genre I like], bands like [the bands I don't like] are watered down [insert genre] or [insert insulting genre]."

Just got done saying DT is a true progressive band but I don't like them anyway. There goes that theory.

I know, that wasn't to you. But often people take the "I don't like it part" and take that to mean they don't fit some genre they see as good. That's what I've often seen in genre discussions anyway.

LaBrie is not a bad vocalist. The sum total of what the band makes is just not very interesting.

Isn't Portnoy in a different age group? The whole thing seems like it would be awkward for the band and fans ("who's this geezer?" they will say) Either way, we don't need more watered down faux-"progressive" metal, I agree. Tool, Kamelot, Between the Buried and Me, etc. are more than enough.

Kamelot is good dude... don't insult them! Though I do agree they are sort of different. Different is good you purists. It's called unique. Dream Theater, is also unique. You guys are ignoring the fact that Dream Theater was one of the first of these types of bands. Therefore, very important.