Portrait of Peter

Ok, now I understand the pose. In the original picture Peters right side (our left) is too dark to really make out where his arm and shoulder should be positioned. You chose to put more light next to his neck instead of just straight black and it makes the arm appear as if its starting below his neck, almost to the bottom of the v in his shirt. In the original picture you cant see his arm but I have a feeling it would start around the bottom of his chin to the middle of his neck. I think this makes his arm appear lower than would be a normal sitting position with your drawing. It almost make him look like hes trying to do some 70's disco move while keeping a straight face, lol. I would have picked a better picture with stronger lighting for my reference. When your using black and grey the main focus is on how dark or light each detail should be (obviously), which means you should pick pictures that really let you see every little detail so you can shade appropriatly. Comparing the two pictures side by side his facial features are slightly elongated (mostly forehead, bridge of nose, and chin). I still think the shading is fine on the right side of the chin, lol. All the dark shading is on the left side of his facial features because the light source is coming from the right. Shading both sides of the chin would throw it off and make it look less realistic, its shaded the way the refernce picture shows it should be. The blurriness is probably because this is a scanned picture made out of pencil. Im sure it looks sharper in person. The use of negative space in the hair is my favorite part. I love how each one of your portraits has something that really stands out to me. With Mike it was his eyes and with Peter its his hair. This is an amazing portrait, especially for only being 16. Your obviously very good at copying what you see. Hopefully you'll take my observations as constructive criticism and not insults. You can have a million people tell you that your art is great but that wont do you any good if your trying to become a better artist. Theres always room to grow. Awesome job though.

I just saw your picture on your deviantart site. I totally dig that labret, thats hot. A chick that likes Opeth, is an artist, and looks good to, they dont make em like that in Ohio, haha. Allright Im gonna stop with the flattery, your going to get a big head, lol.

:yow: what a looong thread! I'm not even able to understand eveything with my level in engish! but Thank you very much for this criticism!

I just saw your picture on your deviantart site. I totally dig that labret, thats hot. A chick that likes Opeth, is an artist, and looks good to, they dont make em like that in Ohio, haha. Allright Im gonna stop with the flattery, your going to get a big head, lol.

:lol: hot?? really? Fortunately, there are no pics with my 13 piercings at my ears!! :lol: or else... i prefer not to imagine!

Despite it being incredibly pathetic saying so about people over an internet forum - i must agree, you are an attractive girl.

But yes.. the main reason i wanted to post was to say.. FUCK.. I saw your deviantart page.. And your Mikael Akerfeldt drawing is.. Simply stunning. I have absolutely no criticisms for you on that picture. Well done.

I still think the shading is fine on the right side of the chin, lol. All the dark shading is on the left side of his facial features because the light source is coming from the right. Shading both sides of the chin would throw it off and make it look less realistic, its shaded the way the refernce picture shows it should be. The blurriness is probably because this is a scanned picture made out of pencil. Im sure it looks sharper in person.

I meant HIS right, of course. And I think that you could break up the dullness of that area by deepening the darkest shades there, without comprimising the direction of light or realism. I guess it all comes down to wheather you're drawing a picture of Peter or a picture of the picture.

I've never been fond of the whole copying a photograph thing, allthough it's very educational of course. I'm more interested if you've done anything on your own, with out any referance. I'll check out your site.

And agreed about critique: it's the best. You might feel angry about it, but eventually you learn more from it.
And you're only 16. You are awesome. I wish I could do that, I don't have the accuracy. Try moving away from referances, try drawing from your head, draw the images that you get. If you focus more on that, you're gonna be huge talent when you get older.

I meant HIS right, of course. And I think that you could break up the dullness of that area by deepening the darkest shades there, without comprimising the direction of light or realism. I guess it all comes down to wheather you're drawing a picture of Peter or a picture of the picture.

I see your point, I thought you were refering to the right side of the portrait from the viewers perspective, which is why I didnt agree.

To the artist: sorry if I was hard to understand. The jist of what I said is you need a better reference picture with more light, his right arm (our left) is a little too low, the hair is stellar, and dont take criticism as an insult but as a learning tool.

To Opeth_353, why is it incredibly pathetic to say that shes attractive over the internet? I saw her picture and she looks good in it, so I said so, lol. Seeing as how shes half way across the planet, I think the chance of me getting to tell her in person is a little unlikely. Sense everyone seems to be blowing thier load over a pencil drawing of Peter, I thought the hot girl who made it deserved a compliment as well.

Wow all of that artwork is soooo good. Too bad that fuckin' Chino Moreno shit is tight as a bitch too hahah. Damn that chick is badass.

:OMG: Girl....you are AMAZING!!! I'm speechless, really...the illustrations are fucking magnificent. Did you look off of a picture or some magazine pic at all? Whatever the case, it's flawless. I'm on DeviantArt as well - I'm gonna add you as a friend, if that's ok.

Ïm really jealous of your talents amazing stuff!

I once tried to draw one of the "ghost" pictures from the mayh booklet, but it looked awful lol

Stunning talent you have there.. makes me want to dig out my sketch pad, it's been a long time since I put pencil or paint to paper.